aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BigPete said:
Aw shucks. I wasn't really interested in finding your spot. Just curious.

No harm done, I'm just ragging on you. I appreciate you giving the :wink: response and not the usual :angry5: one. I do get asked a variant of that question a lot. I never know how it's going to play out. :dontknow:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelieveable find of a lifetime. Banner for sure.:icon_thumleft:

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be done with that spot for years to come.

I have a friend who has a very nice coin collection that was handed down from his grandfather. I would probably give him his choice of one to put in the family collection.

Seriously, I will be looking into a Garret Pro because I have similar creek/river spots to hunt... even though I have had my eye on Whites for a few years now. You can see from what types of detectors I have that I have not bought a "serious" detector yet. But that will change come this year.

Very nice find and a decent video.

Might I suggest a buddy system when working around water... for safety reasons of course.

Michigander Dan

Mar 11, 2012
Water Wonderland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett Pinpointer pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It makes you wonder how all this silver and mostly all halves got there??? Maybe a wooden trunk stashed by pirates or the like for a temporary hiding spot and it rotted away many moons ago or a coin collection stashed during the great depression or something along those lines. What incredible good fortune for you to stumble upon it and share it with us, thank you! :goldtrophy:

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does help to have a good machine. If you are planning to water hunt, I'd recommend you get a water machine. Trying to use a land machine in the river will just end up in heartache. I've been there. Having a buddy while water hunting is a good idea, but to be honest, the most dangerous places I've encountered are uncovered wells in the woods. I've seen plenty of those that if I fell in, I would NEVER get out. Best be careful all around...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER!! Makes you wonder how may other coins "escaped" by being washed downstream over the years. I'd check the next bend in the river on the downstream side to see if any more were caught and relocated by the current. Monty

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER!! Makes you wonder how may other coins "escaped" by being washed downstream over the years. I'd check the next bend in the river on the downstream side to see if any more were caught and relocated by the current. Monty

Well, I did make it back this summer and looked further downstream, but didn't find anymore there. Then I dug out some more cobbles and under a very large flat rock I found almost two dozen more. That puts me at 201 silver coins from this site...so far :)

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I would look for any similar flat stones. Or see if there is an old farm/home near there! They may have hidden more near their home if so. I just found this post today and I have to say it is amazing! I dont think I will EVER find something like that but it's still an inspiration! Thank you for sharing and I hope you find more!

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly Amazing!!!!!!!!! What else can you say

dcisfun

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that coin is worth close to $2K by that stamp

You have sharp eyes my friend. Here's a quick pic I just took for ya. I haven't researched it yet.

the last two 1828's that sold at auction sold for $1430 and $1760. Yes, that’s right, only two examples have sold in the last 10 years! This is a very popular counterstamp and consistently sells well.

A little background on the reason these coins were counter stamped...

Houck's Panacea, the famous "snake medicine" of its day.

The coins found with this countermark are one of the most popular and sought after counterstamps, as they are part of the “Hard Times” token series and are generally found on Bust Half Dollars.

Dr. Jacob Houck came to Baltimore Maryland in 1828 and opened a dry goods business at 121 West Baltimore St. It wasn’t until 1834 that he began selling “Botanic Panacea” for $1.50 a bottle and advertised in the 1835 to 1842 business directories.

Purported to cure almost all ills including: Dyspepsia, loss of appetite, indigestion, inflammation of the stomach, heartburn, diarrhea, dysentery or flux, piles, fistula, obstructed monstruation, ague and fever, bilious or remittent fever, typhus fever, scarlet fever, small pox, St. Anthony’s fire, asthma, pleurisy, measles, yellow fever, wind on the stomach or bowels, cholera morbus, consumption, influenza, colds, coughs, inflammation of the chest, palsy, gout, rheumatism, whooping cough, croup, dropsy, rickets, diseases of the liver, jaundice, difficulty of making urine, hysterics, mercurial and venereal diseases, ulcers, sores, etc. (The main ingredients were most likely alcohol or opium, cocaine or some such other "cure")

This Panacea was sold at various business address locations including 16 Hanover St. (which was listed in a full page ad in Matchett’s Baltimore Director in 1842) up until the 1850’s. Henry T. Houck became proprietor of the firm in 1851 and in later years probably licensed it for others to sell, as there is an 1855 advertisement in a Nashville Tennessee directory by a A.G. Goodlet for “Houck’s Improved Panacea & Goodlet’s Vegetable Lineament” listed at No. 29 1/2 Cherry St. Nashville Tennessee.

dcisfun

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the last two 1828's that sold at auction sold for $1430 and $1760. Yes, that’s right, only two examples have sold in the last 10 years! This is a very popular counterstamp and consistently sells well.

A little background on the reason these coins were counter stamped...

Houck's Panacea, the famous "snake medicine" of its day.

The coins found with this countermark are one of the most popular and sought after counterstamps, as they are part of the “Hard Times” token series and are generally found on Bust Half Dollars.

Dr. Jacob Houck came to Baltimore Maryland in 1828 and opened a dry goods business at 121 West Baltimore St. It wasn’t until 1834 that he began selling “Botanic Panacea” for $1.50 a bottle and advertised in the 1835 to 1842 business directories.

Purported to cure almost all ills including: Dyspepsia, loss of appetite, indigestion, inflammation of the stomach, heartburn, diarrhea, dysentery or flux, piles, fistula, obstructed monstruation, ague and fever, bilious or remittent fever, typhus fever, scarlet fever, small pox, St. Anthony’s fire, asthma, pleurisy, measles, yellow fever, wind on the stomach or bowels, cholera morbus, consumption, influenza, colds, coughs, inflammation of the chest, palsy, gout, rheumatism, whooping cough, croup, dropsy, rickets, diseases of the liver, jaundice, difficulty of making urine, hysterics, mercurial and venereal diseases, ulcers, sores, etc. (The main ingredients were most likely alcohol or opium, cocaine or some such other "cure")

This Panacea was sold at various business address locations including 16 Hanover St. (which was listed in a full page ad in Matchett’s Baltimore Director in 1842) up until the 1850’s. Henry T. Houck became proprietor of the firm in 1851 and in later years probably licensed it for others to sell, as there is an 1855 advertisement in a Nashville Tennessee directory by a A.G. Goodlet for “Houck’s Improved Panacea & Goodlet’s Vegetable Lineament” listed at No. 29 1/2 Cherry St. Nashville Tennessee.

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aquachigger hahahaha. Damn those chigger bugs!!! They are everywhere here in WA State as long as your close to water. Don't forget to bring a sharpie folks if you visit up here cause you'll be connecting those chigger bite marks like a map;).
If I ever found silver coins like that, I'll be floating down the river with a smile on my face belly up;D ;D ;D..I'm sure Garrett will rename the Garrett At Pro to Garrett Aquachigger Pro with those finds of a lifetime!!Big congrats and cheers :occasion14:

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some incredible finds. More than a lifetimes worth!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shocked.gif
C
shocked.gif
o
shocked.gif
n
shocked.gif
g
shocked.gif
r