HORRIBLE WAY TO START THE DAY..!

Sorry Brad!
I'm making modified paint balls out of "it" I will be extra careful! :laughing7:

View attachment 2161642
That's nasty guy for whoever's on receiving end...? Per our phone conversation that case of OUTDATED skunk scent I found while working at Starlight Archery long ago was lethal. A couple drops you'd be gagging.

Dog farts... Sheesh
Sometimes i think they ATE something they smelled. arrrg
Don't start in with this topic because it will get smelly quick. I had a thread here on Tnet years ago about my ol' boxer Bubba. That boy was HORRIBLE.

Finally rubbed the ol' labs head and yep.... SHE STILL HAS SKUNK on it....! Now gotta scrub up again.

Not good buddy if you were here...! But I 100% totally GET IT. If it was YOU I'd have a totally different opinion.... funny how that works.... :laughing7:
Caught one in a fox set. Shot it in the head and it sprayed. Walked through where it sprayed.
Redwing boots stunk for a month! And the poor working me back then couldn't buy another pair.
Worked in a public facility and didn't linger long any one place when people were around. After spraying them with disinfectant regular! ( Sprayed the boots, not people.)

Nearly blind hound when I lived on that same property I let sleep in the house, used to kill them.
How he avoided getting sprayed I don't know.
A couple times I was outside when he killed one at night and thought he finally got hit. Nope.
I knew he grabbed critters behind the shoulders and squeezed lungs that way.
He had the better sense than I in steering clear of where they sprayed after.

A couple mentions of bowls of vinegar where pets can't get in them to soak up some odor is mentioned online.
We use it on dog puke to clean it up.
Natures Miricle gets used in a spray bottle too for dog messes, but the vinegar seems to do alright.

Hey , close the door Brad!

I've never understood why dogs do that. But I read something one time that said "To a dog, there is no such thing as a good smell or bad smell. It's all just varying degrees of interesting." I guess the more pungent the smell to a human, the more interesting to a dog...
I had a fox terrier that loved rolling in anything off. I was out detecting and he'd rolled on a dead rotten roo. Covered in rotten guts and s*#t. It was disgusting 🤮
I'm thinking you gotta be kidding me, an hrs drive home with this!?
There was a small old digger miners dam there so I thought ill chuck him in it to get some off. Ok so i throw him in, he swims back still stuff on him, I say to him "you filthy little mongrel, back in" throw him in, comes back dirty "nope you dirty pig get back in". I did this about 6 times. He thought it was good fun.
But I look up and just as I throw him back in yelling at him being a scummy filthy pig I notice this guy standing there watching me with a horrified look on his face. He thought I was trying to drown him. I tried to tell him what I was doing but I dont think he believed me and never said a word.
He still stunk bad and not being summer I couldn't bare him in the car so put him in the boot/trunk. The guy still watching on. At home the misses is "oh no, where's zacy?" I said in the boot and opened it and he jumped out all happy and ran up to her. Still smothered is crap. Her eyes said it all and she ran inside. :laughing7:

Caught one in a fox set. Shot it in the head and it sprayed. Walked through where it sprayed.
Redwing boots stunk for a month! And the poor working me back then couldn't buy another pair.
Worked in a public facility and didn't linger long any one place when people were around. After spraying them with disinfectant regular! ( Sprayed the boots, not people.)

Nearly blind hound when I lived on that same property I let sleep in the house, used to kill them.
How he avoided getting sprayed I don't know.
A couple times I was outside when he killed one at night and thought he finally got hit. Nope.
I knew he grabbed critters behind the shoulders and squeezed lungs that way.
He had the better sense than I in steering clear of where they sprayed after.

A couple mentions of bowls of vinegar where pets can't get in them to soak up some odor is mentioned online.
We use it on dog puke to clean it up.
Natures Miricle gets used in a spray bottle too for dog messes, but the vinegar seems to do alright.

Hey , close the door Brad!
YES... I am a quick learner. THAT will never happen again. Or let's just say you won't know sir. Hopefully I never have to rat myself out again. Went to shop for an hour. Came back and.... Yep skunk smell STILL loud and proud. But it is better. Lysol spray can coming home soon. Throw rug on inside of door is NOW outside.

Viking.... The dog is much better but NOT near 100%. And wouldn't ya know it.... Her bed (dog) is 2ft from my side of bed...! (girlfriend smiles!) Stay tuned on that outside / deck for the night...?

