Great day so far!

kmk

Feb 4, 2016
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Left the house this morning and headed over to Saratoga Springs to an old wooded area over near the lake. After 30 minutes into it and already finding 5 beer can tabs, I got another solid 60 hit, and I was like its just going to be another beer can tab, and was pleasantly surprised to find this 3 inches down. This is my first gold coin, in my short 20 year life of metal detecting!

Attachments

• 20241019_132239.jpg
    20241019_132239.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
  • 20241019_132222.jpg
    20241019_132222.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
Upvote 40
Left the house this morning and headed over to Saratoga Springs to an old wooded area over near the lake. After 30 minutes into it and already finding 5 beer can tabs, I got another solid 60 hit, and I was like its just going to be another beer can tab, and was pleasantly surprised to find this 3 inches down. This is my first gold coin, in my short 20 year life of metal detecting!
Congratulations.
That’s a beautiful looking coin !

Beautiful coin that looks like it was dropped with hardly any circulation.

That’s a BANNER coin in my eyes. Congrats on an awesome find. I am six years in with no gold coins. I guess patience is a virtue.

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC and CLEAN !!!

Congratulations on your first gold coin.

The feeling of that moment just doesn't fade away.
So enjoy yours for many moons to come.

Very nice! I have that same coin in my collection. All $2.50 Indians are considered common except for the 1911-D. Mine is graded MS-64 by PCGS and CAC. Your coin has even better detail than my 64. Look at the 3 bear claws around the chiefs neck. All three are showing on your coin. Only 2 on mine. Meaning your coin is a much better strike with fresher dies. Also notice how much detail you have in the feathers. The marks on the chiefs face may or may not affect the grade. If those are circulation marks, it will lower the grade significantly. If the graders determine they are bag marks, caused by other coins in the mint bag, those marks are not counted against the coin like circulation marks. I would take it to a reputable coin shop and have them send it in for grading. It it grades it will increase the value.
IMG_7076.jpeg
IMG_7077.jpeg

IMG_7068.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice! I have that same coin in my collection. All $2.50 Indians are considered common except for the 1911-D. Mine is graded MS-64 by PCGS and CAC. Your coin has even better detail than my 64. Look at the 3 bear claws around the chiefs neck. All three are showing on your coin. Only 2 on mine. Meaning your coin is a much better strike with fresher dies. Also notice how much detail you have in the feathers. The marks on the chiefs face may or may not affect the grade. If those are circulation marks, it will lower the grade significantly. If the graders determine they are bag marks, caused by other coins in the mint bag, those marks are not counted against the coin like circulation marks. I would take it to a reputable coin shop and have them send it in for grading. It it grades it will increase the value.View attachment 2174870View attachment 2174871
View attachment 2174872
Thank you, I will visit the coin shop near me on Tuesday.

Wow what an awesome find! I absolutely LOVE the Indian series of gold coins. I love the recessed design, which almost didn't come about. When Teddy Roosevelt advocated for new coin designs, it was argued that the recessed design would trap and hold dirt and germs and promote the spread of disease. A sentiment that followed the Spanish Flu pandemic from just a few years earlier. Cooler heads prevailed and the design was approved. I think the design is among our most beautiful coins ever produced.

Certainly the coin we all want to find. Huge congratulations to you. I swear I saw this coin on reddit this morning? You said it came in as a 60 on your machine. Which detector are you using? You got my banner vote.

Fantastic find! Congratulations! That is a real beautiful gold coin. Thank you for sharing with all of us. Voted banner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back