🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Flat button ID

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Don’t know if it’s possible to ID this. Found where 1870 church. Ive found union cavalry items and found items as far back as 1850s here.

I tried to take good pics of front and back. I can’t tell which way is right side up either . Any opinions on what it might be on front and back?

Attachments

• IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    948.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6780.jpeg
    IMG_6780.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 38
Is the shank in tact? If so, that help you date the button also. I dont have the diagram with the different shanks handy, but I've seen it posted on TNet before.

Upvote 0
Don’t know if it’s possible to ID this. Found where 1870 church. Ive found union cavalry items and found items as far back as 1850s here.

I tried to take good pics of front and back. I can’t tell which way is right side up either . Any opinions on what it might be on front and back?
Well done getting the older button.
It's possible getting a button that is decades older than other recoveries at a site.

As a coin can be in circulation for decades before being lost.

Upvote 1
I can’t tell enough from the photo.
Possibly a spun back (pre-1785)
Here is an ID chart.👍🏼
IMG_1702.jpeg

Upvote 0
If seen the chart someone sent it to me
It’s got rings and looks like a different metal on the backside in a smaller circle . I looked with magnifying glass but still can’t make out the picture in front and words on back

Upvote 0
It’s got different metal on inner circle so it’s early 1800s maybe late 1700s ( maybe that’s the spun term)

Attachments

• IMG_6787.jpeg
    IMG_6787.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
I searched some of them and I got militia buttons
I remember finding my first Pre-1800 flat button. I was stoked! I believe I used hot hydrogen peroxide to try to read mine. I could read it, but the surface was affected. Maybe try your pencils on it.

Upvote 0
Probably early 1800s & it looks crudely resized (maybe cut down from a coat to a cuff button)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back