Ghana

View attachment 746708
yeah all the water will flow underneath i will be using a pump for the fluid bed so i can add extra waterto the slip plate if need to help the flow move the materal, i can add some more metal at the start to give it time to settle.

this is my first design ever, not much sleep lol can only get better with your help guys... i didnt add a trommal because of cost and hassle.. i will use a feeding pond with a ventura style 5 inch hose this should help break up the clay and dirt i think lol

I like the idea of the slick plate in front of the trap, the longer the better, with a rubber flap over the incoming slurry like you said.

If the incoming material is somewhat compacted you could use a crash box in front of the slick plate just like a dredge.
And If you used a flattened cone/flair leading into the crash box so much the better!

backpask4.jpg3inchbackpack2.jpg

A crash box
crashbox.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
I spent 3 months in Ghana on a rural nonprofit research gig.

Others have said it, and you've had fair warning. I think you're going to lose your shirt. But I have a feeling you won't be dissuaded from losing said shirt, either.

The first half of this thread is all I read, so I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned theft. You should be prepared for it to happen. Your equipment, fuel, and supplies may also be "borrowed" during off-hours. In addition, you'll have to curry the favor of all local government officials as well as tribal leaders, depending on the area you're in. With your operating costs and start up costs (your equipment will only pass customs with some "green grease" on top of heavy duties), you'll never find enough gold (nor be able to sell it at a fair price), to pay for the venture.

Just my two cents. I won't butt in again.

-Ammo

Last edited:
all my ghanian friends have those sort of connections as there familys are all chief or ministers of something of that nature thats why they had enough money to send their kids (my friends) to school here in england :)

new3.JPG
the item that looks like a grill will sit over the fluid bed clarify it is made of round steel rods welded, the bottom half of the rods will be welded close enough to only allow find pay dirt to drop over the fluid bed, the next rods are further aprt to clarify every thing else ( i chose this methothod as i think the waste matiral will slide easier as the rods wont have any joins)it then falls down into the sluice and under the metal slide which sits on top of the sluice bed the bottom bed consists of matt,grill,raffles all waste materal carries on over the metal top cover and off the sluice ........ i could add the box before hand for clay

Attachments

• new3.JPG
    new3.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
i have looked into this but like i said i trust my friends they have a big family and 25000people that live on his land as he is chief
I spent 3 months in Ghana on a rural nonprofit research gig.

Others have said it, and you've had fair warning. I think you're going to lose your shirt. But I have a feeling you won't be dissuaded for losing said shirt, either.

The first half of this thread is all I read, so I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned theft. You should be prepared for it to happen. Your equipment, fuel, and supplies may also be "borrowed" during off-hours. In addition, you'll have to curry the favor of all local government officials as well as tribal leaders, depending on the area you're in. With your operating costs and start up costs (your equipment will only pass customs with some "green grease" on top of heavy duties), you'll never find enough gold (nor be able to sell it at a fair price), to pay for the venture.

Just my two cents. I won't butt in again.

-Ammo

loving the setupi will get a good look at the land before i finalise any plans but greatminds think alike lol
I like the idea of the slick plate in front of the trap, the longer the better, with a rubber flap over the incoming slurry like you said.

If the incoming material is somewhat compacted you could use a crash box in front of the slick plate just like a dredge.
And If you used a flattened cone leading into the crash box so much the better!

View attachment 746725View attachment 746726

A crash box
View attachment 746728

GG~

the reason for extend sluice is clay

Just remember that the flow will slow down by 1/2 when the width of the sluice doubles. I really do not see where that will help with clay.
But it should help with fine gold if it doesn't load up with material due to slower flow.

GG~

Last edited:
i am goingto run a normal high preasure water pump for the fluid bed so i can prob make holes and add more pipes and stop valves to adjust flow where needed yeah/neh
Just remember that the flow will slow down by 1/2 when the width of the sluice doubles. I really do not see where that will help with clay.
But it should help with fine gold if it doesn't load up with material due to slower flow.

GG~

i have been looking at keene pumps 500 g/m pump / against a honda wt40 trash pump which does 430 litres a min... if im using a ventura dredge type system the output is nearly the same, and its cheaper to run ?

