Not sure if it is a handle or something (More photos) (SIZE & other side added)

eawoman

Jun 4, 2011
Miami FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO GARRETT
Not sure if it is a handle or something (More photos) (SIZE & other side added)

*** Everyone's been asking about the size.. It is 6 inches long. At first it looked like it was silver plated but now as I clean it, it looks like it is copper???? It was also found on the beach. I am so confused.

Hello this was one of the items I found hunting today. It does not have any word marking that I can see only the decorative wiggle lines going down the handle. It does not seem like a broken off handle the end is rounded and smooth. Well hopefully someone has an idea. THANKS IN ADVANCE. Elizabeth

Thanks for the guess of screwdrivers but it is all metal and does not seem to be a screwdriver handle but then again I do not know what it is.. thanks again..

Attachments

• june112011-1.JPG
    june112011-1.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 721
  • handle2.JPG
    handle2.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 706
  • handle1.JPG
    handle1.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 698
  • handle backside.JPG
    handle backside.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 495
  • handlenew image.JPG
    handlenew image.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 496
Re: Not sure if it is a handle or something

This type screwdriver is what it reminds me of, does it look like it had wood handles?

Attachments

• 05R0103.jpg
    05R0103.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 715
Upvote 0

it could be a early 1900's wood handled screwdriver with the tip modified for an unknown purpose.

Upvote 0

bigcypresshunter said:
Is that paint on it?

When I found it, there was some white residue not sure if it is paint but it is all metal.. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
Re: Not sure if it is a handle or something (More photos)

It is a silver oar from the annual trophy of the Milwaukee Rowing Club. They race canoes. The real question is, how did a portion of a highly coveted trophy, second only to the hockey thingy, get to Key Biscayne? Perhaps this is part of a sick prank, like when they steal the Big Boy or the Chile from Chili's. Think about it. Then laugh. Then send the rubber room attendants. Really. I need help. Mding in the sun too long.

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger said:
It is a silver oar from the annual trophy of the Milwaukee Rowing Club. They race canoes. The real question is, how did a portion of a highly coveted trophy, second only to the hockey thingy, get to Key Biscayne? Perhaps this is part of a sick prank, like when they steal the Big Boy or the Chile from Chili's. Think about it. Then laugh. Then send the rubber room attendants. Really. I need help. Mding in the sun too long.

:icon_scratch: Are you serious?

Upvote 0

Me thinks High Plains Digger speaks with tongue in cheek :tongue3:
otherwise...

My gut instinct is that the object is used as a winding mechanism - maybe something like the 'key' which used to be used to open sardine cans.

Some idea of size will be helpful.

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0

Yes, how big is it?

Upvote 0

I'm thinking it is an vintage mixing paddle (for food, cocktail alcohol, or dental pharmaceutical. ) The pic below are all food mixing paddles and are made of wood. A mixing paddle used for medicinal purposes, like a vintage Dentist mixing paddle used to mix the creme paste for impressions, would need to be metal so it could be put in a sterilizer.

All of the above could be in vain because really need to know the size as Peachy requested. If it is smaller than hand held, it could very well be a decorative as Dano said.

Interesting find, Breezie

Attachments

• MixingPaddles.jpg
    MixingPaddles.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 621
  • boat_0117.jpg
    boat_0117.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 613
Upvote 0

Looks like an oar to me. The squiggly lines could represent water and the little bobble at the end could be where it slotted into a model or old clockwork / tin plate boat or something.

Upvote 0

Hello all I dont remember what its called but it looks like a old auto body work tool. Back in the old days lead was melted and used to fill in seams and things as bondo is today. It looks like the spreading tool with old lead still on the tool.

Upvote 0

Breezie: I am sorry, but the trophy you are showing is from the Wisconsin Rowing Club. As you may know, they compete in the "full contact" version of the sport. Close though, and a very nice pic. And now we know where all the canoe paddles went, resulting in the use of an oar to paddle a canoe. This has given us a 2 point handicap, and had helped in many a victory (the 2 pts.). There is a sliver of truth in the ravings of a mad man. More detecting on tap for today: 95 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, and we are 4000 feet closer to the sun than many of you. 5000 feet closer than you in Key Biscayne.

Upvote 0

I was going to agree with Breezie its from an electric mixer because it looks as if it has the type of end that would push and lock in place. (covered with a silvery white gooey substance) But High Plains Digger sounds as if he knows his paddles but also mentions the "ravings of a madman" lol. Ive seen it all before and we will need a matching picture to green check this one. 8)

http://www.huskycrew.com/1970.htm

Welcome to TN eawoman. I lived in Miami many years.

Attachments

• wisconsin rowing club trophy.jpg
    wisconsin rowing club trophy.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 579
  • high plains digger.jpg
    high plains digger.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 569
Upvote 0

Wait a minute! Is this thing larger than a canoe paddle or smaller than a sardine can key? :icon_scratch: We need to know the size eawoman, unless I missed it.

Upvote 0

It's a mini oar as stated...green check!

Upvote 0

romeo-1 said:
It's a mini oar as stated...green check!
How big is it? I searched back and cannot find the size stated. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger said:
Breezie: I am sorry, but the trophy you are showing is from the Wisconsin Rowing Club. As you may know, they compete in the "full contact" version of the sport. Close though, and a very nice pic. And now we know where all the canoe paddles went, resulting in the use of an oar to paddle a canoe. This has given us a 2 point handicap, and had helped in many a victory (the 2 pts.). There is a sliver of truth in the ravings of a mad man. More detecting on tap for today: 95 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, and we are 4000 feet closer to the sun than many of you. 5000 feet closer than you in Key Biscayne.

HighPlainsDigger, Mmm, didn't know y'all shot cannons during the race; it must have REALLY been a contact sport back in the day. Wear your hat, it will help preserve the rest of the brain cells in the 95 degree weather. :laughing7: Breezie

BCH, I think this mixing paddle was hand held, and not the type that fits into an electric mixer. The tip is similar, but not right for electric.

Upvote 0

Breezie said:
BCH, I think this mixing paddle was hand held, and not the type that fits into an electric mixer. The tip is similar, but not right for electric.
OK Im sorry I may have mis-agreed (word?)with you. ;D And thanks for your opinion.

I have never baked a cake but I am mechanically minded and under all that silvery goo, I still think it looks like the lock in type end of an old electric mixer. It doesnt have to be food necessarily. I found this pic in a rush look at the very end. Now if its the size of a canoe paddle or sardine key, forget the whole thing. :D

ADDED: Maybe its a hand held paddle mixer with exchangable blades? Its hard to tell under the goo. It just looks like a lock in type attachment end. But of course I could be wrong just guessing.

Attachments

• mixer.jpg
    mixer.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 539
Upvote 0

the decrotive pattern on the shaft NNNNN makes me think "model' oar -- but the
"odd" tapered snap in type end looks like it could be part of a mixer blade for a blender* *---the keys being known for partying --more than rowboat races -- I go with blender part.

sounds like plahbah -- has kin folks -- you any relation high plains digger?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back