Luxor - Ancient or not?

Tewe

Aug 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - I would be really grateful for some help with these two items.

An amulet cat and a Bes image amulet (I think).

I bought them years ago from a guy outside some tombs - who said he had found them. I have no idea if he was being honest or making a few quid from the tourists - but I liked them so I bought them.

I would be really interested to know if anyone can tell if they are original or not and what they would be worth.

Thank you so much for your help

T Cat Amulet.jpegBes Amulet.jpegCat Amulet.jpegBes Amulet.jpeg

... I bought them years ago from a guy outside some tombs - who said he had found them. I have no idea if he was being honest...

Welcome to Tnet

I think you've kinda answered your own question.

Sadly, all tourist sites in Egypt (and other places too) have their quota of shady local characters who sell these fakes (sometimes replicated from the real thing and sometimes not). They're artificially aged. Often they want to "take you aside" to show you something they will "get in trouble for selling" and produce various items from under their robes. Small amulets and coins are the favourites. Bargain hard, walk away, get chased, bargain some more and you'll still end up with an overpriced modern souvenir of your visit.

Last edited:
Welcome to Tnet

Sadly, all tourist sites in Egypt (and other places too) have their quota of shady local characters who sell these fakes (sometimes replicated from the real thing and sometimes not). They're artificially aged. Often they want to "take you aside" to show you something they will "get in trouble for selling" and produce various items from under their robes. Small amulets and coins are the favourites. Bargain hard, walk away, get chased, bargain some more and you'll still end up with an overpriced modern souvenir of your visit.
The second figure looks more like something you would see in South America than Egypt, at least to my untrained eye :laughing7:

Reminds me of Bes.
bes2.jpg

Bes was the god of music and dance, the god of war and slaughter, and a destroying force of nature. He was also a protector of children. Bes is most likely of equatorial African origin, although some think he is Semitic (Middle Eastern).
Don....

Reminds me of Bes.
bes2.jpg

Bes was the god of music and dance, the god of war and slaughter, and a destroying force of nature. He was also a protector of children. Bes is most likely of equatorial African origin, although some think he is Semitic (Middle Eastern).
Don....

You could be right Don. Bes is usually depicted with a headdress, but I found this amulet with a bare head in the Brooklyn Museum:

Bes.jpg

Welcome,

I'd go with Bes as well. He was a humble "house god" (protected pregnant women, insured fertility, sexuality and. . . humor(?) and depicted as an ugly dwarf). And apparently didn't take affront (or have Priests pissed at you) for making your own representation for the home.

Likely one of the oldest of the Egyptian Gods as far as human adoption.

As far as whether they are "original"? Hey, they came from the right place and might have been made the same way as they have been for thousands of years. As far as ancient? That's up to experts and close examination. There never really stopped being an Egypt with Egyptians living there for the last 5,000 years.

tumblr_inline_pg9bpbFIYD1ujgbax_540.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to Tnet

Thanks - they are lovely regardless... best thing you can do regarding barterring is to pay a price you're happy with - which I did so all good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back