LUE clue...the Obit of Hardrock Hammond

Interesting rocks. Are they related to the Ajo/Sells/LUE treasures?

I try not to go stumbling around in country like that, I prefer to watch my step. Never know when you could step off into a coyote hole and break a leg.
Lets just say defiantly in the area.Its not a good area to be and will probably be like that for awhile the Cartel is not happy down there.

Desert Magazine did a 1950s era article on Ajo and the copper mining...I'd be happy to post if anyone's interested...
Hello Randy

Thank you its a great' if anything a 1950s take on the mining in the Ajo region.

All of these like things clears the vision a lille among the smoke and mirrors.

Crow

Last edited:
This is problem when you start putting people on pedestals they become a god and do no wrong and make no errors. But the harsh reality in life is far different. no ones perfect. And that's the problem imperfect stories where people hang off every claim words for word with out ever verifying.

I tend to think the Ajo treasure story is a wild goose chase. Centered on the central character John E Johnston? Sound familiar? Many treasure legends are based on the words of one man? And how truth is in the words of story teller? I think this Johnston liked spinning yarns personally. Perhaps he like notoriety.

Hardrock Hammond and KVM believed in John E Johnston claims. But KVM and Hardrock Hammond never had the technology we had today verify such claims? I no doubt they both searched for it. But article does not really indicated they actually found any thing in the 60's?

But its all too easy of a story becoming blown out proportions..

The fact remains No John E Johnston exists. But it is true I believe that John E Johnston was real but his name was actually John A Johnson. The records confirm that. In truth that slight error is pardonable in KVM retelling the story. I think KVM accepted things in good faith what he was told. And like me and everyone else we have memory slips in retelling a story even in good faith.

Yes there was John Alfred Johnson. He was Swedish by birth came to America with his Swedish parents in 1910 and became naturalised. In 1930 he was working in mines at AJO right at very time mining was put on hold. So that part of story I believe.

JOHN JOHNSTON 1930.JPG

Here is him listed as Diamond driller he was 39 at the time married to Eva Mae Johnson. He had one son called John Clarence Johnson born in 1926 at bulff Utah. John Alfred Johnson was the only swede with that name working at Ajo around the time of this alleged treasure discovery. It appears John Alfred Johnson worked away from his family where he worked at the AJO mine.

He was born 11th December 1890 Oskarshamn, Oskarshamns kommun, Kalmar län, Sweden His parents was His father was Jonas Nicklsson and his mother was Anna Sofia Peterdotter

He died age 93 on 4 Apr. 1984 aged 93 at Bluff, San Juan County, Utah, United States of America. his son Clarence died 1st of July 1998.

You can see John Alfred Johnson headstone below.
JOHNSON.JPG

I suspect if Carl actually met this man? As a author he was not going to put a mans life at risk by giving his true address at risk. So I think Gilla bend was Ruse to protect Johnson's privacy?

There was Johnston's living at Gila bend in the right time period but no John E Johnston? Now with the other names given in the story Jack Brewer. And Roger Martin. There is no evidence these two men existed at all? Not in and census, Integration records crossing border from England , Ireland or any of them later traveling to South America.

Karl could not have known that because he and hard rock Hammond could not have access to records we have today. Hell I researched and treasure hunting all over world pre internet days and I know how hard and expensive to get access to records to confirm this.

I done more then my share going down the rabbit hole and get no closer where you started. While archival records are not without their issues. they much better to get closer to the truth than just hearsay.

I have respect for Karl as no one can say did not live the last years of his life doing what he clearly loved doing. But like with all treasure hunters ya cant hang off word for word being true. Other wise you spend a life time going in circles down that proverbial rabbit hole.

One thing with these treasure legends I love em all. but you cannot become emotional attached to them. You have to go where the facts take you.

As for it being a catch connected if it was real to begin with the alleged Lue? At this point I time i suspect is fanciful wishful thinking.

Crow

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back