Exceptional Quality - 1906 Barber Quarter... ;o)

XPress2

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this 1906 Barber Quarter yesterday in an area that I found a 1907 Barber Dime, last week. I am shocked at the exceptional condition this coin is in, however, the Barber Dime matches its quality perfectly. I posted the dime on the 25th of May, I think, if you are interested in comparing the two. This is now my favorite coin in my collection, and I can't imagine getting anything better. I found it with my Fisher F4, and it was no deeper than 3"... Lucky me, lol...

OK... Sorry to cause such a huge coin cleaning debate in the forums today... Next time, I will post it dirt and all, lol. It's not fake, it is mine, I am lucky to have found it, along with the others, in very good condition. I am not concerned about passing them down, selling them, or doing anything but looking at them, because they are mine. I understand completely, everyone's suggestions, and have reconsidered posting my other finds as a result. Personally, I don't see the value in a dirty old coin like most members do. That's my story and I am sticking to it. Thank you all for your input.

You guys should see the 1882 Seated Liberty Dime that I found near these... You would throw a fit if you saw what it looks like now, lol...

Ohhhh... Now I have to take my coins to the grave too, lol... Maybe someone will dig up the cache buried in my coffin, and then they will be recirculated, but still have no value.

Anthony

Attachments

• 1906 Barber Quarter Front.png
    1906 Barber Quarter Front.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,312
  • 1906 Barber Quarter Back.png
    1906 Barber Quarter Back.png
    159.9 KB · Views: 1,312
Upvote 0
You're on a roll, just don't polish a key or rare date like that! Not sure how long you've been interested in coins, or have detected, but if not long you might grow to not like that type of cleaned condition. I have a couple friends that did the same thing to Spanish reales. (8R & 2R)

Iron Patch said:
You're on a roll, just don't polish a key or rare date like that! Not sure how long you've been interested in coins, or have detected, but if not long you might grow to not like that type of cleaned condition. I have a couple friends that did the same thing to Spanish reales. (8R & 2R)

Well... I have OCD, lol, and I can't stop until they look perfect. I don't ever plan on selling the coins that I find, and I am aware of key dates, but I love them too much to give them up. I would never clean anything rare though, because of the historical value. I always check the values online before I clean them. My dad says the same thing, lol...

CRUSADER said:

I clean them with SF-77, which is a degreaser, made by Damon Products. Absolutely the best degreaser for coins. Then I polish them with Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, because it gives them a mirror finish. Sometimes I use NEVR-DULL by Eagle One, if they really need to be cleaned, and then I will go back over them a couple of times with the Mothers. I also use paper towels to buff because cotton leaves fine scratches.

XPress2 said:
Iron Patch said:

Well... I have OCD, lol, and I can't stop until they look perfect. I don't ever plan on selling the coins that I find, and I am aware of key dates, but I love them too much to give them up. I would never clean anything rare though, because of the historical value. I always check the values online before I clean them. My dad says the same thing, lol...

I think your definition of perfect is very different than most of us here. ;D As long as you know what you're doing (and seems you do) have at it! :thumbsup:

I think I have OCD too... but just in a different way! :laughing7:

XPress2 said:
CRUSADER said:

I clean them with SF-77, which is a degreaser, made by Damon Products. Absolutely the best degreaser for coins. Then I polish them with Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, because it gives them a mirror finish. Sometimes I use NEVR-DULL by Eagle One, if they really need to be cleaned, and then I will go back over them a couple of times with the Mothers. I also use paper towels to buff because cotton leaves fine scratches.

That explains it, never seen any quite as polished looking.
I understand the not selling bit that you mentioned (see my spare room as an example), & that they are yours to do as you please. I've had my cleaning nightmares & I now think less is more. In that, I have the choice in the future to professionally clean anything I own but I can't undo any over cleaning. Conservation of course is another issue.

:hello:

Nice coin, but I think over cleaned coins don't look nice :P much rather see a nice Cabinet Toned Silver Coin :)

SS

Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

Nice coin, but I think over cleaned coins don't look nice :P much rather see a nice Cabinet Toned Silver Coin :)

SS

Thank you... Personally, I wouldn't change a thing with this coin. It's absolutely beautiful, and restored to it's original beauty. We all have something to offer in this forum, and this I what I can bring to the table. I was lucky enough to find what I did, and even luckier to have it closely resemble it's original condition.

Nice quarter! I know it takes different strokes for different folks. I don't know if you are planning to leave your collection to a loved one at some time, but if you are, it won't have much value beyond scrap silver prices if they are polished that way. Don't take me wrong here, I am not criticizing...they're yours to do with what you will. Just adding another thing to think about if you haven't already. I personally like highly polished silver, but not beyond the original mint luster (which can't be duplicated with cleaners) when it comes to coins. I'd still be really excited to find that quarter... I only have found one barber quarter...same year as yours. Looks like you have a great site to hunt! Good luck with it!

Nice find. The coin is yours to do with what you please and am happy that you enjoy them so much. I collect, buy and sell coins from all over and unfortunately as someone mentioned here that if oneday you do decide to sell or pass on down the line they will only be worth scrap value. Polishing or cleaning coins in any way really does destroy any monetary value they may have had , You say that dosent matter to you now but in 20yrs from now when you pull that set out of the attick and look over them the difference could be considerable in terms of dollar value. I make a reasonable amount of money buying and selling and you cant giveaway those cleaned ones. However i think yours would look nice in a ring or pendant.

Cheers Sasnz

Nice polish job and a great coin ! :o :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

People are very sensitive about cleaning coins on here, don't sweat it. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Keep @ It and HH !! ;D :D

XPress2 said:
Iron Patch said:

One thing you should always keep in mind when finding a coin is that you are in most cases not going to be the final owner. Do future owners of coins justice and try not to ruin coins by cleaning them... That coin without polishing would have fetched around $100... now more like $5....

Alan

The coin looks like a copy. :icon_scratch: It probally is geniune, but thats just my opinion from the picture.
Very nice find though.

Nice looking coin personally i would not clean it but to each there own i saw a few 1906 Barber,s no mint mark in the same condition's as yours uncleaned like at least XVF going for 220.00 to 280.00, if thats what you like and not interested in selling Good luck :thumbsup: Dd60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back