38 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC00635.JPG
    DSC00635.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00633.JPG
    DSC00633.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
Cool piece. Is there a rim on that? It looks to be the bottom of a much larger cooking pot. they had round bottoms on them to sit down in the coals better. I think I see a rim on part of it but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Got it. Good cordinance... I could see the color change where it was broken also. You should go back and visit that guy from time to time. I do the same thing with a guy at the Mount Dora flea market by me. every time I go we start talking.. and talking.. and he gives me things. I'm going up that way for Christmas I'm actually going to bring him something.

Road Dog said:
Got this at the Flea today. Fella was selling all sorts of local (NC) artifacts. He had boxes full of partial arrowheads,tools,pottery pieces etc. Pulled this mostly intact bowl from the pile.

I have been hunting NC for 25 years now, and have yet to run up on any thing like that. Nice! Don't be insulted by this question. Are you certain it is authentic? My uncle was at a flea market this past weekend and found a guy with frames of busted points. He wanted $25.00 for busted points. I don't buy, let alone broken points. If one does buy, a broken bowl, like yours, is much different than broken morrow mt. Points. You see what I'm saying, right?

I would say no doubt real. Not many people fake a broken pot. I am thinking its a paddled cord wrapped??What do you think Gator? Nice find Road Dog if it did not have a rim I would be thinking a leg off a very large pot. Nice snag for sure.:thumbsup:

Thanks ya'll. It's definately authentic. I've found alot of pieces of pots over the years. This fella had everything in big boxes you had to dig thru. I coulda bought the whole box of pieces for 20 bucks. I told him I didn't need another box of those at the house.

Road Dog said:
Thanks ya'll. It's definately authentic. I've found alot of pieces of pots over the years. This fella had everything in big boxes you had to dig thru. I coulda bought the whole box of pieces for 20 bucks. I told him I didn't need another box of those at the house.

Is this an AD. piece, or BP? In my part of NC, we never find pottery. Let alone whole pots. Women think they can shop. Look at what men drag back from their shopping spree! LOL

Pretty sure it's 1000- 500 BC or so. I'm not an expert on the Fabric impressed pottery. Have to hit the books when I get home

Cool piece. Is there a rim on that? It looks to be the bottom of a much larger cooking pot. they had round bottoms on them to sit down in the coals better. I think I see a rim on part of it but I'm not sure.

These pots are low-fired clay, poorly vitrified. They were still fragile after firing, and could not withstand the repeated thermal stresses of being placed directly in the coals for cooking. My understanding is that these pots were not put on a fire for cooking, but that heated "cooking stones" were placed into the pot.

I've read something about this, but I can't recall where. Who has some authoritative reference to share?

Harry Pristis said:
These pots are low-fired clay, poorly vitrified. They were still fragile after firing, and could not withstand the repeated thermal stresses of being placed directly in the coals for cooking. My understanding is that these pots were not put on a fire for cooking, but that heated "cooking stones" were placed into the pot.

I've read something about this, but I can't recall where. Who has some authoritative reference to share?

There's Harry! Good to see you back.

I have a multitude of pottery from large cooking pots that are anything but fragile. I could knock someone over the head with them. I will post a link or 2 bit later but it's very well documented that the large round bottom pots sat directly on coals. They still have the scorching on the bottom as evidence. it's also assumed that a ring. of green branches we're inserted around the bottom to help stabilize the pot. There's really no other reason why a large pot would be made with a round bottom as to not be able to stand on its own. unless it was to be buried partially in the ground in which case a piece of Hide would have been much easier to use to contain liquid. It's also fairly well documented that cooking stones sometimes referred to as archaic cooking stones were not used everywhere round bottom pottery has been recovered. The Florida Museum of Natural History website offers a wealth of the information on pottery styles tempers.. form and function.

potpic.jpeg

Tnmountains said:
I would say no doubt real. Not many people fake a broken pot. I am thinking its a paddled cord wrapped??What do you think Gator? Nice find Road Dog if it did not have a rim I would be thinking a leg off a very large pot. Nice snag for sure.:thumbsup:

I think you may be correct... although it's a bit hard to tell just from the photo. it may be corn cob.

Harry Pristis said:

I have all sorts of information on Florida because that's where I focus.. so I made sure to get info that pertains specifically to North Carolina. This specifically mentions Round bottom cooking pots Being placed directly in a hearth. For Those who don't know What a hearth is... it's a fireplace which quite often is an impression in the ground filled with Coals and ash. A fire pit. www.learnnc.org/LP/editions/nchist-twoworlds/2642

I'd also like to know Harry.... Where you got your information About the fact That these vessels Could not stand Being placed in Coals. It sounded like You are making a factual statement..... Or was that just a guess?

. . . I will post a link or 2 bit later but it's very well documented that the large round bottom pots sat directly on coals. They still have the scorching on the bottom as evidence. it's also assumed that a ring. of green branches we're inserted around the bottom to help stabilize the pot. There's really no other reason why a large pot would be made with a round bottom as to not be able to stand on its own. unless it was to be buried partially in the ground in which case a piece of Hide would have been much easier to use to contain liquid. It's also fairly well documented that cooking stones sometimes referred to as archaic cooking stones were not used everywhere round bottom pottery has been recovered. . . .

I am certainly eager to see the documentation you promise. I'll bet that Native Americans never thought to suspend a clay cooking pot above the coals. A spit, a tripod . . . Nawww.

you've never heard of ancient dutch ovens? :laughing7: I thought you knew everything harry?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back