Please help and tell me what this thing is!! No one has been able to identify it!

Firedancintracy

Dec 10, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the strangest little thing I have ever seen. My friend gave me this years ago, he dug it up on his family's settlement approximately around 40 years ago. It is about 2 1/2" long and it appears to have been "tatooed" as the ink designs are not lying on the surface. It is solid on one end and one tiny deliberate hole on the other. As you can see it also has designs carved into it. Any help in enlightining me on what this is, and what it was used for would be greatly appreciated. IMG_6038.JPGIMG_6033.JPGIMG_6034.JPGIMG_6035.JPGIMG_6036.JPGIMG_6037.JPG

Upvote 0
I have seen this form of spiral many places. Usually associated with sky-gods. Remember,,,when things were carved or drawn in early days it was usually something that affected the person who carved/drew it.

Are you sure it cannot be "played" ? It may take a very soft breath to make sound versus a hard blow like a regular flute type instrument.

Upvote 0
I've heard it called a Celtic Spiral but it is common in nature (sheep horns, shells, etc.) so it is used about everywhere.

54105.jpg

Upvote 0
I have seen this form of spiral many places. Usually associated with sky-gods. Remember,,,when things were carved or drawn in early days it was usually something that affected the person who carved/drew it.

Are you sure it cannot be "played" ? It may take a very soft breath to make sound versus a hard blow like a regular flute type instrument.
You are right and just because I can't play it doesn't mean it can't be played!Thanks for the interesting information as well!

Upvote 0
That size, small vent holes, ceramic.

Pie funnel? (aka Pie Chimney, Pie Bird, Pie Vent). Used to let the steam out from under a pie's crust while it bakes. I'm really stretching here.

blocks_image_6_1.png

FUN7014.jpg

Upvote 0
I've heard it called a Celtic Spiral but it is common in nature (sheep horns, shells, etc.) so it is used about everywhere.

View attachment 1090550
Thank you I will learn more about that. That is one very cool thing about this little mystery it has made me research things I would have never learned on my own!That makes it priceless!

Upvote 0
That size, small vent holes, ceramic.

Pie funnel? (aka Pie Chimney, Pie Bird, Pie Vent). Used to let the steam out from under a pie's crust while it bakes. I'm really stretching here.

View attachment 1090565

View attachment 1090567
Thank you Charlie for all the possibilities!! I would have never thought of that, **** I didn't even know that was a thing, but now I thinkg I need one Lol! Of course if I don't already have one :)

Upvote 0
It is astonishing how many "things" exist that people come across. Billions of distinctive small objects. There have been some posted here that go for years with constant activity. If you take any given 1930's tractor apart there are probably 3,000 pieces - some that just don't look tractorish.

I find the ones that appear to be purpose built for something fun to try and hunt down.

If you look up in the banner there is a "Liberty Revolutionary War Belt Buckle" that I am almost certain is a needle plate from a Liberty sewing machine - but he didn't ask here so I won't throw that at him. ;-)

Upvote 0
It is astonishing how many "things" exist that people come across. Billions of distinctive small objects. There have been some posted here that go for years with constant activity. If you take any given 1930's tractor apart there are probably 3,000 pieces - some that just don't look tractorish.

I find the ones that appear to be purpose built for something fun to try and hunt down.

If you look up in the banner there is a "Liberty Revolutionary War Belt Buckle" that I am almost certain is a needle plate from a Liberty sewing machine - but he didn't ask here so I won't throw that at him. ;-)

Isn't that the truth!Funny thing is the gentleman who gave it to me brought it to me to identify because I usually can track things down. I love research and learning new things and just the high you get when you finally solve a mystery! P.S. You should probably tell the guy his belt buckle isn't from the revolutionary war and is from some ladies sewing room Lol!!

Upvote 0
My understanding of the term "Indians" is that it's what Columbus used because he thought he had reached India. Technically, anyone who is born in America is a native American. Why can't we all just be Americans regardless of our origins and without all the qualitative terms.

yes maybe Columbus made a mistake, doesn't mean everyone else should.. That was a long time ago. We are trying to figure out what this thing is not mistaken identity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I'm guessing that it is some sort of Native American "soul catcher" ...Soul catchers were a Shaman's most prized tool used to heal patients. The Shaman would inhale the patient's soul into the cylinder and hold it there with plugs while the Shaman performed purification ceremonies to ward off illnesses or evil spirits. After purification, the Shaman would place the cylinder against the patient skin and blow the healed soul back into the patient. just a guess
shaman symbols.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm guessing that it is some sort of Native American "soul catcher" ...Soul catchers were a Shaman's most prized tool used to heal patients. The Shaman would inhale the patient's soul into the cylinder and hold it there with plugs while the Shaman performed purification ceremonies to ward off illnesses or evil spirits. After purification, the Shaman would place the cylinder against the patient skin and blow the healed soul back into the patient. just a guess
View attachment 1090934
Wow that is fascinating! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely look into that

Upvote 0
found this pic online, these have a similar shape. will keep looking. These are made of ivory.ivory.jpgI also found some info on Cylinder seals. These are made of clay and when rolled on soft clay they leave an impression , design or a message. seal.jpgshell.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
your charm

This is the strangest little thing I have ever seen. My friend gave me this years ago, he dug it up on his family's settlement approximately around 40 years ago. It is about 2 1/2" long and it appears to have been "tatooed" as the ink designs are not lying on the surface. It is solid on one end and one tiny deliberate hole on the other. As you can see it also has designs carved into it. Any help in enlightining me on what this is, and what it was used for would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 1090367View attachment 1090368View attachment 1090369View attachment 1090370View attachment 1090371View attachment 1090372

Looks like a charm to be worn around the neck.. with possibly more pieces. I see nothing that would say its Native American but the spiral has been used and seen in Hopi Symbols as well as in other place carved in glyphs. Not sure about the flower signs I will ask a Native American I know and may be he will shed some light he made many things when he lived on the reservation . Usually they have meaning of some kind so maybe he can shed some light good luck..

Upvote 0
Take this with a grain of salt since I have no experience or evidence to support my suggestion beyond a thought that jumped out at me as I looked at the pictures.

It looks like an old wine cork that may have solidified some how depending on how it was stored. It would explain the single hole in one end and the tattooed designs on its sides. I know it's hard like bone, but they use cork for flooring and it could have been soaked in a laquer or something.

Just an off the cuff observation.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421234312.698228.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421234333.600334.jpg

Upvote 0
I fine this quite curious. Museums are the best place to fine out what things are. Some have a web page you can send in your pictures. It's been my favorite go to for stuff I cannot identify. Let us know

Upvote 0
I have seen similar relics from the great lakes region.Native Am. Bisck,not sure of the spelling, a type of pottery that has been fired.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back