Lesson in Treasure Legend Values 101........

Frank Fish wrote some articles that appeared in treasure magazines. The books you remember were culled from his files after his death by a woman named Lake Erie Schaeffer. Leland Lovelace was a woman author I think. She wrote mainly on well-known treasures for the tourist trade which is a shame because the little known sites were well-written and very helpful. What folks need to realize is that those guides are fine for negative research but a giant waste of time for getting you going. They need to do their own research in diaries, historical accounts and old folks homes. exanimo, ss

Was that " Dead Men Do Tell Tales?'' I've always thought that if someone really did know exactly where a Treasure was hidden, they would get it themselves. Were you friends with KvM? Or Hardrocks Hendricks?

Maybe you can help me locate a book I had & lost. I've asked on the " Recommended Reading " Topic, but didn't get a hit.

I can't remember the title, but it was written, I believe in the 70's. The authors were the actor Richard Webb (TV's Captain Midnight) & a female co-author.
The book concerned mostly Az. Treasures.
One of them involved Roman Artifacts recovered near Tucson, & another concerned a lost Church Cache that was found by a THer. He took photos of it & it showed the Church, A Cave that he half uncovered (Pics showed plenty of Rattlers) & Bags of Gold. His brother? would leave him supplies & film @ a certain spot & develop them. A flash flood hit the area & all they ever found was a bent fry pan.

G'day, Dead Men Do Tell Tales is one of the titles. It was by Lake Erie Schaeffer. It was the sequel to Buried Treasure & Lost Mines which was credited to Frank Fish as the author but may also have been written by Schaeffer with his input. Both were published by the Amador Trading Post which I think was owned and operated by Schaeffer. Regardless they were both based on his files and she was his friend so probably kosher. Hendricks mainly hit the road when he married the librarian lady Faye. I think she has also passed now too. He was from Wisconsin and we corresponded. I was one of many treasure hunters who were interogated by the postal service inspectors when he took a one room post office from a ghost town in nevada down the interstate on a low boy trailer to a buyer on the east coast. It seems that post offices always belong to the post office even after they are closed. Interesting times.
KvM and I corresponded and I wrote a few small things for the prospectors gazette and exanimo express but we never seemed to be in the same place at the same time and when I would try to visit him he was always gone. Don't know if he ever tried to visit me but I doubt it. He and I had many mutual friends but most of them have passed on now.
I saw your post about the Richard Webb book and was unable to find the name of the book in online sales lists and also could not find him as an author in the Library of Congress collection. I have read a story similar to the one about the photos and bent frying pan but have forgotten the details. If you want to pm me the location I will look in my geographical files and see if I made a note of where I read that story. It won't be quick because i have thousands of leads just for individual states like california and arizona. All are jumbled up from the flood and some are damaged but most of them are readable. All I have managed to do is get the states in the correct spot so I can search through if I have to. exanimo, ss

Howdy, I did another search and found a book that might be what you were asking about. It is Great Ghosts of the West by Richard Webb - Los Angeles, Nash Pub, 1971. There are currently 22 copies of this book for sale online starting at $3.50 and shipping. exanimo, ss

Gentlemen: In the 50's I had a small black booklet, perhaps 3 - 4" wide x 5-6"tall.

I believe that the title was something like "1000 lost mines and treasures of the old west & Mexico" or something similar.

Does anyone have any idea what the actual title might be, and where I can find another copy?

If you want stories in Mexico, I have perhaps 1000 of them, many semi -verified, mostly unknown ones, and in some cases first hand from the principal.

As far as Dobie's and other stories of Tayopa, I am "the" authority on it, since I have found and own it. To put it delicately, they all took literary licence in large amounts, but Frank Dobie the least.

Tropical Tramp

you're welcome. I fouled up when I checked the library of congress records. I searched by richard webb with arizona in the title. When I checked again with just richard webb this was the only possibility. exanimo, ss

I'll see what i can find on your book TT. I quit searching in Mexico because I could always find but never get stuff across the border. For now is it 1000 old arizona mines by richard hinton? This is a 1962 reprint of an 1877 title so may fit the bill in a later edition. If not I'll look and see what i can find for you. Strange how all the ASA types end up in the treasure field from Gene Ballenger down to us. I only found one lost mine and it was copper. exanimo, ss

RealdeTayopa said:
Gentlemen: In the 50's I had a small black booklet, perhaps 3 - 4" wide x 5-6"tall.

I believe that the title was something like "1000 lost mines and treasures of the old west & Mexico" or something similar.

Does anyone have any idea what the actual title might be, and where I can find another copy?

If you want stories in Mexico, I have perhaps 1000 of them, many semi -verified, mostly unknown ones, and in some cases first hand from the principal.

As far as Dobie's and other stories of Tayopa, I am "the" authority on it, since I have found and own it. To put it delicately, they all took literary licence in large amounts, but Frank Dobie the least.

Tropical Tramp

I know this thread has not had a post for a few months, But, I just saw it.
And saw that Michael Paul was mentioned a couple of times. I also have
a few of his books. But if you wanted to know the knowledge this man had
on treasure. You needed to talk to him. He would almost always take a call
from anyone that had a question about a treasure they were researching.

