Lesson in Treasure Legend Values 101........

Don Jose:

#1 is "Aztec Treasure" hidden by "Black Stephen" (Estenvanico the Black? "Mustafa Zemmouri?" That's a new one to me - found it on Wikipedia).

Please find below the brief descriptions of #'s 8 & 12. I had the same thought you did regarding #8 - probably about the right "location" (given the scale of this map) but it is a different yarn from #3.

The first edition of Thomas Penfield's Dig Here! was supposed to have Chapter #'s tied to the endpaper maps. Unfortunately, the publisher forgot to number the Chapters! It does happen...

Glad you found this helpful!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Attachments

• Alamos Placer Old Mexico 5==.jpg
    Alamos Placer Old Mexico 5==.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 398
  • Alamos Placer Old Mexico 6.jpg
    Alamos Placer Old Mexico 6.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 395
Hola Ole buckero: # 8, Santa Barbara lies on the south side of the rio Mayo. Yes, he did work mines on the north side near the present damn of Macuzari. It is not known when, but he built a tunnel under the rio Mayo so that he could cross whenever needed. He supposedly left (?) a large amount of material hidden in the tunnel, but since it goes under the river, and is dark, old, partially filled with water, no one will enter.

On the south side, east of the ranch in the Rio, I found a large rock with a triangle set of blasting holes on it's south facing side. There, about 10 meters away is another rock with several holes drilled in it's upper surface. The center one had an old fashioned brass nail driven flush in it.

Parallel with the river, to the south, is a line of small hills, perhaps 2 - 300 ft high, with a heavily brushed in area about 30 meters wide between them and the trail. It has been reported that strange sounds have been heard in the brushy area, always different??

When we went to take pictures of the rock, it was quiet, but upon the return to the East, I heard a bunch of goats running through the dry brush calling to each other, my wife distinctly heard mules doing the same, my friend heard men yelling and running ??? I decided to investigate,
despite frantic pleas form my wife and friend. I found NOTHING, no tracks, broken branches, nothing to indicate that anything had passed through the brush.

K your guess is as good as mine.

Don Jose de La Mancha

I can give you details and data on

# 2, (ciudad de cibola, In the barranca de Conojaqui, sinaloa),

# 11, (Tayopa, go to legends and click on Tayopa, you will be occupied for a few hours).

# 12 ( LLuvia de Oro, also in TN. most of what is in the book is incorrect)

and other data.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Old Bookaroo said:
Springfield:

For my money that's a little pricey - each to her or his own, of course - and its worth more to one fella than another.

Personally, I think $25 or so for a decent copy with the map is more like it.

Over the years I've found patience is an essential ingredient in building a collection. Know what you have and what you're looking for, always be willing to buy up for condition, understand when an item is really a "once in a lifetime" opportunity and when you might expect to see it again - the usual.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

I agree, Bookey. The link I provided was the cheapest that I could find for this book through bookfinder.com, my favorite book-search tool. The value of anything is only what someone is willing to pay for it. For example, some folks wouldn't give you 2 cents for the (in)famous "Black Book", yet it still sells for $250 US, more or less.

By the way, your statement, "#1 is "Aztec Treasure" hidden by "Black Stephen" was interesting, especially since your scan directly below, the Cooke's Canyon snippet, may somehow be connected. Some folks feel that the 'Gauntlet of Death' occured because the Butterfield Trail passed too close to a site that the Apaches felt needed to be totally off-limits to whites. At this site are obvious 'Aztec' carved symbols. Near this site is a crude petroglyph allegedly executed by Estavanico (his name). The site is a protected BLM cultural site, and monitored, so I guess we'll never know.

HIO: The lil booklet is fascinating, but remember, it is basically a heads up on various interesting sites, it was never intended to be a search refrence booklet. So let your needs dictate you price.

Don Jose de La Mancha

gollum said:
Look for weights, not values! Even though they are exaggerated as well, you can get a better idea of the truth.

Mike

Good knowledge to have, never thought of that before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back