New Shipwreck - Take a stab at dating artifacts.

I would definitely tune in! But I have seen some of Jason's videos! :o :o :o Are we sure it will all be G-Rated? ;D

Jason, if you get the chance, I know you guys are using the 1197, would you mind uploading some snapshot images over at the new forum. Need some more picts in the Gallery and would love to see some of the images you guys are getting. Certainly understand if you need to white-out any GPS ccordinates.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com

Robert

RGecy said:
I would definitely tune in! But I have seen some of Jason's videos! :o :o :o Are we sure it will all be G-Rated? ;D

Robert

OK Robert, we are working on doing our first live feed ASAP! I will post here when we are ready but you should go to this link and click FOLLOW and then you will be instantly notified whenever we are live! http://www.UStream.TV/Channel/Shipwrecks

Jason & Mark left yesterday to the far west end of our territory near MontiCristi to do some more exploring on the Punta Luna site today and Scott, Chris, Rick and the Fernandez Brothers are working on the far east end in the Maimon area. Both the East & West Teams are shooting photos and videos so I will have lots to post over the next few days as the weather is awesome!

Here is a video of Jason and the Fernandez Brothers from the other day following the debris trail to determine direction and size of the site with the really old cannon we hope is part of the 1529 Fleet.

GOOD TIMES!

Jack

Jason,

Bro, you need some more weight with all that surge! I thought you were trying to do a head-stand! ;D ;D

Cool video guys, I can't wait to see some shiny stuff!

Robert

Jack,
Enjoy the video's & set to follow on u stream. They make me wish i was there, the water looks warm. I went on a clean up dive last sat. and the water temp was 43*. Cant wait for warmer weather
Thanks, Jeff

Jason,
What is that on your hose between 1st & 2nd stage? Is it a apollo bio filter or a quick disconnect for when you are on surface supplied air? Thanks for the posts & pics of your activities, every day looks like an adventure.
Jeff

diverj said:
Jason,
What is that on your hose between 1st & 2nd stage? Is it a apollo bio filter or a quick disconnect for when you are on surface supplied air? Thanks for the posts & pics of your activities, every day looks like an adventure.
Jeff

I know Jason's gear really well...its a quick disconnect for surface supplied air.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
I am really enjoying this thread, to all involved, thank you very much :thumbsup: love the video's
Best of luck, Ossy

Thank you guys so much Robert, Jeff and Ossy from Down-Under, I will keep posting and producing videos as long as I can! Sorry about the cold water Jeff, I learned Scuba back in '77 in Monterey CA and it was 50 degrees and that was bad enough so I came to the Caribbean in '88...much better!

I think maybe Jason isn't able to get online over in MonteCristi since we haven't heard from him on here so I will answer RELICDUDE07 's question...yup, that indeed looks like a tusk but it is actually a bronze spike that was bent in the wrecking process.

I'm heading to bed as it is fast approaching midnight but I will leave you with a bedtime story...an excerpt from the research by Dr. Lubos Kordac (Bobadilla) on a wreck in our territory and we know right where she probably is...Pirate Booty & Wenches!

The “Black Eagle” – a pirate ship sunk in 1824 in Punta Rusia

Roberto Cofresí was famous pirate – and probably the last real pirate of the Caribbean - of the 19th century. Though born in Puerto Rico in 1791, he
was loved by Dominican people till his death in March of 1825 almost as a national hero. He was often called the Robin Hood of the Caribbean.

Roberto Cofresí was active as a pirate only for a short time – from 1823 till 1825 when he was finally caught and shot dead – but he was extremely successful in his business. During these two years he assaulted, captured and robbed more than 60 ships of different nationalities. He always shared his booty with poor people living on shore of Hispaniola or Puerto Rico and helped fishermen of both nations both with provisions and even with money. No wonder that they tried to help him with warnings, serving as watch or hiding him from Spanish authorities. After one year, in the beginning of 1824, he changed his former ship for the bigger one that he had captured. He named her “Black Eagle”, that was also one of his nicknames that local fishermen gave him.

