Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Attachments

• IMG_4276.JPG
    IMG_4276.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4280.JPG
    IMG_4280.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
eu_citizen i want to say thank you. you have been a tremendous help.

Here's a good one for you. Pay close attention to details15088586578831793122112.jpg15088587303801414174075.jpg1508858791670655076583.jpgthere's a bonus one too if your bored lol. I got about 40 lbs (all i could carry on this trip) of these (some big some really small no two alike) out of random location in washington the other day and I'm stumped... really cool find... but I got nothing lol. Thanks in advance!

Greetings everyone,
I have been looking everywhere online for a way to easily identify a rock I found, and I stumbled across this thread.

This summer, while at the beach, I found a strangely white-ish/yellow-ish piece of rock. At first sight, it doesn't seem all that special... but I live on Prince-Edward-Island, Canada, where rocks typically does not have this kind of appearance and density. Upon closer look, I noticed how it had an unfamiliar feel and look, and decided to take it home for further investigation. Fast forward today, I never got around to getting someone to look at it, so I figured I'd give it a try.

The rock is roughly 7 inches wide by 6 inches long, and 3 inches thick (~17.7, 15.2, 7.6 in centimeters). The rock isn't exactly symmetrical, so this is just to give you a rough idea. It weighs around 1.8kg.

View attachment 1507762
View attachment 1507763
View attachment 1507764
View attachment 1507766
View attachment 1507765

First time poster, so I hope I don't screw up anything. Thanks for the help!

Welcome!

Start of with an acid test, to rule out limestone. Drip on some vinegar on and see if it bubbles and fizzles - if so it's likely limestone.
A knife will scratch limestone, also a useful test.

Hi! My mother passed away earlier this year and we found a box full of these rocks in storage. We think the were may dad's (who died over a decade ago) who was an avid rock hunter. He did most of his rock hunting in Ontario and Quebec, Canada but it is entirely possible he obtained this somewhere else.

I'd be so grateful if you could help identify! Many thanks.
View attachment 1508556

For what it's worth: keep a look out for notes, papers, reference lists. Collectors often have those to know what it is & where it's from.

This specimen to me looks like amazonite.

Here's a good one for you. Pay close attention to detailsView attachment 1508730View attachment 1508732View attachment 1508733there's a bonus one too if your bored lol. I got about 40 lbs (all i could carry on this trip) of these (some big some really small no two alike) out of random location in washington the other day and I'm stumped... really cool find... but I got nothing lol. Thanks in advance!

Do you know what time it is now? HAMMERTIME! (sorry for the yelling)
Either way, chip of the edges of each piece you want ID'd. The weathered surface holds little clues for me to ID them with. Freshly broken surfaces are best.

Use gloves & eye protection!

Welcome!

Start of with an acid test, to rule out limestone. Drip on some vinegar on and see if it bubbles and fizzles - if so it's likely limestone.
A knife will scratch limestone, also a useful test.

Thanks for getting back to me!

I also tried scraping the surface of the stone with a file earlier, but forgot to update my post. The result was interesting; The stone appears to be quite tough, but I managed to file off a very, very thin white powder. Other than that, the spot I filed has become very smooth, almost glossy.

I followed your advice and tried pouring a few drops of white vinegar on it, and there was definitely a distinct fizzling sound, but no bubbles. I'm willing to go out on a limb and assume you were correct by answering limestone nevertheless, as it seems about right.

In any case, I greatly appreciate the information. That piece of stone has been driving me crazy with curiosity.

Thanks for getting back to me!

I also tried scraping the surface of the stone with a file earlier, but forgot to update my post. The result was interesting; The stone appears to be quite tough, but I managed to file off a very, very thin white powder. Other than that, the spot I filed has become very smooth, almost glossy.

I followed your advice and tried pouring a few drops of white vinegar on it, and there was definitely a distinct fizzling sound, but no bubbles. I'm willing to go out on a limb and assume you were correct by answering limestone nevertheless, as it seems about right.

In any case, I greatly appreciate the information. That piece of stone has been driving me crazy with curiosity.

Well, as a blacksmith I can tell you a file is less then ideal. Because it's from very hard steel, which can be misleading.
A cheap knife is better. I keep a cheap pocket knife on me for testing just about all the time.

However from the vinegar, I'd say we're pretty safe assuming it's limestone. The reactions strength/intensity is dependent on the concentration of the vinegar.
A lower percentage of acetic acid (which is the acid in vinegar) will make it bubble and fizzle slower or less then a higher percentage.

Looks like a fine grained rock. Not sure I can give a good ID on these, to much "rust" (=Limonite) obscuring the view.
If I were you, I'd look into Andesite, Rhyolite. It seems to be igneous to me, meaning it's from molten rock.

Another option is to have someone local to you look it up. Geology clubs, local schools, lapidary clubs are good places to start.

Have a peek here:
Igneous Rocks | Pictures of Intrusive and Extrusive Rock Types

Hi all,
Here's my favorite rock. I found it in Lake Superior a few years back, seems to have some quartz veins running through it, I thought it might be a geode, but God knows I'm not going to crack this baby open anytime soon.

Haven't done anything to it (except I have used it as a hammer a few times back when I was younger and without a toolbox). It's heavy for its size.

All the best,
StephenIMG_1577[1].JPGIMG_1576[1].JPGIMG_1575[1].JPGIMG_1574[1].JPG

Translucent blue

Hi all!
I found this in the desert south of Las Vegas. It is very lightweight. The blue is slightly transparent when held to the light. . Tried to look it up but no luck.
Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

IMG_0264.JPGIMG_0260.JPGIMG_0263.JPGIMG_0262.JPG

Hi all,
Here's my favorite rock. I found it in Lake Superior a few years back, seems to have some quartz veins running through it, I thought it might be a geode, but God knows I'm not going to crack this baby open anytime soon.

Haven't done anything to it (except I have used it as a hammer a few times back when I was younger and without a toolbox). It's heavy for its size.

All the best,
StephenView attachment 1509423View attachment 1509424View attachment 1509425View attachment 1509426

Could it be a Septarian Concretion, aka Lightning stone?

Hi, Found this in North carolina, sets off detector, any ideas? gb2 rock.pnguwharrie rock.jpg

I found this "rock" on the beach after hurricane irma. I found it because it set my metal detector off. it has mildly magnetic properties. seems the veins and rusty circles are magnetic but not the "stone" part. additionally this is a Florida beach that is well know to be a 1715 fleet shipwreck beach. Some have said it may be slag used as ballast stones. I personally thought it may have been from a load off of one of the ships, possibly part of the raw materials they had on board. But enough of my speculation. Do you know what it is and is it a natural stone for a Florida "treasure coast" Beach?IMG_4835.jpgIMG_4832.JPGIMG_4833.jpgIMG_4837.jpgIMG_4837.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back