CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday evenings hour hunt at the dirt road site . Found a little brass case . I had no idea that anything was inside until early this mourning . :o

CMdawg

4-22 13 # 1.JPG4-22 13 # 2.JPG4-22 13 # 3 (2).JPG4-22 13 # 3 (5).JPG4-22 13 # 5.JPG4-22 13 # 6.JPG4-22 13 # 3 (8).JPG4-22 13 # 3 (9).JPG4-22 13 # 3 (7).JPG Update 4-23 clean 4-23-13 X.JPGclean 4-23-13 re.JPG cleaned them up a bit , turns out # 3 is a Union Flour CW token D.L. Wing & Co. NY, NY According to my research , flour was exactly seven cents a pound in the late 1860's , could it be this person was going to town to buy some ,

:dontknow: CMD

Attachments

• 4-22 13  # 3.JPG
    4-22 13 # 3.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 642
Last edited:
Upvote 28
Wow that's awesome!!!

How terrific, you did not even know about your find till the day after! Those coins are in awesome condition, treat them carefully to prevent damage from anything as their condition brings their value way up!!

We would all love to see more pictures and to have a little more information about the details of the find, just as soon as you get over the shock of having an AMAZING FIND!! Congratulations and somehow I think Banner comes to mind........63bkpkr

Also, could those be fragments of paper money in the case??

Last edited:
holey mackeral ! shocked at all the comments , Sorry guys , in and out of the office today , extremely excited about this , wish It wasn't slammin' at work .

quick update , braided hair large cent 1851 , 1868 shield nickel, still haven't a clue about the third coin . I agree with those who say it's a token , I can make out the word WING in the center and NY , NY surrounded by a wreath . I believe there is a fourth coin that is still in the hole . I see an impression of 4 coins in the case lid and hard to say if that crumbly stuff was paper money . Thanks to ALL for your interest and kind words . appreciate your feedback , Mike

Last edited:
Outstanding find, really amazing !! This shows you what most people *Really* carry around with them from the period.... If you ever wonder why your hunting a site and not finding any silver well.... Here is your answer, people really did not carry around a lot of money at all back then.... Really cool find, congratulations !!

Keep @ it and HH !!

How terrific, you did not even know about your find till the day after! Those coins are in awesome condition, treat them carefully to prevent damage from anything as their condition brings their value way up!!

We would all love to see more pictures and to have a little more information about the details of the find, just as soon as you get over the shock of having an AMAZING FIND!! Congratulations and somehow I think Banner comes to mind........63bkpkr

Also, could those be fragments of paper money in the case??
Took a magnifier look at the flat residue . I can make out what looks to be gold fibers , maybe it was a gold back dollar , this find is what it's all about , thrilling mystery , still shocked at actually getting one with something inside , a first for me , most of you know how it normally goes with these cases . Thanks for the nod 63 , but alas it's not filled with GW's ... kudos to HMN that's a feat that will never be duplicated .

Hey Dawg i love those personal finds:headbang:

Seeing it together like that makes me ponder man;)

They had plans for that...

Blaze

I'll get on the bandwagon too ! not only wonderful finds in the little box case , but please detail the coins !- we can see the large
cent , and the shield nickel - but what is the other ? I also agree with an earlier post , that the fragmentary contents may
well be the remnants of a few paper bills ! either way an exciting find to be sure !!!

Last edited:
now thats just too cool, i dont know how many cases i found eagerly prying the thing open seconds fresh from out of the dirt, only to find dried up make up and a broken mirror.

Nice find, treasure's like this make all the dug junk worth the hunt

Great find Dawg! It pays to open those little compacts and tins we dig. I'm betting that third "coin" was a Civil War store token.

Always wanted to find one of those cases full of coins! Very cool find.

Great find man! Congrats!

That case with coins was on my bucket list, and you found it. What a great find, what everyone dreams of.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back