As a real pirate, though married in Cabo Rojo with Juana Creitoff, he had several affairs on Dominican soil. One of them was young girl in a small fishermen village called Puerto Juanita between Puerto Plata and Montecristi. Not only that, he was supposed to bury two treasures at both ends of a small sandy beach there, but his ship, “Black Eagle” sunk in the small bay in front of the village in 1824. It is highly probable that it had some pirate booty on board and it is known that the ship sank quickly because she caught fire.

Some booty was always on board of any pirate ship and according to the historical documents and information from Dominican historians the “Black Eagle” was arriving to Puerto Juanita when fire spread on board. It means that the ship was coming from pirate activities on the high seas. Roberto Cofresí never came back with empty hands.

The waters in front of former Puerto Juanita are very shallow and clear so the search and salvage works would have very good conditions there!

Well, my TN friends, he sounds like my kind of guy and this sounds like my kind of ship...pleasant dreams of pirate booty and wenches!
G'nite,
Jack

Jack every time i look at this post it just keeps getting better and better !!!! Pirates and wenches this stuff can make a man crazy.. I hope it has many exotic goods onboard....Relicdude

RELICDUDE07 said:
Jack every time i look at this post it just keeps getting better and better !!!! Pirates and wenches this stuff can make a man crazy.. I hope it has many exotic goods onboard....Relicdude

THANKS RELICDUDE07! You are going to love our plan for tomorrow. We just finished the meeting planing tomorrow's activities and there were 15 of us there and we are splitting into three teams. We have a site that is associated with that lone cannon with the tiny cascabel you saw in the video that we hope is part of the 1529 Fleet but there are other cannon there that are newer, there are multiple anchors all with their shafts broken off and all pointing west but one is from another time period...there are several different ballast piles around...and the bottom goes from 1200 feet to 15 in 100 yards with a vertical wall coming up from 55 feet with a pile of river rocks at the bottom of it also! We have wrecks on top of wrecks we think. So two teams are working that area including, weather permitting, digging a test hole into a large sand pocket.

Another team is heading west of the Bay of Isabela, site of the first settlement in the New World set up by Columbus on his second voyage called, I think, Playa Hondo, where there is a site covered with olive jars and other artifacts that could be old enough to be associated with the settlement...wouldn't that be coolness?

As for me, I will be online looking for a bigger work platform...any one know of a suitable salvage boat anywhere from a min of 65' on up to maybe a max of 250' let me know. We could do some kind of a JV/Lease/or Purchase but we could talk about that. If you know of one send me the link...OK, and I will be waiting for the videos and photos to come back to post for you guys to see tomorrow.

Made some headway on the live streaming today too...I have to make a little road trip to a bigger city to get the piece I need and get the cables for the surface feed sorted out on the 2 U/W cameras and I need Jason's help on that and man is he ever busy, but with a huge s**t eating grin on his face! I'll keep you posted!

Good times!
Jack

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. Got back from magging and side scanning in Monte Cristi and the internet has been down. The weather has been horrible here, so the dredge is sitting there lonely on the timbers. Did some beach combing and found lots of spikes, a bronze rudder gudgeon, some ballast and pottery, and a large cast iron spoked wheel hub.

We're expecting a break in the weather in the next few days. We should have some interesting video for you guys the day after it breaks. Only a brief delay...with really cool stuff on the horizon. I'll throw some pics up of the beach finds this afternoon.

Jason

Count me in to view live feeds. I read this thread as often as humanly posible and envy you guys in DR. Keep livin the dream cuz, to quote the man, "today's the day"

I will definitely be here to watch live feed. A quick question; WHY are there so many wrecks in that area?

Hello Gemee,

I will try to answer your question…

Santo Domingo was the first Spanish harbor of importance in the New World established by the Spaniards. Santo Domingo, together with the later founded harbors of Montecristi and Puerto Plata became the most important Spanish ports in the New World in the early period of the Spanish Conquest. Before other commercial harbors in the New World were founded (Veracruz , Portobello, Cartagena , etc.) all the ships were ordered to go first to Hispaniola Island and from here they followed to other parts of the Caribbean and Central America. La Habana was still in 1550 a small town without any importance. La Habana only became important after the fleet system was established in 1553.

