what would happen if the earth stopped spinning

I am very curious about what would happen if the earth stopped spinning and would like to hear your guys opinions

You don't specify how quickly the brakes are applied.

If it was an immediate stoppage, anything not nailed down (and much of what is) would be instantly moving at roughly 1000 mph.

If it was a slow stoppage, as in over a period of years, then the Earth would lose it's electro-magnetic shield (magnetosphere). Result of that is the Earth would be bombarded with cosmic and solar radiation, any life above ground would soon cease to exist, followed by the Earth pretty much becoming a twin sister to Mars.

The Earth would also be tidal locked, meaning that one side of the planet would always be facing the Sun, and the other side in eternal darkness.

In short, it would really suck.
damnit.gif

Why do you ask...got plans?
ufo-021.gif

The effects would depend on whether it happened gradually or suddenly.

Earth’s rotation is in fact already slowing over time, but at a rate that increases the length of an Earth day by only about 1 second every 50,000 years. If that were happening at a more noticeable rate, we could expect to observe:

- A progressive increase in the length of days and nights. Ultimately, one side of Earth would be in continuous night, becoming colder and colder; the other side ultimately in continuous day, becoming hotter and hotter.

- Disturbance of the circadian rhythm which regulates biological processes in organisms, including man. Many of those processes are synchronised in a way that’s essential to health.

- Changes in weather patterns and tides, with Earth eventually becoming tidally locked with the Sun.

- Problems with satellite technology. Geostationary satellites synchronised with the motion of the Earth would no longer appear to be ‘stationary’, making it impossible to maintain the telecommunications and weather monitoring systems that rely on them.

- Probable progressive loss of Earth's magnetic field which, among other things, protects us from harmful radiation.

- Progressive dying out of plant life and organisms that depend on photosynthesis, ultimately leading to a mass extinction caused by collapse of the food chain.

If it happened suddenly, pretty much everything that’s not firmly attached to or an integral part of Earth’s surface would be flung eastwards at devastating speeds from their stored momentum. At the equator, that would be around 1,000 miles an hour, decreasing towards the poles. Movement of huge rocks would create enormous earthquakes and tsunamis. The atmosphere would continue to rotate under its own momentum, scouring the landscape with an unimaginably strong wind and sweeping away things on the surface into a low orbit around Earth.

Last edited:
You don't specify how quickly the brakes are applied.

If it was an immediate stoppage, anything not nailed down (and much of what is) would be instantly moving at roughly 1000 mph.

If it was a slow stoppage, as in over a period of years, then the Earth would lose it's electro-magnetic shield (magnetosphere). Result of that is the Earth would be bombarded with cosmic and solar radiation, any life above ground would soon cease to exist, followed by the Earth pretty much becoming a twin sister to Mars.

The Earth would also be tidal locked, meaning that one side of the planet would always be facing the Sun, and the other side in eternal darkness.

In short, it would really suck. View attachment 2167538

Why do you ask...got plans? View attachment 2167539
thank you and quite frankly the only reason I started this trend is just out of pure curiosity

are you planning on selling tickets to keep the ride going ?

if you are !

I want a % :coffee2:

The earth spins, we stay on it. It stops spinning we are flung into space :icon_scratch:
Hang on, maybe it spinning balances out a thing we don't know yet. Opposite logic!
Ok, it spins, but we can walk around all cool, detecting and stuff.
Then it stops spinning! The balance is finito, now we get sucked into the centre of the earth!
Journey to the centre of the earth! Hey, great movie title 😀
I gotta copyright that.

The earth spins, we stay on it. It stops spinning we are flung into space :icon_scratch:

Most likely not. Rotation does not equal gravity. If it stopped suddenly, yes, we would continue moving at about 1000 mph. ..at least until we met a solid object.

Think of Wile E. Coyote riding an Acme rocket, and it runs out of fuel.
sSig_aaarggh.gif

"I am very curious about what would happen if the earth stopped spinning and would like to hear your guys opinions"

Well... i guess the ride would be over and then i could step off.

Hang on, maybe it spinning balances out a thing we don't know yet. Opposite logic!
Ok, it spins, but we can walk around all cool, detecting and stuff.
Then it stops spinning! The balance is finito, now we get sucked into the centre of the earth!
Journey to the centre of the earth! Hey, great movie title 😀
I gotta copyright that.
ok first of all u would die but is a great movie title

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back