Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missouri Magic: "The boat trip" :)

Hi guys it was a beautiful day here 57 sunny so i took my boat out with my kids and my brother and sister in law on the Missouri river, there is a huge sand bar in the river and we go detecting there and find lots of stuff, it was a fun day all around but the kids left the radio on and killed the battery so the motor started at first but shut off aboput 40 ft from shore, and wouldnt start the battery was too low at that point so going along with the current we were headed for a big rock wall we get within 20 ft of it and we started paddeling the boat and after a great effort we got it back to the sand bar its starting to get dark I put out the emergency flag and hit the emergency airhorn the kids were waving for help and 2 boats went right by and didnt even slow down now its getting really dark and the kids are getting scared, its a 70 horse power electric motor, but when I bought it i remember the guy saying he had an emergency pull cord in the case sure enough it was there took about 15 min. but we got the motor going and made it back to the dock in the dark ;) lol lol what an adventure hehe heres the finds ;) jd

Attachments

• Picture 398a.JPG
    Picture 398a.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 403
Upvote 0
Re: Missouri Magic: "The boat trip" :)

COOL SPOON, Nice Finds j.d. I LIKE :) jeff

Adventure is right! No more music on the boat, eh? Great digs there!

Looks like a couple of nice flint scrapers too. Too bad the others wouldn't stop and lend help towing or otherwise. Most Missourians I've met would go out of their way to be of assistance. Glad you all had fun and made it back safely. Make sure the kids bring their own radio next time. :D HH

i was wondering what they were stoney thanks I knew they were natural so i kept them :) jd

Not a problem jd, they're found a lot of times in this area along w/arrowheads and sometimes spearpoints. You might want to check that area out again, just keep the kids away from the radio ;D HH and keep smilin'

Great sandbar you have there. Could say that you were on an outing to the Barber Shop & you had a really close shave too. Sounds like it turned out to be a good family adventure. Congrats! Spotz

thanks guys stoney where are you from? ;) the barber is a quarter 1898-O I was busy chasing the kids most of the time and didnt detect a whole bunch my brother in law got 2 injuns, 2 center, 2 barber dimes, and a barber half ;) it was his first big silver he was so happy :) we wil go there again as soon as I get a new battery ;) jd

I guess those 2 clowns don't have MDing ethics,nice finds JD

thanks guys!! i hope we can get together and detect stoney!

same here jd. If nothing else mayb we can meeet at FMDAC Chapter Hunt in Arkansas this spring if they ever get it set up.

Wow, I would have never guessed you could find much in a sandbar, since the silt builds up so quickly in just a short time. I live VERY close to the Missouri River. Thanks for the tip!

Brady in Kansas City MO

I've been to over 30 sandbars so far only 2 have had nice stuff, just keep going and have fun ;)

Always exciting when you go out for a day of adventure. I've had the same kind of problem with my boat before and you do sort of get flustered when you've got your kiddos with you and no one comes to your aid. Glad everything worked out well. Keep on hunting! Jim Cal

JD,

Nice finds and good story. Memories that the young ones will treasure when they get out on their own. Any time you are on one of the big rivers you have a chance of finding some great stuff. Never know when you might find part of a shipwreck. The floods take and move a lot of stuff. Some of the houses that are swept away in floods have good stuff in them.

GH

gunny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back