Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well here's a first for me.... Day started as usual at 5 am. Let dogs out, turned on TV, got my 1st cup of coffee and let the dogs back in. Now it's 1/2 hr later, surfing Tnet and the cats are awaiting their food on deck just outside a large glass slider door. Soooo... I grab the cat food container and our black lab and I go outside to feed the cats as usual. The lab walks off the deck and is sniffing around under 1 of 3 vehicles in driveway. Suddenly it yells, runs up on deck pass me and into the house it went. YES I left that slider glass door cracked open. What followed was horrible...!!!!

SKUNK.... I instantly went after the dog. The dog had cleared the living room, passed thru kitchen, then dining room and was in my large newly remodeled pool room. After a couple trips around the pool table it was heading into the other half of large room to nose dive on the new carpet...!!!!!! My girlfriend was sitting in there watching the other big screen and having her coffee. I yelled "Don't touch the dog... it got sprayed by a skunk". When I yelled the dog froze and I ran past it to open the other large sliding glass door in that room. Out the door it went back on the deck. Now the girlfriend has a nose full of it and isn't happy either. Then the A/C kicks on and we spread it throughout the entire house. I'm pissed, she's pissed and the dog is miserable.

Dog got it's first bath about 20 minutes later from a mixture of baking soda, Dawn dish soap and hydrogen peroxide. Looks like the dog got a face full on the right side. The house reeks. Girlfriend heading to store now to get a LOT MORE of everything to wash up this dog even better. As far as the house I don't have a clue as to how to rid it of this smell. Dogs new home is the deck for today. Now I just watched that skunk run out from under the van and into my 12X12 shed across the driveway. I leave the wooden door cracked open for the cats...! What a day thus far....!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomato juice is supposed to get the stink off dogs. My uncle had a small cabin in Minnesota on a lake. They were there one weekend and his little yip dog was barking at the door that morning. He figured it wanted out, so he opened the door, a skunk ran inside. The dog chased it around inside & it merrily sprayed everything around it. My dad heard the story & laughed his ass off, my uncle not so much.

When I yelled the dog froze and I ran past it to open the other large sliding glass door in that room. Out the door it went back on the deck. Now the girlfriend has a nose full of it and isn't happy either. Then the A/C kicks on and we spread it throughout the entire house. I'm pissed, she's pissed and the dog is miserable.

Mornings like this are when we learn to laugh at ourselves...I feel your pain brother.
moose.gif

Tomato juice is supposed to get the stink off dogs. My uncle had a small cabin in Minnesota on a lake. They were there one weekend and his little yip dog was barking at the door that morning. He figured it wanted out, so he opened the door, a skunk ran inside. The dog chased it around inside & it merrily sprayed everything around it. My dad heard the story & laughed his ass off, my uncle not so much.
I have to admit it's always seems funny when it happens to someone else.... but as you say "not so much" when it's YOU

Dog got a heavy duty 2nd bath and is better now... say 70% better. I went to wood working shop and poly'ed a couple of toy boxes and when I came back in house it STINKS! I hope this doesn't last long...??? :dontknow:

I hope this doesn't last long..
Eau de Skunk does tend to linger, unfortunately.
sSig_aaarggh.gif

Back in the 90's when I was still driving long-haul, there were many times when we'd hear over the CB that "X" weigh station was doing inspections, and the last thing I had time for was sitting in an inspection for an hour. Nobody wanted to sit while the DOT went over every inch of your truck, and every minute of your logbook, which had better be current.

Solution? There was a product on the market back then called "Skunk Screen", and it was marketed to mask a hunters scent. Well, I had a better use for it. When I got within about 5 miles of that weight station, I'd pull over and spray that stuff very liberally all over the running gear, etc. And yes, it was rank smelling stuff. Worked like a charm..I'd roll across the scales and they'd quickly send me on my way
moose.gif

I have to admit it's always seems funny when it happens to someone else.... but as you say "not so much" when it's YOU

Dog got a heavy duty 2nd bath and is better now... say 70% better. I went to wood working shop and poly'ed a couple of toy boxes and when I came back in house it STINKS! I hope this doesn't last long...??? :dontknow:
Spray Lysol in the main vent and let it travel through out the house

Spray Lysol in the main vent and let it travel through out the house
Well our Lysol is gone but we got a big can of Febreeze and been spraying it around the house and into cold air return.... it's helping. Well the dog got another dose of the anti-skunk mixture and bath and isn't miserable anymore. So that's 3 of them now but I'm still scared to rub her head or love on her at all.

And your right ARC... no doggie kisses or lovin going on... yet.

Well our Lysol is gone but we got a big can of Febreeze and been spraying it around the house and into cold air return.... it's helping. Well the dog got another dose of the anti-skunk mixture and bath and isn't miserable anymore. So that's 3 of them now but I'm still scared to rub her head or love on her at all.

And your right ARC... no doggie kisses or lovin going on... yet.
And no sleepy on the beddy tonighty either.

