Not open for further replies.

2moshers

Dec 23, 2014
Pemberton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a local cemetery this afternoon to find an assortment of old toy cars from the 60's and 70's, a stainless spoon made in Korea, an old pocketknife, an old padlock dial, an old buckle, a 1966 Mattel Inc. Creepy Crawly Fright Factory Thingmaker Mold, a 1965 quarter, 1942-1949-1963 penny, and what I believe to be a very old medallion with an eagle with one star on one side and a (large 2)(small 50) on the other. Hopefully one of treasurenet's experts can identify this quarter size medallion? Thanks IMG_2327.JPGIMG_2328.JPGIMG_2329.JPGIMG_2330.JPGIMG_2331.JPGIMG_2334.JPGIMG_2335.JPG

Upvote 8
That's one place I never thought about digging I wonder how after hundreds of years millions of people buried yet the cemetary is too small to hold all the people and theres so few I wonder if they just bury over other people creeps me out to much Its off limits to me !!! You wont find me there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
You dig what people left on top of people's graves? Or like on their perimeter wall?

I have always wondered about this??

You dig what people left on top of people's graves? Or like on their perimeter wall?

So yea I have to ask the same thing lol

mr

Seriously? Let the games begin!

Glad i got here early...front row seat!

Nice finds. I think the medallion is a watch fob. Looks cool.

I'd be pissed if I ever saw you hunting in a cemetery where my relatives are buried.

theres so few I wonder if they just bury over other people

This has been common practice for some time. In Australia, graves are designated as 3 deep, and in the States, I have seen 4 deep. There have been a few lawsuits about this, as some people did not realise this until after the fact.

EDIT: Found this (in Britain)
1412855179270_wps_40_Artists_illustration_of_t.jpg

To join the fray, it just doesnt seem like a good idea to be digging around a cemetery. It may be 'legal', but then there is a stigma of running around with a detector at this location that the hobby really doesnt need.

Last edited:
You might get haunted if you keep digging in cemeteries

(devils advocate here) aren't battlefields - recognized or not- considered cemetery's?

Nice finds.
I hunted outside a cemetery fence once and found a pioneer wedding band of brass next to 2 files where he was sharpening a shovel. Kinda sad. But it fits my hand. No disrespect intended.

Well, first of all nice collection of finds.

I don't know the circumstances of where you are digging,. Some feel it is disrespectful to the dead & living family members to dig in a cemetery.

I myself can't, but then i have no problem when i'm gone if you guys want to detect the ground anove me. I give you permission, but then the family may object.

Best advice i can give you. ........duck and cover, there maybe incoming! :eek:

I have been around these websites enough to know that IF I was to do something like this, I would never post it.

IF indeed you were inside a cemetery and finding toys that POSSIBLY were left on graves by loved ones and somehow got buried and lost, I would have an opinion of you that would probably not be too polite or kind.

I will not judge. I am hoping this post was written to possibly stir a pot HOWEVER, IMHO it is in very bad taste I think you know it. You didn't just post your finds today. You had to tell everyone where you possibly got them from.

I see absolutely no reason to take memorabilia out of a cemetery, PERIOD. You found absolutely nothing that needs to be kept or proud about that I can see. If you are at peace with yourself, so be it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back