Please help and tell me what this thing is!! No one has been able to identify it!

Firedancintracy

Dec 10, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the strangest little thing I have ever seen. My friend gave me this years ago, he dug it up on his family's settlement approximately around 40 years ago. It is about 2 1/2" long and it appears to have been "tatooed" as the ink designs are not lying on the surface. It is solid on one end and one tiny deliberate hole on the other. As you can see it also has designs carved into it. Any help in enlightining me on what this is, and what it was used for would be greatly appreciated. IMG_6038.JPGIMG_6033.JPGIMG_6034.JPGIMG_6035.JPGIMG_6036.JPGIMG_6037.JPG

Upvote 0
it is ceramic and has nothing to do with native peoples on any continent...it has no great age to it.

Upvote 0
Maybe the weighted end of a windchime

Upvote 0
It is definitely not ceramic. It is light weight, is 2 1/2" long but only weighs 9.2 grams. It feels more like a organic material, like coral or something like it. Plus the inked designs are in the material almost like a tattoo, which could not be done to a ceramic

Upvote 0
ceramics is what i do....the designs could easily be done in that fashion on that piece. and if you look at the holes, they were not carved but were "punched".

Upvote 0
Unclemac I know you can't look at it through a loupe like I can or touch it, but I wish you could. It is not ceramic that I am sure of. The designs do look kind of punched in the pictures but under magnification you can see they are most likely not, due to the start/stop type marks and each one being different. I do appreciate your opinion and am glad you have one to share with me

Upvote 0
Thought if I couldn't ID it myself..might as well come up with a very interesting "what it is not" option, right?. Glad you got a laugh out of it.

Upvote 0
To see if it is Bone or not, stick your tongue out and touch the object (use only the tip) if it sticks it is bone if not it can be anything. Hey on a side note I can't play a guitar, piano or drums but that doesn't mean there still not instruments.LOL

Upvote 0
To see if it is Bone or not, stick your tongue out and touch the object (use only the tip) if it sticks it is bone if not it can be anything. Hey on a side note I can't play a guitar, piano or drums but that doesn't mean there still not instruments.LOL
haha You got a heck of a point there!

Upvote 0
Does it stand if placed on it's solid side?
Would an incense stick stay upright without overturning your find if you place it in the off-center hole?

Upvote 0
Does it stand if placed on it's solid side?
Would an incense stick stay upright without overturning your find if you place it in the off-center hole?
It does stand on it's own, I'm assuming it would stay standing if I was able to fit an incense into the hole. I will have to try that. Thanks!

Upvote 0
You should post it in the North American "indian" section . I don't know why people always call us Indians but whatever.. First world problems.. Someone who knows a lot more then us can probably help you there! Sorry I couldn't help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My understanding of the term "Indians" is that it's what Columbus used because he thought he had reached India. Technically, anyone who is born in America is a native American. Why can't we all just be Americans regardless of our origins and without all the qualitative terms.

Upvote 0
My understanding of the term "Indians" is that it's what Columbus used because he thought he had reached India. Technically, anyone who is born in America is a native American. Why can't we all just be Americans regardless of our origins and without all the qualitative terms.

Because people are way to PC these days, and have to keep reminding others how their peoples were wrong in the past. My mother is half Seminole...and she calls her family Injuns..lol

I was born in American...So I'm native American too

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back