• DSC00635.JPG
    DSC00635.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00633.JPG
    DSC00633.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
Harry Pristis said:
Alright! I would call that documentation! Excellent stuff, Griswold.

I want to share that account of Cherokee potting with a friend who is a potter. Thanks!

Notice How it even mentions The sticks I was trying to tell you about. Yet you tried to make it sound absurd. Your welcome.

Harry Pristis said:
Alright! I would call that documentation! Excellent stuff, Griswold.

I want to share that account of Cherokee potting with a friend who is a potter. Thanks!

Your welcome

Yeah definitely thanks Jonathan. I was going on memory but that's not good enough for some.

I'm thinking this is a Badin Fabric impressed bowl. The temper applied is crushed quartz. Here is a pic of a Clay cooking ball I found on a site I hunt in Johnston Co. NC. It is tempered with quartz as well. Site I hunted was full of them. They were heated and placed in pots for cooking veggies and whatever. Also a pic of a book I have that is a good read.

Attachments

• DSC00640.JPG
    DSC00640.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC00641.JPG
    DSC00641.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 88
Actually has the appearance of a coil pot possibly formed within a gunny sack or other heavy textured fabric to maintain its pot-like shape.

As to date, it should be authenicated by age dating technology or by already known and dated remnants. This would avoid guessing dates or giving it a fabricated history. In fact, it could have been made in the last century using local clay or off-the-shelf clay compounds.

Might want to check with a local university or museum to verify if aborginy clay vessels dated prior to 1000 - 1200 AD... Texas was sparsly populated by Native Americans till around that time.

I believe pottery production in that area of North Carolina started to show up in the late archaic.. becoming very prevalent during the Woodland time period.

That's right GatorBoy. I thought about taking it to the Museum to get there thoughts. The Indian population in the Woodland times was kinda sparse. Maybe the area was not so hospitabe during that time.

The clay cooking balls are thought to have been in use 1000 years before the Clay Pots.

And this is just my opinion and it's also a touchy subject but I believe the eastern half of North America was populated separately than the Western land bridge people.

Road Dog said:
That's right GatorBoy. I thought about taking it to the Museum to get there thoughts. The Indian population in the Woodland times was kinda sparse. Maybe the area was not so hospitabe during that time.

The clay cooking balls are thought to have been in use 1000 years before the Clay Pots.

Every book that I have states that NC'a archaic period lasted at least 1,000 years longer than other states. I really do not understand that. At present, it's 2012. My small town is 20 years behind, say, LA. But, be you in LA or my small town, it's still 2012. See what I'm saying? I do know one thing. Pottery, and woodland artifacts in general are a rarity in the part of NC that I live in.

NC. That could have to do with the pH of the soil, the conditions and history of the sites in your area.. like if you're talking about a field that's been tilled and plowed for generations ect.. some land just isn't conducive to Pottery surviving very well.

Every book that I have states that NC'a archaic period lasted at least 1,000 years longer than other states. I really do not understand that. At present, it's 2012. My small town is 20 years behind, say, LA. But, be you in LA or my small town, it's still 2012. See what I'm saying? I do know one thing. Pottery, and woodland artifacts in general are a rarity in the part of NC that I live in.

Maybe a sparser population changed slower due to the lack of outside influences?

GatorBoy said:
NC. That could have to do with the pH of the soil, the conditions and history of the sites in your area.. like if you're talking about a field that's been tilled and plowed for generations ect.. some land just isn't conducive to Pottery surviving very well.

As I have mentioned, our land is more acidic than any of the other states. With a Ph matched only in Africa, which relates to the land bridge indirectly. However, pottery isn't even found in our waters in great abundance. Some, but not plentiful by any means. I'm sure the water has high acid content, just as the land that it runs through. To my understanding, any pottery that is, in fact found here was traded in. That provides us with knowledge of outsider presence. Could be that our location was not as drastically affected by the changing weather. We are known for having all 4 seasons, as each is meant to be. ( snow in winter, hot in summer, you get the point) if that were in fact the case, I suppose no drastic change in life would be necessary. ???

There has been a lot of pottery found in North Carolina. Made from indigenous material.

Here is a cooking pot recovered from an archaeological dig in North Carolina. It's woodland. and made from local clay. Jonathan posted a very good link on North Carolina pottery you should read it.

Colington.jpeg

GatorBoy said:
There has been a lot of pottery found in North Carolina. Made from indigenous material.

I was a bit misleading in my last post. I was talking about the piedmont or triad part of NC. Don't get me wrong, a shard or so will pop up every once in a blue moon in my area. It just isn't here, like it is at other locations. That isn't saying its never been here. I can drive 20 min. North and find pottery. However, it's always on a river. You know what that means. Traded in traveling.

It also usually means higher population density. and village sites. if you think about it people weren't really going to being bringing pottery with them to smaller hunting camps. The villages were almost always associated with the water. that's why you will find more pottery there.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back