So...
One day my dog is having a blast rolling on his back in the back yard...
i am laughing at him... just watching...
letting him enjoy himself for he had never done it before...
So i sit down and wait for him to get done with his biz...
And he runs up and i get this STENCH from HELL
Literally...
Come to find out he was rubbing all over some small decomposing animal of some sort.

Multi ouside hose baths with every shampoo and conditioner we own...
Both dog stuff AND human stuff.

I was gagging.,, dry heaving... oh god i think i can still smell it in my memory... and it was years ago...

***ERRRPH***

Come to find out he was rubbing all over some small decomposing animal of some sort.
I've never understood why dogs do that. But I read something one time that said "To a dog, there is no such thing as a good smell or bad smell. It's all just varying degrees of interesting." I guess the more pungent the smell to a human, the more interesting to a dog...

I've never understood why dogs do that. But I read something one time that said "To a dog, there is no such thing as a good smell or bad smell. It's all just varying degrees of interesting." I guess the more pungent the smell to a human, the more interesting to a dog...
That's exactly right. They just want to smell different. To them, it's all cologne; unfortunately, it's...
1722451138748.jpeg

And no sleepy on the beddy tonighty either.

So...
One day my dog is having a blast rolling on his back in the back yard...
i am laughing at him... just watching...
letting him enjoy himself for he had never done it before...
So i sit down and wait for him to get done with his biz...
And he runs up and i get this STENCH from HELL
Literally...

Multi ouside hose baths with every shampoo and conditioner we own...
Both dog stuff AND human stuff.

I was gagging.,, dry heaving... oh god i think i can still smell it in my memory... and it was years ago...

***ERRRPH***
OH YEA....! Been there experienced that. I live in the woods isolated. Had many dogs the last 30 years. I seen this happening about 5-6 times. The worse was a beagle dog that ran up on the deck, scratched at door and wanted it. So being the good "dad" I was I open door. Not only did I open the door I rubbed his head and back as he passed by....! OMG....! He STUNK and was all wet with something on his head and back. I also about puked and struggled not to. Now it's all over my hands and the dogs is upside down spreading it on the throw rug in front of TV. First things first... I throw door open, kick dog in ass out the door and to the kitchen sink I go. It took FOREVER to get the stench off my hands. Then I hopped in shower and took a shower like never before. I came out and the entire living room reeked. Out the door the rug went and I burned it.

ARC... now I actually feel better because THAT STENCH was worse than this damn skunk today. Thanks for pep talk...?

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread this morning--we had early doctors' appointments.

There are commercial products for helping remove
1722451275530.jpeg
from pets and furnishings; Nature's Miracle makes one (I mention them because we use/like many of their other products), but there are many more.
Search: skunk odor remover

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread this morning--we had early doctors' appointments.

There are commercial products for helping remove
from pets and furnishings; Nature's Miracle makes one (I mention them because we use/like many of their other products), but there are many more.
Search: skunk odor remover
Thanks for advise but I believe we're "winning" the battle. It is getting better. Or maybe I'm getting used to it. Stay tuned for tomorrows update? I hate to go outside and then return to be all disappointed AGAIN. I still can't bring myself to love on the ol' lab.

We lived near the edge of a large woods & farm area along the Scioto River. It would flood in the early spring onto the farmers fields and when the water receeded, carp were left in the pools created in the low spots. Of course, the pools dried up, the carp rotted, & my beagles rolled in them. They smelled so bad it would gag a maggot!! I wouldn't go near them, just hose them off and use shampoo after they didn't reek so bad. The dogs loved it.

We were walking our Irish terrier when before we could stop him he stuck his beard into a pool of buzzard puke (a whole other story about how I know what that looks like). My wife quickly pounced to remove his mug from the stench pool and her new iphone went right in the middle of it.
Tried washing the odure from the dogs beard with no success, on to the clippers.
The phone never recovered from the incident and she finally traded it in on another. I was shocked that they took it.

Thanks for advise but I believe we're "winning" the battle. It is getting better. Or maybe I'm getting used to it. Stay tuned for tomorrows update? I hate to go outside and then return to be all disappointed AGAIN. I still can't bring myself to love on the ol' lab.

We've been lucky 🤞🏼 none of our dogs (mostly Labs) have ever been sprayed (though one was really close). She was also the one that got stung on the nose when she was a puppy (Little bitty puppy--GREAT BIG
1722452608893.png
)

Most have however--at one time or another--rolled in the putrid and disgusting, and we've certainly/definitely had our share of "dog stories" (not to mention economic setbacks).

We've pretty much had to become philosophical about it (that or kill them)... If they weren't totally regusting, they wouldn't be dogs, would they? 😉

Or as my Missus observes, it's a good thing they've got enough "cute" to make up for their disgustingness (though sometimes--like what you're going through--it may take some time to earn back good graces...)

I meant the "commercial products" mention more for future reference or others... 🙂

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back