Adding a fluid dampener to my 50” sluice

Foulwind

Greenie
Sep 3, 2024
Hey all, I’ve made a small fluid dampener for my sluice. Not sure it will work as I want it to. Goal is to capture more of the micro fine flour gold in my local beaches sand. I’ve recently been able to see how much color is washing right out the end. So I put together a small dampener using some rubber backed carpet strips. Currently the dampener is positioned just back from the first riffle. I have no idea if it’s going to work. If it’s going to adversely affect water flow through the remaking length of sluice, if water is going to flow over the damper. My thought is to have the dampener knock floating micro fine gold down and out of the water stream.
My questions are: Has anyone done this with their small sluices? If so, where would the optimal position be for the dampener? Below is a shot of the carpet used and the dampener installed.
Have not got it wet yet so no idea how or what it’ll do. Have a few days of panning from last time out at beach.
Thanks
IMG_4650.jpeg
IMG_4654.jpeg

Dampener's DO WORK ! I used to put them in my dredge's and sluice's when I used to go out ! I'm to old and beat up to do any of that any more ! The idea of the fluid dampener is to flatten out the turbulance in the water and to help force to fine gold down into the carpet ! So I think your on the right track .

Thanks! I figured I couldn’t be the only guy to think about this for small scale sluicing. I’m suspecting I may have to raise the cross bar up and out of the water stream, basically support it above the sluice edges. Ext trip to beach will tell.

Deep V mat or a Gold cube. Here is a beach mining thread from T-net.

I decided to raise my dampener up by about 2” so water will flow under it and not over it. Was very simple. Heading to my local beach tomorrow’ to give it a try. I’ll be studying what’s going on with it and water flows before and after it. Trying to determine if the placement is right. Is the carpet piece going to be heavy enough to an affect on the water flow? Will I need to make another on to put further down nearer to the end? Hopefully when I start panning I’ll be able to notice a greater quantity of gold than I’ve been seeing. If it appears that more color is actually making it into my mats, then maybe I do add another one a little down stream and possibly one in my second sluice ( Tailings sluice) going to find out tomorrow.
IMG_4697.jpeg
IMG_4698.jpeg

Looks like a winner to me. Jason (Flower gold wizard) is making smooth water heads that slip on your sluice. Seems it might be a good thing to consider for the beach miner. Keeps the turbulence down on in coming water.

This morning I was able to run 9 buckets of beach sand and got see what the fluid dampener did. Not sure it did anything. The end (Down stream end) actually rode on top of the water column. Riffles below it still cleared (As expected) sand still flowed through the sluice. Cleaned the mats at the beach then again at home. While removing mats I started conjuring up ideas on how to slow material (The darn sand) down some to give it a better chance to fall out of the water column. (Something I hoped the dampener would accomplish but has t yet) ideas like putting a screen wedge made with 1/4”mesh , or adding different verticals riffles. Then, ( A Duh…moment) i thought all this brain power I’m evoking on this subject is about water flow rates. This sluice was designed to run regular pay dirt with pickers and nuggets. My pay sand is not pay dirt! According to the instructions for the sluice, and a few YT videos, having a “V wake” formed in the feed area indicated proper water flow to allow sluice to operate correctly. (Proper angle as well) I don’t have angle but have had the “V” many times. Sluice has enough flow rate to roll small rocks down and out of the box and beach sand/gold too. So because beach pay is not normal pay dirt, I need to change how I set up water flow. I need to try something different. Next time I wet the sluice, I’m going to place it in slower water. This will mean I’ll have to feed it slower as well. Maybe with slower water velocities the dampener can actually work. I won’t get as many bucket through but if the sand/gold is not blowing out the tail end and settling more, maybe I won’t need as many buckets. I realize sand still needs to clear or mats will pack up. It’ll be a few day (Week) before I get back out to beach I have about 5” of concentrates in 5gal bucket to get through again.

This morning I was able to run 9 buckets of beach sand and got see what the fluid dampener did. Not sure it did anything. The end (Down stream end) actually rode on top of the water column. Riffles below it still cleared (As expected) sand still flowed through the sluice. Cleaned the mats at the beach then again at home. While removing mats I started conjuring up ideas on how to slow material (The darn sand) down some to give it a better chance to fall out of the water column. (Something I hoped the dampener would accomplish but has t yet) ideas like putting a screen wedge made with 1/4”mesh , or adding different verticals riffles. Then, ( A Duh…moment) i thought all this brain power I’m evoking on this subject is about water flow rates. This sluice was designed to run regular pay dirt with pickers and nuggets. My pay sand is not pay dirt! According to the instructions for the sluice, and a few YT videos, having a “V wake” formed in the feed area indicated proper water flow to allow sluice to operate correctly. (Proper angle as well) I don’t have angle but have had the “V” many times. Sluice has enough flow rate to roll small rocks down and out of the box and beach sand/gold too. So because beach pay is not normal pay dirt, I need to change how I set up water flow. I need to try something different. Next time I wet the sluice, I’m going to place it in slower water. This will mean I’ll have to feed it slower as well. Maybe with slower water velocities the dampener can actually work. I won’t get as many bucket through but if the sand/gold is not blowing out the tail end and settling more, maybe I won’t need as many buckets. I realize sand still needs to clear or mats will pack up. It’ll be a few day (Week) before I get back out to beach I have about 5” of concentrates in 5gal bucket to get through again.

It sounds like your water may be moving a bit too fast. If the flakes never really get a chance to stop tumbling along in the water they won’t settle. The fluid damper you built will ride on top of the water given the buoyant nature of the rubber mat but should force the gold under water giving them a better chance to fall out of suspension and become caught in the friction the sand bed and sluice mat will create.

Without seeing just what the fed material looks like it’s hard to say 100% as efficiently running any sluice is something you just kinda get a feel for after a while.

You could try and make a damper from a piece of aluminum, or maybe more than one. Something with a sharp edge that will slap down the tumbling partials and force them under water. The fella who owns placer tools has a fine good recovery unit that uses what he calls a “gate” ( I believe). It’s a bar the water has to push under making sure all the sand and gold is under water and not tumbling along. I’m pretty sure it’s on You Tube. It’s a neat idea.

Hope my ramblings are of at least some help.

It sounds like your water may be moving a bit too fast. If the flakes never really get a chance to stop tumbling along in the water they won’t settle. The fluid damper you built will ride on top of the water given the buoyant nature of the rubber mat but should force the gold under water giving them a better chance to fall out of suspension and become caught in the friction the sand bed and sluice mat will create.

Without seeing just what the fed material looks like it’s hard to say 100% as efficiently running any sluice is something you just kinda get a feel for after a while.

You could try and make a damper from a piece of aluminum, or maybe more than one. Something with a sharp edge that will slap down the tumbling partials and force them under water. The fella who owns placer tools has a fine good recovery unit that uses what he calls a “gate” ( I believe). It’s a bar the water has to push under making sure all the sand and gold is under water and not tumbling along. I’m pretty sure it’s on You Tube. It’s a neat idea.

Thank you for the reply. I’ll see if I can find “gate” on the YT.

Might you have a link for pl

Can post a link for the placer tools “gate”? My google Fu is weak this morning and not finding anything. Thanks
Ok I miss spoke. He calls them dams. The clear plexie walls he installs into this separator to force the material to stop tumbling, get organized and force it under water. You can see a few in this dooohicky of his.

Makes sense in theory.

Attachments

• IMG_4722.png
    IMG_4722.png
    759.6 KB · Views: 7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back