Need help with aging this beautiful peice

H

Holly_squirrel

I wanted to find something decorative.... Finally I did.... In a big way. This won't thrill men like a civil war buckle would ... Lol ... But I'm in love with it. Backstory... My grandparents passed and I was detecting at their old property. Part of this was sticking out of the creek bed... There was like a landslide of tbe bank ... And there this was. My mom said as a kid she remembers them digging at tbe spike of this thing.

image-493310853.jpg

Then it was covered up... I guess it's been working its way out in recent years. There is a property in view of this thing, that was built in late 1800s and another even older than that. This didnt wash down from them, because it wouldn't had to go upstream... But maybe it was dumped. I've spent hours on it already .. It was like a huge barnacle... But the iron is so incredibly durable and non brittle... So given all that info can anyone give me an educated guess at the age?

image-3052482932.jpg

I made Buddy sit in for size reference... Lol.. Not happy about being told to sit and stay

image-2213339265.jpg

Upvote 0
Uuuuhhhgggg , I can't stand it, I got to go unplug it... Lol

Upvote 0
Uuuuhhhgggg , I can't stand it, I got to go unplug it... Lol

Holly, relax it's ok... You can unplug it when your not home and at night if it makes you feel better. I leave mine going all the time on engine start to. It's just like my pellet stoves, it took me some time to build confidence in leaving them going when were not home but now I dont give it any thought. Trust me it needs time to work but you can spread it out over many days if you need to.

Upvote 0
Oh God the pellet stove is my nemesis ... Do you have a back up in case you lose power? We lose power often( alot of trees).... And man the entire house filled with smoke. Now I sleep in the same room with it when it's running, cause tbe kids room is next to it in the living room ... And I worry about carbon monoxide .. I got a detector for it.... But I don't trust the battery backup... Lmao.. I got issues

Upvote 0
Holly, We lose power a fair amount. I have a generator in case and it can run our entire home. I heat with a smaller pellet stove and a large pellet furnace (forced hot air). When power goes out I get a little smoke in the house but not much as both units are hooked to at least 3 feet of vertical chimny.

Upvote 0
We got a woodstove in the basement and a pellet in our family room . Maybe it has to do with the pipe ... It goes out straight out the back wall .. And cause it can't blow it out.. It fills up inside. We got a power switch for running the house off a generator... But it don't kick on automatically...

Upvote 0
We got a woodstove in the basement and a pellet in our family room . Maybe it has to do with the pipe ... It goes out straight out the back wall .. And cause it can't blow it out.. It fills up inside. We got a power switch for running the house off a generator... But it don't kick on automatically...
Holly, that pellet stove really should be hooked up to a chimney that rises at least three feet so as to draft automatically when power is disrupted. I would worry more about fire with the woodstove versus the pellet stove.

Upvote 0
Here is a picture of the same model furnace as mine although this is not my stove as it is easier to get a pic off the internet.
images

Upvote 0
Here is a picture of my little stove:
images

We are heating about 2500 square feet

Upvote 0
dieselram94 said:
Here is a picture of my little stove:
We are heating about 2500 square feet

We got the same one... :) . Do you have any issue with the glass turning black? We spend Alil more and get Dry Creek... But it gets just as black.. We have to clean it often.

Upvote 0
Yeah mine turns black in about a day to day and a half on setting 2. What concerns me more is the burn pot filling up in only about two days burning on 2.
My big furnace will go easily through a ton before I even think of cleaning it.

Upvote 0
These are the only two sources of heat I have and I really could not be happier.

Upvote 0
dieselram94 said:
Yeah mine turns black in about a day to day and a half on setting 2. What concerns me more is the burn pot filling up in only about two days burning on 2.
My big furnace will go easily through a ton before I even think of cleaning it.

Well at least we know now it's not just our own stoves.. It's the make. Yours is as osburn right?

Upvote 0
No, it's a Englander. But they sold many names on same stoves like summers heat. Probably osburn to but I have never heard of that one.

Upvote 0
Uuhhhggggg, it's the charger.... Nothing has happened in 12 hours. Great.. Something else I broke. So if I touch the pos n neg they should spark right? They don't . The thing runs ... N I get a shock if I touch the positive metal scrap peice.. But that's it. Electoroloysis didn't work at all. Is this charger busted? I'm gonna be on the poop list. How can I test it to see if it's broke?

Upvote 0
Holly, is it a automatic charger or manual? Should say on the front. U doubt you broke it...

Upvote 0
But wait... It's cracking off easier.. But is that from soaking? The scrap metal is hardly changed . Maybe in the big tote it's just not strong enough n all that water ?

Upvote 0
dieselram94 said:
Holly, is it a automatic charger or manual? Should say on the front. U doubt you broke it...

Yup automatic.. But it did stink bad n shut off that time when left on start engine. Weakened something?

Upvote 0
holly i use to have a car battery charger with the car start setting,( i forget the brand )
but that car start setting was for a boost,quick start,maybe try the 6 or 12 setting,thats
a trickle down setting,and see how that works

Upvote 0
Yup automatic.. But it did stink bad n shut off that time when left on start engine. Weakened something?

I think this is your problem, the charger "thinks" the "battery" is charged. You need a cheap manual charger. The amount of water you have is not the problem...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back