Not sure if it is a handle or something (More photos) (SIZE & other side added)

eawoman

Jun 4, 2011
Miami FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO GARRETT
Not sure if it is a handle or something (More photos) (SIZE & other side added)

*** Everyone's been asking about the size.. It is 6 inches long. At first it looked like it was silver plated but now as I clean it, it looks like it is copper???? It was also found on the beach. I am so confused.

Hello this was one of the items I found hunting today. It does not have any word marking that I can see only the decorative wiggle lines going down the handle. It does not seem like a broken off handle the end is rounded and smooth. Well hopefully someone has an idea. THANKS IN ADVANCE. Elizabeth

Thanks for the guess of screwdrivers but it is all metal and does not seem to be a screwdriver handle but then again I do not know what it is.. thanks again..

Attachments

• june112011-1.JPG
    june112011-1.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 721
  • handle1.JPG
    handle1.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 698
  • handle2.JPG
    handle2.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 706
  • handle backside.JPG
    handle backside.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 495
  • handlenew image.JPG
    handlenew image.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 496
Re: Not sure if it is a handle or something (More photos)

bigcypresshunter said:
...the size.... ....we need the size ;D

And I might add, we need the material too because we have no idea if it is plated silver, aluminum, stainless, etc. The Victorian times were known for their gaudiness, and I can see a silver or silver plated cocktail oar stirrer stuck in a Mint Julep while watching the Yacht Club Regattas. Check out these Victorian yachting clothes:
http://historical.darien.org/costumecollection.htm

Upvote 0

bigcypresshunter said:
...the size.... ....we need the size ;D

not something you should be shouting about :laughing9:

Upvote 0

Ivan--don't know what plabah is, but we could be related or something.

Breezie may have an oar out of the water. You can clearly see 5 oars on the port side of the Spanish rowboat, but are there 5 on the other?? Has she been traveling around and leaving the 5 starboard oars on beaches to mystify new detectorists? And the biggest question, does 3 cannon on a rowboar make it a warship??? Tune in tomorrow. Still love that photo. What is that boat, anyway? I was lying about the Wisconsin rowing club--they never had one. Season is only 3 weeks long, and then the lakes are frozen again. Sorta like the Jamican Olympic sled team.

Elizabeth--you find has certainly provoked some good discussion. And some amusement. And some idiocy, mostly on my part. I apologise that I was so frivolous. Please show us the size of the oar.

Upvote 0

romeo-1 said:
It's a mini oar as stated...green check!

How do you know it is an Oar?? If it is where did it come from and do you have a picture of another one?? Elizabeth THANKS

Upvote 0
Re: Not sure if it is a handle or something (More photos) (SIZE & other side added)

After seeing the other pics, I'm convinced it's a food related. It's either a spreader or shucker. Some Mommie took bread & peanut butter to the beach to make sandwiches for the kids and the peanut butter knife/spreader got lost with the blanket shake. If that doesn't feel right, try a vintage child's oyster clam shucker.

Ahh, did we ever find out the size? :laughing7: Breezie

author=High Plains Digger
Still love that photo. What is that boat, anyway? The Titanic. :wink:

Attachments

• ChildsOysterClamShucker.jpg
    ChildsOysterClamShucker.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0
Re: Not sure if it is a handle or something (More photos) (SIZE & other side added)

Breezie said:
She added to her post that it is 6 inches long and now that she cleaned it, it looks like copper.

It sure does look like copper in the new pic. :icon_scratch: Elizabeth, try testing it with a magnet to see if it sticks. :icon_thumright:

If its solid copper, Im going to change my guess to somerthing electrical. ;D

Upvote 0

Breezie said:
After seeing the other pics, I'm convinced it's a food related. It's either a spreader or shucker. Some Mommie took bread & peanut butter to the beach to make sandwiches for the kids and the peanut butter knife/spreader got lost with the blanket shake. If that doesn't feel right, try a vintage child's oyster clam shucker.

author=High Plains Digger
Still love that photo. What is that boat, anyway? The Titanic. :wink:

The round end is not fit be a shucker and the flattened end is too wide.. It does look like a minature Oar sort off but the round end doe not fit any oar's I have seen and the wiggly lines??? HMMM

Upvote 0

The shiny copper makes me think its an electrical part of some kind and the residue may be an anti-oxidant/anti seizing compound. Test it with a magnet (if you have on your fridge) to be sure its solid copper.

A wild guess: It looks like some kind of copper ground strap that I have seen on a breaker box.

BTW where did you find it? By a homesite?

Upvote 0

bigcypresshunter said:
The shiny copper makes me think its an electrical part of some kind and the residue may be an anti-oxidant/anti seizing compound. Test it with a magnet (if you have on your fridge) to be sure its solid copper.

I do not have a magnet at home.. will test it and let you know tomorrow. THANKS

Upvote 0

This is similar to what Im thinking but yours is copper. Some electrical ground straps have a hole for a screw and some are clamped down.. They attach in different ways. But its still a guess at this point. ;D

Attachments

• ground strap.jpg
    ground strap.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 385
Upvote 0

Could it not be a butter knife????

Cheers

Upvote 0

AKiwi said:
Could it not be a butter knife????

Cheers

The "Paddle end " is too fat to be a butter knife in my opinion.. It is interesting this piece.

Elizabeth

Upvote 0

i am going to say its a crucible stirring stick...

Upvote 0

item appears to be zinc coated as well as mass produced. Wild guess is a spreader for some caned food of some sort.

Upvote 0

lostcauses said:
item appears to be zinc coated as well as mass produced. Wild guess is a spreader for some caned food of some sort.
I dont think its zinc coated copper. She said that it has residue on it and she has been cleaning it off. Underneath appears to be shiny copper so its not old. If its solid copper, I doubt it would be any kind of spreader, spoon or butter knife IMO.

Did you find a magnet eawoman? Do you think its solid copper? Can you bend it?

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger said:
Ivan--don't know what plabah is, but we could be related or something.
Anyone seen plebah lately? plehbah member.jpg

Upvote 0

I started searching again with no luck. ;D Its tough sometimes to ID from the pictures. We need to know the metal composition. Magnet test to start. Also tell us where you found it. (home, beach, school, church, farm etc)

Im going to take a guess that this item is solid copper/bronze. Im also going to guess modern. Not many items made today are solid copper unless they are plumbing or electrical related. Its also shiny under the goo. I still think this item is an electrical grounding strap for a special application, lost during construction. The silvery grey goo could be an antioxidant compound or someone may have used it to stir paint. My guess it bends, like in my second picture, if necessary.. The NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN's remind me of rebar but can also be for better gripping of a ground clamp.

Attachments

• ground strap.jpg
    ground strap.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 265
  • electrical clamp.jpg
    electrical clamp.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 294
  • ground strap.jpg
    ground strap.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0

not on a long long time --wonder where da crazy man is at? plehbah that is.

Upvote 0

ivan salis said:
not on a long long time --wonder where da crazy man is at? plehbah that is.
Someone told me they saw him on the wagon at a homeless shelter with his dog and metal detector. :wink: :wink:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back