The first historic shipwrecks started in this area in 1493 when a hurricane destroyed 5 of Christopher Columbus’s ships anchored in La Isabela Bay. (which lies in our lease area but the bay itself is exempt) Hundreds of ships every year were sailing back and forth around the island and especially alongside the North Coast of the island. There were not only Spanish ships as the first French ships appeared here around 1525 and the first English ships arrived to Santo Domingo in 1537. From that time on Dutch, English, French and Portuguese ships, whose Nations were often at war with Spain, were coming here in higher and higher quantity every year in order to take a little bite from the juicy cake of the New World riches which were in Spanish hands. Corsairs and pirates originated here as well. They were patrolling the Northern and Southern Coasts of Hispaniola Island in search for easy prey.

Tortuga Island, home base of the pirates, corsairs and buccaneer for many years is just 55 miles west from Montecristi and it is historically confirmed that all famous pirates were native in the area between Montecristi and Puerto Plata for many years. Francis Drake, Henry Morgan, L´Olonaise, Hawkins, Black Beard, Jack Bannister, among others and in the later period, Roberto Cofresí, (See The MuseumGuy’s post about pirate ships above) were attacking and sinking dozens of ships in this particular area. Puerto Plata was attacked and sacked several times by the pirates. One of the attacks was led by Hawkins, uncle of Sir Francis Drake. Some of their ships - especially French Corsair ships - were sunken here as well. According to historical research there are AT LEAST 250 registered shipwrecks between Montecristi and Puerto Plata!

Puerto Plata was once a very important Spanish harbor where galleons arrived to complete their cargo. Montecristi became in this period an even more important harbor than Santo Domingo. Ships of practically all nations were arriving there to load hides, wood, silver and gold. Smuggling became so popular in this harbor that even the Spanish Crown was shocked. Hundreds of ships were doing illegal business here for many years. The Spanish Crown even ordered that Montecristi be burned to the ground in 1605 and move the inhabitants to other side of the island to top the smuggling.

It did not take long until the French and English pirates and refugees that were being kicked out of St. Kitts settled there and started a very prosperous business salting and smoking the meet of wild animals. The process rendered what we know today as beef jerky. The hut used to smoke the meat was known among the original inhabitants as a "bucan". The salted meat was sold to passing ships and especially pirate ships that needed it for their journeys and expeditions. The men who did this business became to be known as "buccaneers". When the number of animals drastically reduced, the hunters remained without the income from this work so they started to do what they had seen all these years – they joined the pirates while conserving their own habits, arms and rules.

So many pirate, buccaneer and corsair activities were registered in this area for centuries.
(In my book “Historic Shipwrecks in Dominican Republic and Haiti”, that will be available in English in Florida sometime in July of this year; I describe over 400 historic shipwrecks lost around the island, almost all of them with their name and history.)

No doubt these are the reasons why the 100 coastal miles between Manzanillo and Puerto Plata, which is the lease area of North Caribbean Research, S.A. under official contract with the Dominican Government, is considered by the experts as one of the richest areas for historical shipwrecks in the world.

I hope that answers your question…

Lobo
(Bobadilla)

Thank you so much for responding to Gemee's post Dr. Lubos! I think now everyone will know why we are working where we are!

I look forward to you coming here this week to work with us and since others have recovered coins and other significant artifacts from this site before with no tools whatsoever, this can be very interesting indeed! I truly believe it is part of the 1529 Fleet but we will see!

We may be able to say "Today is the day" soon! I will meet you and go over the plan for the next few days...I hope to not only post videos of our endeavors but to go live from the excavations via UStream (which the link is below) and document for all the excavation in progress...I hope that everyone is ready for that! Jason (ScubaFinder) came by with the crew and set up the underwater cameras for me and I hope to have the up-link ready in time...won't that be exciting? Live from a shipwreck excavation in progress! WOW! Has this been done before? :icon_study:

What a great team we have and what a positive future lay before us!

I go to bed now with visions of sugar plums and treasure on my mind...See you soon my friend,
Jack

I know this is off topic, but not sure where it best fits. Question is, how's th poitical environment in the DR. I've heard in the past that it was a bit unstable and not a healthy place for Americans. Just curious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back