Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to the park around my house today and the ground is, sandy due to the Bogue Falaya river so you can dig an aluminum can Easily a foot or more. I found this one token I can barely see the words if y’all can see I would love to know what it i IMG_0585.jpg
IMG_0586.jpg
Then I got this token which I really like because It’s from New Orleans so anything from New Orleans I’m gonna love. L.G Denisl Co
On the back it says IT’S HELL TO BE POORIMG_0590.jpg
IMG_0591.jpg
My next token it says JAMRS FORTJamestown VirginiaIMG_0597.jpg
On the back it say’s “Birthplace of America”
Here’s all my other goodiesIMG_0587.jpg
A little colt bullet IMG_0587.jpg
A little pulley that still works to this dayIMG_0592.jpg
You got a love a soldier head or notIMG_0593.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg
I’m not sure if it’s a real key or not but it was next to this thing so maybe they got something in commonIMG_0593.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg
44 War IMG_0599.jpg
nickel

Some kind of pending BFCimage-2020-10-03-18:57:53-145.jpg
Last one It’s just so prettyIMG_0596.jpg

Upvote 26
Congrats!

Hey calabash I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or white but my last two hunts are used 50 tones and I’ve never gotten that many of relics. After this which I would call A great hunt the way my luck is going I’m starting to become a believer.

Hey red coat it’s a shot in the dark I’m just wondering if you may see something from a picture that I can’t see from under a microscope. On the bottom isNew Orleans. LA

And on the top I can make out for sure the “R” I’m a 70% SCU- - - -R

SCUVASTR Is what I can see on a maybe. Another thing is it’s not made of brass or aluminum it’s sort of made of pewter or Antimony.

You see where I broke it it makes me sickView attachment 1868658

You can probably see better than I, but I wonder if the letters might be SOU----R, and the word in full might be 'SOUVENIR'... in which case it would almost certainly be Mardi-Gras related. Hundreds of different types of those, many undocumented.

There also appears to be the remnant of a design beneath your thumb. It looks like it might be a rose/rosette. A better view might help.

A red coat I’m gonna try to get a little better view and a much better picture but before I do that should I put it in vinegar or olive oil it’s not a brass token. I appreciate your opinion so much you’ll never know

You're most welcome. I'm no cleaning expert and my go-to for items unlikely to have any particular value where I just want historical or maker information is aggressive use of vinegar assisted by a cotton bud. Everyone's got their own particular method, and some folks are more cautious than others. There's lots of good info in the "Cleaning & Preservation" section of the forum boards with people reporting the degree of success they've had with different methods on various materials.

Cool relic hunt! :occasion14:

You can probably see better than I, but I wonder if the letters might be SOU----R, and the word in full might be 'SOUVENIR'... in which case it would almost certainly be Mardi-Gras related. Hundreds of different types of those, many undocumented.

There also appears to be the remnant of a design beneath your thumb. It looks like it might be a rose/rosette. A better view might help.

You're most welcome. I'm no cleaning expert and my go-to for items unlikely to have any particular value where I just want historical or maker information is aggressive use of vinegar assisted by a cotton bud. Everyone's got their own particular method, and some folks are more cautious than others. There's lots of good info in the "Cleaning & Preservation" section of the forum boards with people reporting the degree of success they've had with different methods on various materials.

I’m not sure if you saw the front and the back so just in case you haven’tIMG_0602.jpg
IMG_0604.jpgI wish I didn’t hit it and for some reason I feel like this one is rare I’ve never found a New Orleans token with this material there is a brass or aluminum. I just can’t make out the top name where I hit it

Last edited:
I’m not sure if you saw the front and the back so just in case you haven’t . I wish I didn’t hit it and for some reason I feel like this one is rare I’ve never found a New Orleans token with this material there is a brass or aluminum. I just can’t make out the top name where I hit it

To me, that word definitely looks like 'SOUVENIR', so I would assume it's a vintage throwaway 'doubloon/token' from a Mardi Gras carnival float. Often these carried the names/advertisements of companies who sponsored the floats but there are also generic ones. As I said, many of them are undocumented, given the sheer number of varieties that have been produced over the years.

Souvenir.jpg

New Orleans has produced other souvenir tokens too, such as for the World's Industrial & Cotton Centennial Exposition of 1884-5 but I don't see the token as that old and it definitely looks like a 'rose' design and not a cotton flower.

Last edited:
To me, that word definitely looks like 'SOUVENIR', so I would assume it's a vintage throwaway 'doubloon/token' from a Mardi Gras carnival float. Often these carried the names/advertisements of companies who sponsored the floats but there are also generic ones. As I said, many of them are undocumented, given the sheer number of varieties that have been produced over the years.

View attachment 1869071

New Orleans has produced other souvenir tokens too, such as for the World's Industrial & Cotton Centennial Exposition of 1884-5 but I don't see the token as that old and it definitely looks like a 'rose' design and not a cotton flower.

Now I see where you’re coming from and now I can quit thinking I broke something valuable lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back