Missouri Cities and Towns that Prohibit or Restrict Detecting

Have you ever researched a potential detecting place on public land, gotten all excited about it, loaded up, and traveled an hour or more to get there and discover that metal detecting or digging is banned in the park? I have. Or have you been detecting a park when a local police officer comes up and tells you that there is a city ordinance against digging in the park? Yep.

I would like to create a depository here for all known towns and areas where detecting and digging is not allowed by statute, ordinance, or rule. My goal is for all of us Missouri diggers to share our knowledge so that we may learn the towns to avoid and to concentrate on the places that are digger-friendly. Please comment and let me know of a specific city or park that bans detecting and/or digging, and I will endeavor to keep this post updated. Please try to include the city code or ordinance section if there is one.

Also note that in communities where the prohibition is posted in the park or on an online list of park rules but NOT in the city code, an officer still has the option of writing a citation for disorderly conduct or some similar offense. I urge everyone to obey posted prohibitions as they would an actual ordinance. Ignoring local laws and posted rules are a violation of the metal detectorists’ code of ethics.

The List:

ANY United States government land (National Parks, monuments, battlefields, historic sites, etc) - 54 U.S.C. § 320301–320303 and a whole host of Federal regulations.

National Forests – Allowed, with restrictions. Prospecting is generally ok and searching for modern items newer than 50 years old is ok. Refer to their fact sheet here for specific CFR and USC references: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5261774.pdf

State Parks, Missouri state conservation lands, and lands managed by the state Department of Natural Resources – Section 252.045 RSMO; 253.035 RSMO; 3 CSR 10-11.110; 10 CSR 90-2.040
*Note* You may obtain a free permit from the Department of Natural Resources to detect the sand swim beaches at specified State Parks during specified times. See https://mostateparks.com/activity/metal-detecting

Clay County (ALL county parks) – Section 90.20

Wentzville City Parks – Section 220.090(2)

Blue Springs – Section 910.080 (Their ordinance specifically prohibits using a metal detector in City parks, not simply digging. Sheesh.)

Owensville City Parks – Sections 225.040 and 225.050

Independence – Section 13.01.005

Cape Girardeau – Section 18-7

Springfield – Section 82-1(a)(1)

Columbia City Parks – Section 17-52. However, the City will issue a free metal detecting permit that allows you to detect certain parks or areas. Unfortunately, you are only allowed to use a “probe” such as a screwdriver with a diameter no larger than 3/8” and you may not lift the sod in any manner. You are forbidden from using shovels, trowels, sod cutters, or knifes. You must also carry a bag with you to collect trash that you may find. See https://www.como.gov/ParksandRec/Activities_and_Programs/metaldetectors.php

O’Fallon – Section 225.070(I). Park policy states that detecting prohibited in certain areas. Restrictions on size and width of hand digging tools. ANY items of historical or archaeological significance must be turned over to city officials. See https://www.ofallon.mo.us/parks&rec/images/pubs/metal-detecting-policy.pdf (Note that the City Code section states that all items recovered must be turned over to city officials, but the policy only sats historical/archaeological and individually identifiable items must be turned over.)

Branson – Allowed, but with some restrictions. See. http://www.bransonparksandrecreation.com/files/1396392111_Metal Detecting Policy 3-1-14.pdf (These are actually common-sense restrictions that I wish communities would adopt rather than outright bans.)

Carthage – Allowed, but a park policy states that items of historic significance should be turned over to City officials

Marshall City Parks – Posted rule prohibiting digging

Sweet Springs City Parks – Posted rule prohibiting detecting (specifically) and digging. (I cannot locate their City Code online, and was informed that a paper copy of the code is available for viewing at the city hall during business hours.)
Great list, I will share this with my Missouri customer. Very helpful. Thanks!

" Please comment and let me know of a specific city or park that bans detecting and/or digging, and I will endeavor to keep this post updated. "

Most any park will have a code against " digging "

" Ignoring local laws and posted rules are a violation of the metal detectorists’ code of ethics. "

There is no such thing as " the metal detectorists' code of ethics " There are countless versions floating around and none of them are official. You can make your own up and be as much in compliance as any other.
If there is no sign at the park ,just detect,unless it is a National Park or National Historic site where the rules are clearly published online. The best thing for the hobby is to not be seen and if seen to look very low key by not having a shovel.knee pads,finds pouch ect.
What the heck ..let's go for it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back