185.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 10
If they had to travel far from good material like that they would use that as an all purpose scraper/chopper- then when they needed something sharp knock off a flake to use.
If they had to travel far from good material like that they would use that as an all purpose scraper/chopper- then when they needed something sharp knock off a flake to use.
Fred250. thanks for the interesting perspective.

Glaciers in Ohio generally moved stuff pretty directly south as far as I know. If you find material east, west or north of the source, it generally got carried there by man.
dirstscratcher, I agree 100%. Per a map at the Ohio History Connection, some flint occurs in western Ohio. Sorry for the poor resolution - the pic was taken years ago using a flip phone. The reason I questioned all of it being transported by man is that some was of poor quality - and wondered if a person was transporting it - why not bring the best available? There is plenty of that in eastern Ohio...

Attachments

• Flint in southern Ohio.jpg
    Flint in southern Ohio.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 6
IMPO I wouldn't call it turtle back, it is an unfinished piece, maybe a blank for future use, notice it has no secondary flaking.

I agree, they struck off bladelets until it was too small to be of any use. Then they tossed it.

Turtle Back scrapers are generally domed on one side and work down to a fine edge all the way around with a flat Underside. I would not call this a turtle back.

I’d agree with this after a 2nd look

Thanks to all. So it is not a Turtle Back scrapper. Appears worked. At the size it is, is it more likely to be a unfinished unidentified piece or a blank that bladelets were struck off until too small?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back