072424 (3).jpg

Day #2 of skunk saga:

Why should today be any different then yesterday? I don't believe it...! The only difference was I DID SHUT the slider door this time. The lab ran back up on deck and absolutely reeked again. She was fine when she got up this morning and had very little scent left on her. But after her morning get out we're back to square #1 again. Everybody is pissed again and the dog is miserable. I can't believe she got sprayed again. 2 days in a row....!

She's got 2 of the mixture baths already this morning and girlfriend is in foul mood as she gave both baths. I never expected this dog to be so stupid a 2nd time...! A... S L O W L E A R N E R she is. We got the Lysol and house is back to around 95% ok now. This old lab (12yrs) will have to be supervised now during the morning run. Pity party now in full swing here.... :BangHead:

You really need to trap the skunk and eliminate him. Get a havahart box trap. Once you catch him, throw a blanket over the trap and it likely won’t spray. Where I live it’s illegal to relocate a skunk. You have to kill it. Drowning is safest way.
Well I would but I got to find it's home 1st. I live in the middle of a very large woods and finding it's home might prove hard to do. But I am going on the hunt for it today. Putting out a trap around here you'll never know what your going to catch. Cats, racoon, possum, armadillo or rat. But this skunks home has got to be close by.

Day #2 of skunk saga:

Why should today be any different then yesterday? I don't believe it...! The only difference was I DID SHUT the slider door this time. The lab ran back up on deck and absolutely reeked again. She was fine when she got up this morning and had very little scent left on her. But after her morning get out we're back to square #1 again. Everybody is pissed again and the dog is miserable. I can't believe she got sprayed again. 2 days in a row....!

She's got 2 of the mixture baths already this morning and girlfriend is in foul mood as she gave both baths. I never expected this dog to be so stupid a 2nd time...! A... S L O W L E A R N E R she is. We got the Lysol and house is back to around 95% ok now. This old lab (12yrs) will have to be supervised now during the morning run. Pity party now in full swing here.... :BangHead:
I'm sorry to hear that day 2 is a repeat of the day 1.

A dog will get sprayed, or quilled up and to the dog it's going to seek revenge on that harm.
So go kill that critter-hence the re spray or another batch of porcupine quills.

Friends spent $ Thousands of dollars over the repeated quill episodes. (4 Great Pyrenees)
Then the dogs dragged home a rotted road kill Porcupine-ripped it to shreds-ate it.

5yrs later the remaining 2 still haven't had a quill.
It satisfied the desire to balance the books so to say.

Yes eliminating the problem is the best solution.
Best of luck

You really need to trap the skunk and eliminate him. Get a havahart box trap. Once you catch him, throw a blanket over the trap and it likely won’t spray. Where I live it’s illegal to relocate a skunk. You have to kill it. Drowning is safest way.
That should be the case everywhere due to skunks carrying rabies (and you can't always tell--they can be asymptomatic) but it may not be; check with your local/state Dept. of Environmental Conservation (or equiv. in your state). 🦨

Thus far, individuals of all skunk species in North America have been reported to be rabid (Conepatus leuconotus, Conepatus semistriatus, Mephitis mephitis, Mephitis macroura, Spilogale gracillis, Spilogale putorius, Spilogale leucoparia and Spilogale yucatanensis); however, only M. mephitis and some Spilogale spp have been recognised as major rabies reservoir hosts across North America

IDK if I could drown one though. I think I would instead take it to animal control or DEC.

Well I would but I got to find it's home 1st. I live in the middle of a very large woods and finding it's home might prove hard to do. But I am going on the hunt for it today. Putting out a trap around here you'll never know what your going to catch. Cats, racoon, possum, armadillo or rat. But this skunks home has got to be close by.

Is there a creek or pond nearby? Skunks often make their home close to a water source, as much of their natural food is found around water.

Keep in mind that if you put out a baited live trap it's possible you will catch a non-targeted critter, such as a mink, bobcat, etc. Try to place the trap in a spot that you can view from a distance (20' or so) so that you can safely approach if there is a critter captured.

Is there a creek or pond nearby? Skunks often make their home close to a water source, as much of their natural food is found around water.

Keep in mind that if you put out a baited live trap it's possible you will catch a non-targeted critter, such as a mink, bobcat, etc. Try to place the trap in a spot that you can view from a distance (20' or so) so that you can safely approach if there is a critter captured.
Well I searched all around perimeter of yard and found no obvious den. Using a live trap around here you never know what you'll catch. And I live nowhere near a creek, pond or river. I'm high and dry high on this ridgetop. Probably the best I could do is bait it with food on edge of lawn and keep watch with my .22 target rifle. Or walk around with flashlight and rifle after dark or before light. I just know whats going to happen when I put bullet into its head...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back