Knights Templar Antique Sword

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I acquired this sword today locally On Prince Edward island from a seller I found on Kijiji. Although the seller said it came from the US.
He said he inherited it from his aunt when he was very young 40+ yrs ago. The aunt had a place in the US full of antiques. Apparently she liked collecting and this likely came to her from an estate sale. The guy I bought it from also never found any info on where/ whos name is written on the sword.
If anyone can please help me figure out the location given and name of owner and any info on both would be much appreciated.
Has the red cross , does this make it a York Rite , knights of the red cross?
Any other cool info I may have missed?
PXL_20240112_031930991.MP~2.jpg

Upvote 20
Thanks for your opinion.

Quite certain it's a knights Templar commander sword .
Blade says as much.
Specifically York rite
It's got the gold fittings and black handle given to past commanders elected for a term.
Also it's an old one circa 1860-1890 IMO
From a more rare maker.
A terribly underappreciated peice of history IMO.

I think it says Beary Taylor
BanerHill
Any help geusing what it says??

Thanks for your opinion.

Quite certain it's a knights Templar commander sword .
Blade says as much.
Specifically York rite
It's got the gold fittings and black handle given to past commanders elected for a term.
Also it's an old one circa 1860-1890 IMO
From a more rare maker.
A terribly underappreciated peice of history IMO.

I think it says Beary Taylor
BanerHill
Any help geusing what it says??
I think it says Haverhill Commander. Henry Taylor is what I see.

Last edited:
As stated by several people already, you have a York Rite (Masonic) Commandery sword. The focus of the Commandery ritual is Jacques DeMolay and the Knights Templar.
I have one nearly identical, except for the personal info engraved on the blade. Mine is in a full leather case for storage. I’ll locate it in my storage room and post a photo. Your sword is a great piece of history but is not from the actual Knights Templar.

IT IS a Masonic "Scottish Rite" ceremonial sword.

Worth on high end $100.
Perhaps I should have called it masonic knights Templar. Everyone else calls them knights Templar. The blade even says K.T. knights Templar. Obviously it is not the same people as the medieval knights. But many stories go that the remnants of the knights Templar joined the Masons.
Thank for you opinion on value. If you got a nice one for 100$ I'll buy it.
Value is determined by the holders
These sword are rarer than any mintage of coins. And a new one nowadays costs almost 400$....
I have seen antique sword markets change very fast

That's exactly the same sword on the bottom.

Though I have a feeling that it still won't satisfy the OP of the ID.

Some just have that thing where they ask for opinions/IDs, but they've made up their minds that it is something else, and no proof will ever change it.
I needed help on reading the names and locations.
And getting info on the name and locations.
Some just don't Wana help as asked, They want to give there opinion only on value and desirability. And nomaclature and everyones opinion is biased one way or the other. Wether they realize it or not.
My mind can always change. I consider more possibilities then most.
Please show me proof.
I can show you what these Templar swords are called and sell for on eBay nowadays. But that's not proof. I gave links to some resources that explain the proof I found and got more info aswell supporting my naming of the peice...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back