I would go with the Proline HP500 over the Keene for only 1 reason. The Keene is a 4 x 3"and this makes it harder to hold when you are using it as a hydro set up. The proline HP500 is a 3 x 2"high pressure with a 9hp motor and it will give you enough pressure that you will have a hard time holding it but it is totally Usable. I think that your full fluid bed will need to be at least 24"wide for the box that you are thinking about building. Personally, I would go with a 24"wide fluid from a 6" supply hose. Then be sure to set up the screening process so that your 2 side boxes each have different sized material running through it. I would also use a jet flare and wash all of the material with a high pressure hose at the entrance of the 6" hose. This way everything will be broken up before it enters the hose. If you run a full sized fire hose to break up the material before it can enter the system, then you will be sure to get all of the gold that you can instead of trying to rely on a crash box to break up some of the rest. I always have high pressure blaster hoses connected right to the nozzle and also another with a shut off valve in my hand.

I'm not going to be holding it it will be sitting or strapped in a holding pond , the bigger the pickup hose the larger material I can pass through it ? i haven't seen the pressure hose ! Will gave a look .. What kind of pressure do I need to make a six inch pickup hose work .. Ie 500gpm 5.0 bar as I gave found some second hand plant machines they don't gave to be That portable just cheap and do the job ;)

If you don't have much in the way of lift to worry about and a short pick up hose like 12 feet or so, 650gpm will work fine with a dual inductor, 750 or more for a single and it goes up from there with added hose length and greater depth.

Why have you decided on a fluid bed? Is there any certain reason why? I love fluid beds but I think there is a purpose for different recovery equipment.. In my oppinion fluid beds work well for high % of sandy material, b/c it will take less pressure to keep the material in a fluid state while keeping the gold in the trap... I don't know what kind of ground you will be going to but I have a feeling it is going to be a high clay content.
Also don't you think you should have the fluid bed at the end of the sluice so it has time to break up the dirt? That was the whole point of having a long tom type sluice was to break up the dirt!! So long Slick plate -----> long sluice ------> dialed in fluid bed

Are you going down there to mine, prospect, or prospect then mine? IMO I would have a few different plans of action depending on soil type, amount of gold, and ease of access. Don't throw everything at one thing right now you just have no idea what it is like there. It wouldn't be wise to spend your start up money on some equipment ment for one type of gold recovery and get down there and find out that it is close to useless...

IMO get a excavator and a small sluice and pump and see how rich the ground is, if the sluice gets clogged quickly, etc etc... Then you can make better decisions what you should throw your money at...

Actually the more I think about it Long slick plate -----> long sluice------>dialed in fluid bed -------> a separate sluice designed for trapping fine gold that I think will be blown out b/c of water pressure that you will need to use to keep it in a fluid stat

Last edited:
Thanks for your input I'm also havering second thoughts on the fluid bed I like the under and over sluices you get with the dredges :( I'm just going out to test the ground. Yeah there seems to be clay:sandy ground.... And suppose to be loads and loads of diamonds

this machine is in Africa. it is built to find gold and diamonds and will work in clay. the makers of the trommel are diamond miners and dredgers. savannah engineering is the parent company of precision dredges. having a sluice and jigs are great. I would take a hard look at these machines.

bill-costa rica said:
this machine is in Africa. it is built to find gold and diamonds and will work in clay. the makers of the trommel are diamond miners and dredgers. savannah engineering is the parent company of precision dredges. having a sluice and jigs are great. I would take a hard look at these machines.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIOQnosomN0

Yeah looks very good ( I don't think I could make that lol :(

Diamonds are where the real money is at.

A few good diamonds could pay for the whole operation.
You may want to look into purchasing a "stir pan" for diamond recovery, it will also capture gold.

6-ft-pan-5-w.jpg

The wash plant with the duplex jig that Bill-Costa Rica suggested, or a stir pan would be a great investment, if I were an investor I would insist on using high quality recovery equipment such as those.

Tested and proven recovery equipment will not only pay for itself in recovered values but also in reliability and durability, saving you both money and time in the long run, insuring you and your investors a better chance at a more successful venture.

The wash plant and stir pan may seem like a big investment to you but really they are only considered test equipment.
Once the values are determined to warrant a large investment that's when the real processing equipment comes into play.

wash-plant---jeep--05-copyw.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back