Knights Templar Antique Sword

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I acquired this sword today locally On Prince Edward island from a seller I found on Kijiji. Although the seller said it came from the US.
He said he inherited it from his aunt when he was very young 40+ yrs ago. The aunt had a place in the US full of antiques. Apparently she liked collecting and this likely came to her from an estate sale. The guy I bought it from also never found any info on where/ whos name is written on the sword.
If anyone can please help me figure out the location given and name of owner and any info on both would be much appreciated.
Has the red cross , does this make it a York Rite , knights of the red cross?
Any other cool info I may have missed?
PXL_20240112_031930991.MP~2.jpg

Upvote 20
Positive. I had some sword chains misslabelled recently and an expert reached out to me and explained templars and knights Columbus to me a little.
Columbus knights swords have the Columbus head (not knight head )and the eagle only.
(I have seen the pawn stars' sword .
BSC sword ,Blessed Sacrament Catholic Curch. Interesting old peice. Pay attention to what he does and doesn't say and when he's saying it. Very missleading clip..)
The cross on the handle is Templar. Despite pawnstars pointing at it while saying nothing. When he is mentioning the BSC Knights Columbus you don't see him it's edited out...
Conspiracy?

I acquired this sword today locally On Prince Edward island from a seller I found on Kijiji. Although the seller said it came from the US.
He said he inherited it from his aunt when he was very young 40+ yrs ago. The aunt had a place in the US full of antiques. Apparently she liked collecting and this likely came to her from an estate sale. The guy I bought it from also never found any info on where/ whos name is written on the sword.
If anyone can please help me figure out the location given and name of owner and any info on both would be much appreciated.
Any other cool info I may have missed?View attachment 2125628
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!!

More info
Screenshot_20240113-141848~2.png
Screenshot_20240113-142918.png
Screenshot_20240113-142159~2.png
Screenshot_20240113-142349~2.png

Last edited:
I found a very similar sword in my grandparents attic pushed into a far corner. I thought it was going to be some crazy awesome find. After looking into it, it appeared to be a free mason ceremonial sword somewhere from the 1930s on. There were a few companies that made them but you could order one through a magazine for about $50. Its not meant to actually hit anything and is purely for decoration. The one i have has a white handle and a leather sheath but still has the knight on the pommel. It belonged to a dead uncle at one point in time. Really cool looking sword. The guy who owned it was probably way more interesting than the sword itself. Congrats on digging so deep into your find. I stopped when i found out the manufacturer was some place in chicago. Ill put some pics up if you wanna see how similar they are.

Nice sword and congrats ! If you don't want it CAN I HAVE IT ? :) LOL

I found a very similar sword in my grandparents attic pushed into a far corner. I thought it was going to be some crazy awesome find. After looking into it, it appeared to be a free mason ceremonial sword somewhere from the 1930s on. There were a few companies that made them but you could order one through a magazine for about $50. Its not meant to actually hit anything and is purely for decoration. The one i have has a white handle and a leather sheath but still has the knight on the pommel. It belonged to a dead uncle at one point in time. Really cool looking sword. The guy who owned it was probably way more interesting than the sword itself. Congrats on digging so deep into your find. I stopped when i found out the manufacturer was some place in chicago. Ill put some pics up if you wanna see how similar they are.
Cool story, but I am good no need to see yours, I have seen thousands of masonic ceremonial swords and the like.
Althought post yours in a new thread and maybe we can help get you some info. These swords are like coins. You got your more recent comon ones with higher mintage. Then you got the antiques, and then you got the rare varieties .

Last edited:
Actualy Arc shared two swords that sold
One of them was
"late 19th c Masonic Scottish Rite fraternal sword, Bent & Bush- Boston, engraved Lamont H Chick Haverhill Commandery"

I think I found some cool photos of the owner and history with that one. So you never know..

I'd really like to find photos of the owner of mine. And I'm not the only one. I have been trying.
Screenshot_20240115-131559.png
Screenshot_20240115-131604.png

I plan on contacting the Vernon bushwacker museum.

Hey Joe - cool find. I also came upon one of these. Mine is similar but a local business name was scribe on it. Here are a few photos of it. I stumbled upon this in a metal bin at our town dump. It seemed a shame to let it get crushed and melted for scrap so I grabbed it.

Jim
IMG_7514.jpg
IMG_7515.jpg
IMG_7516.jpg
IMG_7508.jpg
IMG_7510.jpg
IMG_7511.jpg
IMG_7512.jpg
IMG_7517.jpg

That is a very nice find and rescue.
The maker a silversmith?
The quality on the fitings on the scabbard definitely very nice.
Unique? In more than one way maybe?
I'd like that one for shure...
Definitely also a cut above the rest.

That is a very nice find and rescue.
The maker a silversmith?
The quality on the fitings on the scabbard definitely very nice.
Unique? In more than one way maybe?
I'd like that one for shure...
Definitely also a cut above the rest.
A search have the maker in business in the early 1900's and for many years. The owner's name appeared in a search as having a fire in his house in a trunk. That record was from about 1907 from the City of Medford and nothing else with his name. The company sold silver and more so maybe a silver smith was employed.

I know this is an older thread and the poster has looked at a lot of history, but for William Henry Taylor. The sword is well past the ACW and the blade is clearly marked. No Henry W., or William H., These details count. Call them up, or write. If you'd rather. Ask them if it was the legendary William Henry Taylor. Look to place the man living in the Boston area. This is not a sword he would have had in 1861. Where was he in the 1890s? Why order a sword from Bent&Bush in Boston? NH and MA are a much more likely draw for sales from basically a gentleman's shop selling fraternal swords.
  • Haverhill, Florida, city in Florida, United States.
  • Haverhill, Iowa, city in Iowa, United States.
  • Haverhill, Kansas, city in Kansas, United States.
  • Haverhill, Massachusetts, city in Massachusetts, United States. ...
  • Haverhill, New Hampshire, city in New Hampshire, United States.

Be persistent

Last edited:
I know this is an older thread and the poster has looked at a lot of history, but for William Henry Taylor. The sword is well past the ACW and the blade is clearly marked. No Henry W., or William H., These details count. Call them up, or write. If you'd rather. Ask them if it was the legendary William Henry Taylor. Look to place the man living in the Boston area. This is not a sword he would have had in 1861. Where was he in the 1890s? Why order a sword from Bent&Bush in Boston? NH and MA are a much more likely draw for sales from basically a gentleman's shop selling fraternal swords.
  • Haverhill, Florida, city in Florida, United States.
  • Haverhill, Iowa, city in Iowa, United States.
  • Haverhill, Kansas, city in Kansas, United States.
  • Haverhill, Massachusetts, city in Massachusetts, United States. ...
  • Haverhill, New Hampshire, city in New Hampshire, United States.

Be persistent
http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=Merrimack restorations of charters come and go, hence a later 'start' for 14 of MA. An earlier post I read here does reflect N.H. but no Haverhill #14. So, it seems that a bit of coincidence will keep you looking for Henry Taylor.

Any other cool info I may have missed?View attachment 2125628
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

I got a couple books on the subject.
& Found a couple medals online today.
And ya I still think it's likely a very old one.
And likely the, Henry Taylor Guerilla Chief..
Screenshot_20240606-183615~2.png
Screenshot_20240606-183620~2.png
Screenshot_20240606-183629~2.png
Screenshot_20240606-184002~2.png
Screenshot_20240606-184051~2.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back