I spent many hours, talking tell the wee hours of the morning with Michael
Paul. He was a straight forward man, that told it like it was.

He knew that some of the stories that he wrote about were not real. But, he also
knew that people wanted information on these stories, and he made it available to
them.

Michael Paul, if you had talked to him. Would have told you that 90% of what you
read on any of these treasures is a bunch of shxx.

And if you really was serious about a project. You had to do your own serious
research. I don't mean to carry on with this, but Michael Paul was a friend of mine.
And, I know for a fact he was very knowledgeable about the subject of treasure.

Roadquest

other than the book I listed above by Hinton I never found anything more. Didn't even find anything in the library of congress. sorry. As to getting money across a border in these modern days I would buy a computer. Set up a paypal account and send the money to myself all from the comfort of my own home BUT I'm too damned old to go chasing all over the world like i used to. The US is a big enough place for me to search now with occasional forays up into canada. siegfried schlagrule

Anyone have some good info on possible treasure general locations I would be interested. I live in Southeast Arizona.

Checking out the ability to detect Gold energies at a distance.

Tropical Tramp:

I believe the book you asked about is "Lost Mines and Treasures of the Southwest" written by R.W. McAllister (Thomas Bros. Los Angeles, San Francisco and Oakland: 1953). It's the only black covered (wraps) book on this topic I'm aware it. Jet black paper and gold printing that's generally badly faded by now. It's 11" tall and 4 1/2" wide. It has a large folded map attached to the back cover.

Then it came out with a cover title "Lost Mines Fabulous Uranium and Buried Treasures of the Southwest With Map Locations." An 8-page insert was added to the back. The Uranium information was added to take advantage of the mid-1950's craze. I remember my Dad bought stock in a uranium company in '55 that proved worthless. Very unlike him.

The map and the book often parted ways - make sure a copy you purchase includes the map.

When I first came to San Francisco there was a wonderful Thomas Bros. map store on the edge of Jackson Square - what's left of the Gold Rush city. I was poking around and there was a copy of this little book - some two decades after it was published! I purchased it for the cover price (I think it was a buck and a half) and the clerk was quite surprised it was in the store! I asked if they had any more and she laughed...

Good luck to all -

The Old Bookaroo

good morning Ole buckaroo: as a matter of fact i bought it in San Francisco also, but in the 50's.
It was a small book store next to an alley, on I believe 6 th st., just off of Market. If I remember
correctly, it was a series of short pargraphs on each subject.

The part that I was particularly interested in, was the reference to a lost gold placer near Alamos
Sonora, in old Mexico. As I remember it told the story of 7 men that came north looking for gold and
silver just after the area was discovered to be rich in valuable minerals, only to find that all of the silver
zone had been taken up.

They supposedly migrated down the eastern side of the Mountain and found an extremely rich gold
placer below a small waterfall, in a side canyon where they settled down. They built several houses, recruited gals from
Alamos and started to work the placer.

The revolution drove them out and supposedly the location was lost.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Greetings, My Friend!

Is this what you are looking for? I could not locate "3" on the map. The Legend gives the coordinates "H-10" (10 being the final number at the bottom of the left- and right-hand edges). Perhaps the author simply forgot it?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Attachments

• Alamos Placer Old Mexico 1.jpg
    Alamos Placer Old Mexico 1.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 403
  • Alamos Placer Old Mexico 2.jpg
    Alamos Placer Old Mexico 2.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 425
  • Alamos Placer Old Mexico 3.jpg
    Alamos Placer Old Mexico 3.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 415
  • Alamos Placer Old Mexico 4.jpg
    Alamos Placer Old Mexico 4.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 418
************************************************************************************************************************************* Plus a few more stars ole buckaroo. that IS the book, although my faulty memory has another placer nearer to Alamos on the eastern side of the alamos Mt.

Gad buckaroo a wonderful job on your part. I think that # 8 at Alamos, according to the map, is the one that I am looking for.

:coffee2: :coffee2: I could point out several large mistakes on the Mexican portion of the map, especially the portion relagated to the Yaquis and the Bacatetes, since I lived with them for over 5 years, but heck.

Brings back many memories my friend, of when I first started treasure and lost mine (Tayopa) hunting .

Don Jose de La Mancha

Hi again buckaroo, # 12 the LLuvia de Oro, my wife had 1/3 interest in it when the Molinio Bros form Cuatemoc chih., the owners, let it go for taxes. We learned about it too late. It is now producing several thousand oz of Au Yearly. snifff

Off to Google E-Bay etc to find a copy of that lil book.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. Is #1 by any chance La Gloria Pan mine? If so I can pinpoint it for you since I found it also.

Springfield:

For my money that's a little pricey - each to her or his own, of course - and its worth more to one fella than another.

Personally, I think $25 or so for a decent copy with the map is more like it.

Over the years I've found patience is an essential ingredient in building a collection. Know what you have and what you're looking for, always be willing to buy up for condition, understand when an item is really a "once in a lifetime" opportunity and when you might expect to see it again - the usual.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back