HORRIBLE WAY TO START THE DAY..!

Well I searched all around perimeter of yard and found no obvious den. Using a live trap around here you never know what you'll catch. And I live nowhere near a creek, pond or river. I'm high and dry high on this ridgetop. Probably the best I could do is bait it with food on edge of lawn and keep watch with my .22 target rifle. Or walk around with flashlight and rifle after dark or before light. I just know whats going to happen when I put bullet into its head...!
Is there scratching going on around the lawn?
Could be looking for grubs.
They like cat/dog kibble.

Is there scratching going on around the lawn?
Could be looking for grubs.
Lots of grubs and such. Armadillos everywhere after dark and a skunk now.

EDIT: Lots of raccoons, possums and unknown critters unknown to man.

Last edited:
Brad... Go find the skunk, call it... Here kitty kitty kitty. Be friends with the skunk! :laughing7:
OK a-hole... Don't make me drive to the Oregon coast to deliver this "soon to be" dead skunk to YOU. When I drop it off just go have love fest with it....!

OK... I'd like to bait this thing about 60-70 yds. from the house and kill it. Not near the house. We all know what's gonna happen if that happens. I can kill it at that distance easily with this .22 target rifle. Any ideas what might lure a skunk outside of all the other critters.... probably not... right?

1722551000101.png

That is one desperate dude.... or an idiot.... or stupid.... or no sense of smell. I admit I've done some damn stupid things but you won't be seeing me wearing a newly made skunk skin hat anytime soon or ever... Let's move on.... :tongue3:
A gas company employee used to gas them out of culverts.
Skunks had/have value when furs are prime.

Live trapped in covered traps don't spray if handled politely.
After dispatching the furs are not loud.
After processing , just fur.
So a hat is doable.
Though likely not appealing when the acrid scent of genuine skunk musk lingers in your vicinity still.
Makes aged road hits skunk smell like perfume . Which is why skunk scent has been used in perfumes. Vs hats.

A close friends family also had refugees involved.
A visitor of one camped at one site where we camped annually. Tried to pick up a black and white "cat" at night.
Slept in car after that.

Well I searched all around perimeter of yard and found no obvious den. Using a live trap around here you never know what you'll catch. And I live nowhere near a creek, pond or river. I'm high and dry high on this ridgetop. Probably the best I could do is bait it with food on edge of lawn and keep watch with my .22 target rifle. Or walk around with flashlight and rifle after dark or before light. I just know whats going to happen when I put bullet into its head...!
If you are going to shoot, have a sure wind at your back. I have had great success with hav-a-heart traps covered with plastic, then a blanket for light and weight. Then the exhaust is piped in. Fall asleep then lights out. almost humane. Riding mower takes long time, 5.7L not so much. Choose your gas transport tubing wisely. Don't try to save fuel. Let it run a while longer.

I'll say they do. We knew a fellow in MA who had a de-scented brown skunk as a pet (1970s). When it was a baby, he had to leave it with (different) friends for a week while he traveled for work. He left them a new 5 lb. bag of puppy chow. When he got home, the bag was gone, and the skunk was HUGE (fat). The fellow had forgotten to tell the sitters how much to feed the skunk; he ate a month's worth of kibble in a week.

Day #3 SKUNK:

Looked around last night at dusk / darkness with flashlight and .22. No sighting. Same thing this morning. The old lab (Josie) was put on leash and walked around for her morning "outer". No skunk smell to deal with today. Probably what 99.99999% you all would call "normal". But NOT HERE on the ol' ridgetop. I have got to be the sole sucker who has a lab that gets sprayed on back to back days...! If it sound like I'm still having a self-pity party.... I AM...!

Can't small skunk today when I come back inside house anymore. And the dog is a lot better also. Stay tuned. My head is on a swivel every time I go outside now. And we know this lab is a slow learner.... This 6 month old puppy we got is probably next....?

Live trap it, cover the trap. Put it in back of a pickup & drive 5+ miles away & release it. No need to kill it. My dad used to relocate skunks & opossums all the time. He was never sprayed 1 time. He tried a young raccoon once and it bit him.

Well here's a first for me.... Day started as usual at 5 am. Let dogs out, turned on TV, got my 1st cup of coffee and let the dogs back in. Now it's 1/2 hr later, surfing Tnet and the cats are awaiting their food on deck just outside a large glass slider door. Soooo... I grab the cat food container and our black lab and I go outside to feed the cats as usual. The lab walks off the deck and is sniffing around under 1 of 3 vehicles in driveway. Suddenly it yells, runs up on deck pass me and into the house it went. YES I left that slider glass door cracked open. What followed was horrible...!!!!

SKUNK.... I instantly went after the dog. The dog had cleared the living room, passed thru kitchen, then dining room and was in my large newly remodeled pool room. After a couple trips around the pool table it was heading into the other half of large room to nose dive on the new carpet...!!!!!! My girlfriend was sitting in there watching the other big screen and having her coffee. I yelled "Don't touch the dog... it got sprayed by a skunk". When I yelled the dog froze and I ran past it to open the other large sliding glass door in that room. Out the door it went back on the deck. Now the girlfriend has a nose full of it and isn't happy either. Then the A/C kicks on and we spread it throughout the entire house. I'm pissed, she's pissed and the dog is miserable.

Dog got it's first bath about 20 minutes later from a mixture of baking soda, Dawn dish soap and hydrogen peroxide. Looks like the dog got a face full on the right side. The house reeks. Girlfriend heading to store now to get a LOT MORE of everything to wash up this dog even better. As far as the house I don't have a clue as to how to rid it of this smell. Dogs new home is the deck for today. Now I just watched that skunk run out from under the van and into my 12X12 shed across the driveway. I leave the wooden door cracked open for the cats...! What a day thus far....!!!!!!!!!!!
This COULD make a GREAT MOVIE LOL

Well maybe. Would it be a drama or a comedy? Guess it depends if it's YOU or ME...! Right? :dontknow:
Skunks on the ridge. A story of trials and tribulations.
Or... The smell from Hell.
How about The Skunk Chronicles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back