🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Lead cannonball?

noxer800

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this lead item in Calif. along the Old Spanish Trail. It's round, slightly flattened on one side & about 2" in dia. From a site that could be Spanish, Mexican or American period. Has anyone seen or found something similar? Can anyone help me date it?

Attachments

• IMG_5912.jpg
    IMG_5912.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5913.jpg
    IMG_5913.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5914.jpg
    IMG_5914.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
When a cannonball is made of lead, it tends to consist of molten metal cast in a spherical mold. The corroded surface in of the metal in the photos does not have the appearance of cast lead. For example, lead does not develop cracks -- which we see in many places on this object's surface. Also, the object's shape is not anything close to a sphere. A cannonball MUST be a "True Sphere" because any significant lumps of bumps or out-of-roundness will cause the ball to "jam" in the cannon's bore during loading or firing. Also, this object does not look like a cast lead True-Sphere which has taken a few bumps from bouncing across the ground after firing. Sorry, I do not know what it is but I'm reasonably sure about what it's not -- a cannonball, a grapeshot ball, or other Artillery ball.

I should mention:
American Military cannonballs and e ball were always made of pure lead. This object appears to some sort of "pot-metal" type of cheap lead-alloy.

Upvote 4
When a cannonball is made of lead, it tends to consist of molten metal cast in a spherical mold. The corroded surface in of the metal in the photos does not have the appearance of cast lead. For example, lead does not develop cracks -- which we see in many places on this object's surface. Also, the object's shape is not anything close to a sphere. A cannonball MUST be a "True Sphere" because any significant lumps of bumps or out-of-roundness will cause the ball to "jam" in the cannon's bore during loading or firing. Also, this object does not look like a cast lead True-Sphere which has taken a few bumps from bouncing across the ground after firing. Sorry, I do not know what it is but I'm reasonably sure about what it's not -- a cannonball, a grapeshot ball, or other Artillery ball.

I should mention:
American Military cannonballs and e ball were always made of pure lead. This object appears to some sort of "pot-metal" type of cheap lead-alloy.
Thanks, CannonballGuy. What you say makes total sense, even if it reduces the excitement of my find. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. Just to clarify one thing. Have you previously seen Spanish or Mexican period (pre-1848) cannonballs and do your comments also apply to them? I ask this partly because the smaller lead musket balls that we find at Calif. Spanish and Mexican sites are not not perfectly spherical.

Upvote 0
Noxer800 asked:
> Have you previously seen Spanish or Mexican period (pre-1848) cannonballs and
> do your comments also apply to them? I ask this partly because the smaller lead
> musket balls that we find at Calif. Spanish and Mexican sites are not perfectly spherical.

The "smaller lead musketballs" are not actually musketballs.... they are Canister-ammo for cannons. Also, some are extra-large buckshot. It doesn't matter if Canister or Buckshot is out-of-round, because a buckshot-ball or canister-ammo ball does not "fill the bore." A musketball or cannonball DOES literally "fill the bore"... therefore being bumpy or out-of-round can cause it to jam in the bore during loading or firing.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back