My week started with a big silver surprise, then a silver Rosie, shield nickels, an IHP and a merc

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day 1
I went back to the K to 8 school. I wanted to do the upper sports field, but when I got there team members were already there ready for practice and if I was working around the outside of the field I might still be in the way. So I moved down to the lower elementary playground where I found the silver dime last week.

For the most part this area was pretty quiet and when I got to a good stopping point on the grid I moved to a location along the front of the building. I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 37 coins with a face value of $2.32, part of a toy vehicle, a half dollar, an arrowhead pendant, a cheapie clip on earring with the beads falling off, part of a ball inflation needle, an ACE bandage clip, a small piece of a harmonica reed, aluminum and copper wire, can slaw, a few pieces of big iron, aluminum bottle caps, 2 pencil ends and only 24 tabs.

DSCN3543.jpeg

When I finished my grid of the playground I decided to do a small section in front of the school beside the entrance. I did a quick walkover when I first started at this school and this section didn’t have much. But I figured I need to cover everything just in case. I found 2 pennies and a dime in this 15 foot by 80 foot section between the sidewalk and the building which was what I was expecting. I found some flattened aluminum bottle caps fairly deep and I was getting another signal that sounded like another cap. I dug the plug and the target was still in the hole. I pulled out a decent sized rock that covered the bottom of the hole and used the Garrett carrot to see where the target was. I scooped out a shovel of dirt and used the pinpointer in the hole. The target was not there so I dumped the dirt on the bucket lid I use and I saw a dirty disk that looked like a flattened cap. I picked it up and realized it was too big and heavy to be a cap and as I looked closer I could see the Eagle through the dirt. It was a 1934 walking half dollar. It is decently worn, but still looks great. They don’t turn up very often and it has been several years since I found one. This find turned a so so hunt with very few coins and nothing special into a really nice one with something very special.

IMG_9202.jpeg

DSCN3544.jpeg

DSCN3545.jpeg

Day 2
I went back to the middle school and worked another hillside and an area around some old bleachers that don’t look like they see a lot of use.

In 6 hours of swingin the CZ21 I managed to find 107 coins with a face value of $5.74, 3 wheaties, some cheapie jewelry, a silver dime, the brass end of a dart, an earpiece from someone’s glasses, the front of a toy car, a whole toy car, aluminum wire, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, a chunk of lead and 48 tabs.

DSCN3547.jpeg

Lots of pennies this trip, luckily I did find a silver. It is a 1964. Not a super find, but silver is always good so I’m happy.

DSCN3548.jpeg

Day 3
I have had good luck on the small little used sports field so I went back to see if my luck would hold. I was pleasantly surprised.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found an old valve stem cover, a silver dime, an IHP, 2 shield nickels, a wheatie, an old bullet, part of a 3 Merry Widows condom container, a small screw on lense, an aluminum carabiner, part of a zipper, aluminum and copper wire, can slaw and 52 tabs.

DSCN3549.jpeg

This field is small, but it has produced a lot of old coins. This trip was especially productive. As I was working my grid I noticed a soccer ball over by the fence that was forgotten. I put down my shovel to mark my place on the grid and walked over to the ball. As I was walking over I did swing the detector over some ground I hadn’t covered yet and I got a decent signal so I used my trowel and scooped out a plug. In the plug was my first silver from this field, a nice little 1942 Mercury dime. I put the ball in the goal so it would be easy to spot when the teams come back to practice and so the wind wouldn’t blow it away and continued my grid. I got a mid tone signal and popped out a nickel. I rubbed it and I knew it wasn’t a Jefferson. I rubbed a little more and I could see a shield. My second shield nickel in 22 years WOW! Later I popped another nickel and was shocked to see another shield nickel. 2 shield nickels in one hunt. Amazing for me. On top of that I found another Indian head penny to make this 4 hunts in a row on this field with an IHP (not normal for my hunting spots).

DSCN3550.jpeg

The Indian head looks like it is an 186 something. Maybe an 1861 probably an 1864.

