216.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 10
While walking in a local park that was once a farm I came across this. The family who once farmed it found several arrowheads and more there. Is this a N.A. tool? If so, what is it?
While walking in a local park that was once a farm I came across this. The family who once farmed it found several arrowheads and more there. Is this a N.A. tool? If so, what is it?
It has been worked. Not sure if scraper or some sort of pre-form. Congrats.

Looks like blank or unfinished scraper. Definitely worked, and I would look for more there.

What state was it found in? It looks similar to Onondaga flint from NY. Definitely worked.
ToddsPoint, it was found in SW Ohio. Over the last half dozen years I have found hundreds of pieces at that park alone. A variety of colors and qualities. However, I've never found any that appeared worked.

It has been worked. Not sure if scraper or some sort of pre-form. Congrats.

I agree it looks like a tool of sorts, nice find

It looks like a core that bladelets were struck from for use as cutting tools.

What state was it found in? It looks similar to Onondaga flint from NY. Definitely worked.

Looks like blank or unfinished scraper. Definitely worked, and I would look for more there.
All, thanks for your inputs. The consensus is it was worked. Will post a side view pic later today b/c one side looks curved up on purpose. However, I'm not sure what purpose that would serve. Also given its smallish size, if a scrapper, a person would be working a long time to remove flesh from a hide (unless it was a small animal).

All, thanks for your inputs. The consensus is it was worked. Will post a side view pic later today b/c one side looks curved up on purpose. However, I'm not sure what purpose that would serve. Also given its smallish size, if a scrapper, a person would be working a long time to remove flesh from a hide (unless it was a small animal).
Scrapers come in all sizes, I have found small ones about the size of a quarter, called thumb scrapers, used to get the fat off the hides during tanning.

Scrapers come in all sizes, I have found small ones about the size of a quarter, called thumb scrapers, used to get the fat off the hides during tanning.
Treasure_Hunter, thanks for clarifying the size. Like many noteworthy artifacts I find, this one will be donated to the local history society in an educational display case (like that pictured below), to share with everyone from elementary school children to senior citizens.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 17
Definitely a tool, core, or preform, take your pick. I'm not great at ID'ing tool material in that area, but it looks to me like gray Upper Mercer, certainly high quality chert.
dirstscratcher, thanks for trying to ID. Will look into gray Upper Mercer. Years ago I took a bag of flint to a Curator at the local natural history museum. After sorting out the pieces, he told me all had been transported to the park by man. Because I continued to find more and more at that and other parks, I began to think at least some had been deposited by one or more of the many glaciers that past through the area.

Definitely Looks like a scraper to me. Nice find. All of those other peices you've been finding are probably debutage. Keep looking.
Rockdog, thanks for the vote and kudos. Yes, I'll definitely keep looking!

Here are a pair of side view pics. Did the upturn ends have a purpose?

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 16
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 18
If they had to travel far from good material like that they would use that as an all purpose scraper/chopper- then when they needed something sharp knock off a flake to use.

dirstscratcher, thanks for trying to ID. Will look into gray Upper Mercer. Years ago I took a bag of flint to a Curator at the local natural history museum. After sorting out the pieces, he told me all had been transported to the park by man. Because I continued to find more and more at that and other parks, I began to think at least some had been deposited by one or more of the many glaciers that past through the area.
Glaciers in Ohio generally moved stuff pretty directly south as far as I know. If you find material east, west or north of the source, it generally got carried there by man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back