• colchester march 1st. 404.jpg
    colchester march 1st. 404.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,061
  • colchester march 1st. 405.jpg
    colchester march 1st. 405.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,059
Upvote 0
glad it was solved but.........

could someone explain to me why people find them in farm fields?

Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
That's either where the house or trash pit was in the day.

Daryl

The reason this bothers me is this: We find these buggards more frequently than we find furniture decorations. We also have only found One example at a site. It would make sense that if one were there, we should be finding both sides (two total).

:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
Just because you don't find it doesn't mean it's not there. ;D

Daryl

Hundreds of homesteads hunted in the past 18 years, and 10 sites that had one of these on them--but not two of these?

I think that's a little odd, but maybe we should talk about this again in another 18 years when I have more data on these items. :P

-Buck

Upvote 0
Never two? Hmm. Anybody EVER find two at one place??? Chime in.

In the US, we had a different scenario. Our cropped fields are fairly new. Not so much moving around of trash and/or dirt. It was common practice to toss an item out of a house, barn, or workshop into the bushes when it was no longer needed. Sort of out of sight out of mind mentality. So house sites are littered with stuff tossed out. Most places had a "burn pile" but these do not seem to be burned so I don't think it was one of these sites that got turned into a field and plowed around.

Sometimes there would be an area that would be the "dump" and things were taken there. It could be a one house dump, a small number of houses close together dumping in a common site, or later a town dump.

So if these are found in both places and are "everywhere" there is a bit of a conflict.

Maybe these things are like pieces of lead in the UK. Is there not a field in the UK without lead. The "crap" is everywhere.

Daryl

Upvote 0
These are have all been found at one-house dumps (although dump is not quite the word for it...they basically tossed trash downhill in all directions from the early houses in my area). You'd think that since it was attached to the shade itself, there would be two showing up. We dig all non-ferrous, and most of the larger ferrous out of every site we dig. The plow wouldn't have dragged a piece like that very far, IMO.

-Buckles

Upvote 0
I agree. That's why I said they just tossed stuff out into the bushes as one type of way of getting rid of stuff.

So maybe they aren't window shade roller ends. Honestly, I have never seen one like this one. All the ones I have found/seen have had a hole in the middle for the rod that was attached to the spring to some through and go in a bracket.

Maybe we need to start over.

Daryl

Upvote 0
I vote to take the green check off, and start over. As Daryl said, the cuff of the screw holes are beveled for the screws to attach going on one direction. This tells me if it was mounted on a wall, there would only be about a 1/2 inch of space between the lip and the wall. Maybe it is some type of hanger/mount or an item to hold a rope where a pulley would be attached. It looks more like a CAP to me. :dontknow: Breezie

Upvote 0
I would suggest that the thread be deleted and start fresh. It's too long now for people to read through.

Maybe say in the new post what we discussed and thought it was, or maybe a summary of this thread, but this is a fresh start at it. We don't need to plow the ground again.

Daryl

Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
I would suggest that the thread be deleted and start fresh. It's too long now for people to read through.

Maybe say in the new post what we discussed and thought it was, or maybe a summary of this thread, but this is a fresh start at it. We don't need to plow the ground again.

Daryl

we could tidy up, I've started deleting mine, others could do the same?

Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
I agree. That's why I said they just tossed stuff out into the bushes as one type of way of getting rid of stuff.

So maybe they aren't window shade roller ends. Honestly, I have never seen one like this one. All the ones I have found/seen have had a hole in the middle for the rod that was attached to the spring to some through and go in a bracket.

Maybe we need to start over.

Daryl
There may to be something ferrous in the center. If you think they dont look like window shade roller ends, then maybe they look more like shower rod ends.

But Im not against removing the green check. Whatever you feel. I may have spoken to soon on thinking it was solved.

I dont think we need to start over, just remove anything that doesnt pertain to solving this item.

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
I vote to take the green check off, and start over. As Daryl said, the cuff of the screw holes are beveled for the screws to attach going on one direction. This tells me if it was mounted on a wall, there would only be about a 1/2 inch of space between the lip and the wall. Maybe it is some type of hanger/mount or an item to hold a rope where a pulley would be attached. It looks more like a CAP to me. :dontknow: Breezie
I dont think it mounts to the wall through the holes. :nono: It would mount to the ends of a wooden rod. The center piece mounts to the wall because it spins. Each side is different. G's piece may be broken in the center. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Its hard to find a pic of an antique window roller shade but I would imagine the principal is the same today. These are the 2 items that would screw to the wall.
http://www.shadepull.com/brackets.html

roller shade wall brackets.jpg

BB's piece would have been nailed to the long wooden rod. A roller shade would be wrapped around it. The center tab fits inside the wall piece and just spins freely. The other side would be a little different because its spring loaded.

G's item appears to be screwed to the roller. The center tab piece may be broken. :dontknow:

Hope this helps explaining how its mounted.

Upvote 0
I believe we are looking at the same part / different mfg. or date.

Designed for the same purpose.

colchester march 1st. 402.jpgcolchester march 1st. 404.jpg
thingy 001.jpgthingy 002.jpg

I remain steadfast in my belief that they go onto the non spring end of a roll up window shade.
Although I also once believed that an egg laying counter device was a part to a camera. :-[

GG~

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Its hard to find a pic of an antique window roller shade but I would imagine the principal is the same today. These are the 2 items that would screw to the wall.
http://www.shadepull.com/brackets.html

BB's piece would have been nailed to the long wooden rod. A roller shade would be wrapped around it. The center tab fits inside the wall piece and just spins freely. The other side would be a little different because its spring loaded.

G's item appears to be screwed to the roller. The center tab piece may be broken. :dontknow:

Hope this helps explaining how its mounted.

Well shoot! Now those ARE pieces that I've found--brass ones with two holes and one slot in the center which usually has wear apparent in only one direction on the slot itself (perpendicular to the line of holes). Dang.

Maybe that IS what these pieces are...

I'm going to take that circular piece and see if the stubby end of it fits well in the center slot of the other pieces... Sorry to take this thread on a complete 360. I'd never given much thought to the other pieces, because I thought they were keyhole escutcheons for trunks or something.

-Buckles

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
Well shoot! Now those ARE pieces that I've found--brass ones with two holes and one slot in the center which usually has wear apparent in only one direction on the slot itself (perpendicular to the line of holes). Dang.

I'm going to take that circular piece and see if the stubby end of it fits well in the center slot of the other pieces... Sorry to take this thread on a complete 360. I'd never given much thought to the other pieces, because I thought they were keyhole escutcheons for trunks or something.

-Buckles
LOL Did it fit?

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckles
LOL Did it fit?

Yeah. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back