1883 O Branch Mint Cameo Question!!!!

jungleballs

Oct 20, 2024
Greetings all, I picked this up a few years ago because I thought that it was rare. I knew that a cameo coin was worth more, but now I started really studying Morgans andI see that this coin is something special. I need some input and observations to decide if I have to fly to New York for an appraisal. I tried to show the coin as the the cameo that I see when held in your hand to check the luster.

Thanks everybody!!!

Attachments

• 20241020_192728.jpg
    20241020_192728.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 16
  • 1000026318.jpg
    1000026318.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 16
  • 1000026323.jpg
    1000026323.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 16
I think a good number of those survived in near pristine condition and are described as " proof like" in high Ms grades with pronounced cameo features..
Lovely coin with nice surfaces
That's one to be proud of

I believe the scuffs and scratch on the obverse will keep it from being a high grade MS coin. The reverse would probably be an MS67, but, the obverse just doesn't have the visual appeal to make it much higher than MS63-4 IMO.

In God We Trust in on the reverse. Like I said, the reverse is very nice from what I can see in your photo. The obverse is something else and just doesn't have the eye appeal to get a high grade. The fields just have too many defects and the frost in the cameo is too blotchy. It could be an impaired proof, but, I just think it's an early business strike. Just my opinion though..... As Don mentioned, mail it in and see. No need to fly there. It won't be any cheaper to do it that way. You may want to visit a local coin dealer to get their opinion, or, better yet, a coin show where you can get several opinions. Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back