DSCN3551.jpeg

The first nickel is one with no visible date. It does have rays so it is either an 1866 or an 1867. The second one has a date and no rays. It looks like an 1866. Maybe an 1868.

DSCN3552.jpeg

DSCN3554.jpeg

DSCN3553.jpeg

I still can’t believe I found 2 shield nickels in one hunt on a field like this. The ball field was not made that many years ago and I certainly wasn’t expecting all these old coins. I have no idea what was here before the fields were created, but I’m glad they lost some nice things for me to find.

Day 4
I had a little time before my wife’s doctor appointment so I went to a set of ball fields a day that have produced a lots of old artifacts over the years. Since I was on a short clock I just hit a few of the high traffic areas. I spent 2.5 hours and found 85 coins with a face value of $5.08, a kiddie ring, a Canadian quarter, a modern button, an aluminum carabiner, a toy motorcycle, a few tabs and some can slaw.

DSCN3555.jpeg

Nothing special, but the money was good for a short hunt.

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found a nice big cricket in the grass as I was digging a target.

IMG_9200.jpeg

The K to 8 school has beehives. There were some mustard plants on the edge of the parking lot and there were 2 or 3 bees on each plant. They are busy gather and getting ready for the winter. I got pretty close, but bees are not aggressive if you leave them alone. They just want to do their jobs.

IMG_9206.jpeg

I found this pretty little flower right up against the building at one of the schools. I’m not familiar with this one. I don’t recall seeing one like it before, but the next day I found one out in the middle of the field at the other school. Anyone recognize it?

IMG_9199.jpeg

IMG_9212.jpeg

I also got a few coins from the coinstar, a few on the street and a couple from a coin return at the store. Nothing special, just change, but it all adds up so I keep my eyes open. The next find might be a goodie.

It was a very good week, 3 silvers days in a row, another Indian and some nice hard to find oldies. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 16
Nice detailed post ……
I like the way that you thoroughly describe your day to day recoveries..
Thank you for posting…

Great write up, and great finds. Big silver, and I love those old nickels. The unidentified plant is "Flower-of-an-hour" also known as "Bladder weed", it's a type of Hibiscus.

Day 1
I went back to the K to 8 school. I wanted to do the upper sports field, but when I got there team members were already there ready for practice and if I was working around the outside of the field I might still be in the way. So I moved down to the lower elementary playground where I found the silver dime last week.

For the most part this area was pretty quiet and when I got to a good stopping point on the grid I moved to a location along the front of the building. I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 37 coins with a face value of $2.32, part of a toy vehicle, a half dollar, an arrowhead pendant, a cheapie clip on earring with the beads falling off, part of a ball inflation needle, an ACE bandage clip, a small piece of a harmonica reed, aluminum and copper wire, can slaw, a few pieces of big iron, aluminum bottle caps, 2 pencil ends and only 24 tabs.

View attachment 2173414

When I finished my grid of the playground I decided to do a small section in front of the school beside the entrance. I did a quick walkover when I first started at this school and this section didn’t have much. But I figured I need to cover everything just in case. I found 2 pennies and a dime in this 15 foot by 80 foot section between the sidewalk and the building which was what I was expecting. I found some flattened aluminum bottle caps fairly deep and I was getting another signal that sounded like another cap. I dug the plug and the target was still in the hole. I pulled out a decent sized rock that covered the bottom of the hole and used the Garrett carrot to see where the target was. I scooped out a shovel of dirt and used the pinpointer in the hole. The target was not there so I dumped the dirt on the bucket lid I use and I saw a dirty disk that looked like a flattened cap. I picked it up and realized it was too big and heavy to be a cap and as I looked closer I could see the Eagle through the dirt. It was a 1934 walking half dollar. It is decently worn, but still looks great. They don’t turn up very often and it has been several years since I found one. This find turned a so so hunt with very few coins and nothing special into a really nice one with something very special.

