Headphones? Yes or no?

Do you use headphones when metal detecting?

• Yes - always

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No - always

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Only in water

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NightHawk88

Apr 11, 2024
Scottsdale
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Only deep?? Nooooo. Might hear deeper. In the sense if u didn’t have them on u might miss a light bleep. Maybe coin on side. Little deeper than average. Might miss that with ambient noise. Wind,animals.. funny enough i cant wear headsets in any other part of life. I have to be aware ant anll times. Only MD allows me to disconnect. But I’m usually beach hunting and can keep head on swivel most time. Hard for someone to sneak up on the beaches.

Without headphones the ambient noise will mask the faint targets. I always hunt with headphones on I primarily hunt beaches, many times late at night, I'm also always armed, usually with a .45, especially at night.

I have heard many people say that you will only hear deep signal with headphones...

Is this true?

Personally I have used headphones in the past but also find them somewhat cumbersome with digging and not being aware of the environment around and all this.

Thoughts?
Been wearing headphones for 50 yrs.
Cumbersome?
Probably some are too tight, big, some flop, some produce poor quality sound.

Though just this past year my headphones went dead on a hunt.

So I used the speaker.
Cars, trucks, trains blanked out the speaker.
So I went to a back field site.
Traffic wasn't an issue, but trains and the slight breeze was.
I still found a couple Half Penny Tokens.

But I also struggled hearing the tones correctly.
Hence I dug some iron as well.

Now for the part of the environment around you.
Half cup one ear then to make the nervous feeling of what might be around you go away.
If I can hear birds singing, mosquitoes buzzing, Chipmunks running through fallen leaves 200 ft away.
I'm not worried about it blocking the environment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back