Jan 14, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    948.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6780.jpeg
    IMG_6780.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 33
Is the shank in tact? If so, that help you date the button also. I dont have the diagram with the different shanks handy, but I've seen it posted on TNet before.

Upvote 0
Don’t know if it’s possible to ID this. Found where 1870 church. Ive found union cavalry items and found items as far back as 1850s here.

I tried to take good pics of front and back. I can’t tell which way is right side up either . Any opinions on what it might be on front and back?
Well done getting the older button.
It's possible getting a button that is decades older than other recoveries at a site.

As a coin can be in circulation for decades before being lost.

Upvote 1
I can’t tell enough from the photo.
Possibly a spun back (pre-1785)
Here is an ID chart.👍🏼
IMG_1702.jpeg

Upvote 0
If seen the chart someone sent it to me
It’s got rings and looks like a different metal on the backside in a smaller circle . I looked with magnifying glass but still can’t make out the picture in front and words on back

Upvote 0
It’s got different metal on inner circle so it’s early 1800s maybe late 1700s ( maybe that’s the spun term)

Attachments

• IMG_6787.jpeg
    IMG_6787.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
I searched some of them and I got militia buttons
I remember finding my first Pre-1800 flat button. I was stoked! I believe I used hot hydrogen peroxide to try to read mine. I could read it, but the surface was affected. Maybe try your pencils on it.

Upvote 0
I remember finding my first Pre-1800 flat button. I was stoked! I believe I used hot hydrogen peroxide to try to read mine. I could read it, but the surface was affected. Maybe try your pencils on it.
I’m scared lol

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back