View attachment 2173429

View attachment 2173413

View attachment 2173415

Day 2
I went back to the middle school and worked another hillside and an area around some old bleachers that don’t look like they see a lot of use.

In 6 hours of swingin the CZ21 I managed to find 107 coins with a face value of $5.74, 3 wheaties, some cheapie jewelry, a silver dime, the brass end of a dart, an earpiece from someone’s glasses, the front of a toy car, a whole toy car, aluminum wire, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, a chunk of lead and 48 tabs.

View attachment 2173416

Lots of pennies this trip, luckily I did find a silver. It is a 1964. Not a super find, but silver is always good so I’m happy.

View attachment 2173417

Day 3
I have had good luck on the small little used sports field so I went back to see if my luck would hold. I was pleasantly surprised.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found an old valve stem cover, a silver dime, an IHP, 2 shield nickels, a wheatie, an old bullet, part of a 3 Merry Widows condom container, a small screw on lense, an aluminum carabiner, part of a zipper, aluminum and copper wire, can slaw and 52 tabs.

View attachment 2173418

This field is small, but it has produced a lot of old coins. This trip was especially productive. As I was working my grid I noticed a soccer ball over by the fence that was forgotten. I put down my shovel to mark my place on the grid and walked over to the ball. As I was walking over I did swing the detector over some ground I hadn’t covered yet and I got a decent signal so I used my trowel and scooped out a plug. In the plug was my first silver from this field, a nice little 1942 Mercury dime. I put the ball in the goal so it would be easy to spot when the teams come back to practice and so the wind wouldn’t blow it away and continued my grid. I got a mid tone signal and popped out a nickel. I rubbed it and I knew it wasn’t a Jefferson. I rubbed a little more and I could see a shield. My second shield nickel in 22 years WOW! Later I popped another nickel and was shocked to see another shield nickel. 2 shield nickels in one hunt. Amazing for me. On top of that I found another Indian head penny to make this 4 hunts in a row on this field with an IHP (not normal for my hunting spots).

View attachment 2173419

The Indian head looks like it is an 186 something. Maybe an 1861 probably an 1864.

View attachment 2173420

The first nickel is one with no visible date. It does have rays so it is either an 1866 or an 1867. The second one has a date and no rays. It looks like an 1866. Maybe an 1868.

View attachment 2173421

View attachment 2173423

View attachment 2173422

I still can’t believe I found 2 shield nickels in one hunt on a field like this. The ball field was not made that many years ago and I certainly wasn’t expecting all these old coins. I have no idea what was here before the fields were created, but I’m glad they lost some nice things for me to find.

Day 4
I had a little time before my wife’s doctor appointment so I went to a set of ball fields a day that have produced a lots of old artifacts over the years. Since I was on a short clock I just hit a few of the high traffic areas. I spent 2.5 hours and found 85 coins with a face value of $5.08, a kiddie ring, a Canadian quarter, a modern button, an aluminum carabiner, a toy motorcycle, a few tabs and some can slaw.

View attachment 2173424

Nothing special, but the money was good for a short hunt.

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found a nice big cricket in the grass as I was digging a target.

View attachment 2173426

The K to 8 school has beehives. There were some mustard plants on the edge of the parking lot and there were 2 or 3 bees on each plant. They are busy gather and getting ready for the winter. I got pretty close, but bees are not aggressive if you leave them alone. They just want to do their jobs.

View attachment 2173427

I found this pretty little flower right up against the building at one of the schools. I’m not familiar with this one. I don’t recall seeing one like it before, but the next day I found one out in the middle of the field at the other school. Anyone recognize it?

View attachment 2173428

View attachment 2173425

I also got a few coins from the coinstar, a few on the street and a couple from a coin return at the store. Nothing special, just change, but it all adds up so I keep my eyes open. The next find might be a goodie.

It was a very good week, 3 silvers days in a row, another Indian and some nice hard to find oldies. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.
that's a gorgeos walker, wtg. love the rest too

Enjoyed your journey around the school. Great finds. Congratulations! Thanks for the sharing of your story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back