Gold coin up today

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
That's three gold coins in as many years for me.
It's a hot day today but with a nice breeze that makes it tolerable despitenthe temps and so I headed onto some pasture on a farm just outside an old village here in Lancashire England.
Was only swinging the coil for 10-15 minutes and right out of the blue this little blighter popped up. Could just see the rim sticking out the turf and knew instantly i'd struck gold.
The rest of the session was terrible but I really didnt care to be honest.
Came up a solid 18 on the Nox 800 at onky a few inches deep.
Happy hunting folks, keep swinging those coils as You have to be in it to win it.

Attachments

• IMG-20240801-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240801-WA0002.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG-20240801-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240801-WA0001.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 178
Upvote 54
Oh my.....that is one beautiful gold coin! Congratulations on finding something that most all of us can only dream about finding.
Cheers pal, I know the likelihood of a Victorian sovereign coming up from the dirt in the states is slim but stranger things have happened.
Still wouldnt you say the likelihood of finding a 19th century gold coin would be similar in the US than here in England?
The 1860's wasnt exactly a decade of peace and prosperity for you folks but by the late 19th century there was money swirling around over there.
Be interesting to see how many gold coins where minted inbthe US in those days

Last edited:
Great find.... Your doing a great job. 1 gold coin is good but 3 in 3 years

Great find.... Your doing a great job. 1 gold coin is good but 3 in 3 years is outstanding sir....!
I guess if I'm due any credit here it's for my persistence but im sure there will be guys here who make me look like a part timer in comparison.
Just really good fortune. But what really matters in this game is as I said, you gotta be in it to win it. I could have quite easily sat in garden drinking cold beers this afternoon but instead I sweated in an open field.
I'd been to that field a couple of years ago but it was wet and boggy then. It yielded a few Victorian silvers and so I thought it worth another try despite it being on the trashy side.

Fantastic find! And so beautiful. Congratulations to you... especially for 3 golds in 3 years! Thanks for sharing and inspiring us all to keep on searching.

Well then...I've got some catching up to do. So far, 1 in 35+ years. I'll get busy when things cool down a bit. Hoping their will be 3 more in the next 3 years for you Urien.

Congratulations on a marvelous find. Your gold streak is a thing we all wish would come our way. I’ve found a lot of great stuff, but a gold coin is still on my bucket list after 22 years. Maybe I’ll be in the right place at the right time sometime in the future. That beautiful coin deserves to be on the banner. Hopefully you will get enough likes to make it happen.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

That coin is in incredible condition, it must've been an early drop. :occasion14:
Congratulations on finding a gold coin, most of us can only dream about those.
- Dave

It's a hot day today but with a nice breeze that makes it tolerable despitenthe temps and so I headed onto some pasture on a farm just outside an old village here in Lancashire England.
Was only swinging the coil for 10-15 minutes and right out of the blue this little blighter popped up. Could just see the rim sticking out the turf and knew instantly i'd struck gold.
Happy hunting folks, keep swinging those coils as You have to be in it to win it.
Fantastic! Congratulations

Thanks for the interest and kind words folks.
I would say I hope you all find three gold coins tomorrow but careful what you wish for, I always thought the dwarves having that much gold in the Hobbit would mean as a commodity it would be worthless in middle Earth as the supply more than met the demand, but anyway not the place to discuss the fiscal matters of a fictional world I guess.
just good luck to you all and may whatever it is on your bucket list does eventually come up.
As for me, well I made the farmers day today by showing him this.
He's not wealthy and has a young family so he's made up that it will be a 50/50.split and maybe few hundred quid in his back sack.
Auction most likely.
Going off a Google search i think maybe £5-600? (sorry not sure what that amounts to in dollars)
Any money I get will be ploughed straight back into this hobby. Maybe a new coil for my back up machine and a pair of new boots for winter.
Apart from time which I've given loads of, since i got into metal detecting seriously three years ago, I have made a few hundred selling scrap brass and copper. £90 selling scrap silver. Half of the sale of two gold coins £600 and about £600 for some silver milled coins.
I have a collection of hammered coins from Roman Denarius to Englsih civil war era half crowns and shillings. All im all about £3000 worth though i will never part with any, they are my.....precious.
I have also shared many with the landowners too. Karma is real.
what hobby pays for itself like that?
It also gets me out meeting landowners and people with money who need things doing and as tradesman, that means i get plenty of work from my permissions.

Fantastic hobby. Just a shame i only got hooked at the half century stage.
Though as a younger man I doubt id have had the patience.

Happy hunting folks

Can you imagine the pain that person felt after losing that coin ? Maybe someone died or was Beaten for stealing it when they didn't, but it was actually lost.. Few people carried Gold Coins around and fewer people lost them...
Incredible find !!!

Can you imagine the pain that person felt after losing that coin ? Maybe someone died or was Beaten for stealing it when they didn't, but it was actually lost.. Few people carried Gold Coins around and fewer people lost them...
Incredible find !!!
Apparently it cost one gold sovereign for a day out with the foxhunt back in those days so I like to imagine it was lost by a toff riding around on a horse chasing little animals for fun rather than some poor families life savings.
I'm not even contemplating that someone got beat up in the middle of that field and lost a gold coin in the process either 😆
It wasnt the wild west ya know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back