CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday evenings hour hunt at the dirt road site . Found a little brass case . I had no idea that anything was inside until early this mourning . :o

CMdawg

4-22 13 # 1.JPG4-22 13 # 2.JPG4-22 13 # 3 (2).JPG4-22 13 # 3 (5).JPG4-22 13 # 5.JPG4-22 13 # 6.JPG4-22 13 # 3 (8).JPG4-22 13 # 3 (9).JPG4-22 13 # 3 (7).JPG Update 4-23 clean 4-23-13 X.JPGclean 4-23-13 re.JPG cleaned them up a bit , turns out # 3 is a Union Flour CW token D.L. Wing & Co. NY, NY According to my research , flour was exactly seven cents a pound in the late 1860's , could it be this person was going to town to buy some ,

:dontknow: CMD

Attachments

• 4-22 13  # 3.JPG
    4-22 13 # 3.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 642
Last edited:
Upvote 28
Outstanding find, really amazing !! This shows you what most people *Really* carry around with them from the period.... If you ever wonder why your hunting a site and not finding any silver well.... Here is your answer, people really did not carry around a lot of money at all back then.... Really cool find, congratulations !!

Keep @ it and HH !!
:icon_scratch: interesting point MUD(S.W.A.T.) here are some what 7 cents was worth fun facts from the era of these coins , 1860's

Land was selling for $3 to $5 an acre, and a laborer’s wage without board was 90 cents a day.
Wheat flour — $7.14/barrel
Rice — 7 cents/pound
Granulated sugar — 8 cents/pound
Roasting beef — 11 cents/pound
Soup beef — 4 cents/pound
Cheese — 13 cents/pound
Eggs — 20 cents/dozen
Hard wood — $6.49/cord
Rent for 4 rooms — $4.45/month
Room and board for men — $2.79/month
Room and board for women — $1.79/month

spot on!!!! congratulation. love it!!!

Great find Dawg! It pays to open those little compacts and tins we dig. I'm betting that third "coin" was a Civil War store token.

you won the bet Steve

Union Flour

D L Wing & Co. NY , NY

found this info;

[SIZE=+1]As soon as the Civil War started all of the coins disappeared into mattresses and holes in the ground. The government resorted to paper money, which it had not done before. For small change many northern merchants issued tokens. Several thousand types were created before they were prohibited late in 1863.[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Real nice finds!

Outstanding find, now that's what I am talking about.

Awesome finds...congrats! ;-)

I keep coming back and looking at this find. Nice little cache.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back