Exceptional Quality - 1906 Barber Quarter... ;o)

XPress2

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this 1906 Barber Quarter yesterday in an area that I found a 1907 Barber Dime, last week. I am shocked at the exceptional condition this coin is in, however, the Barber Dime matches its quality perfectly. I posted the dime on the 25th of May, I think, if you are interested in comparing the two. This is now my favorite coin in my collection, and I can't imagine getting anything better. I found it with my Fisher F4, and it was no deeper than 3"... Lucky me, lol...

OK... Sorry to cause such a huge coin cleaning debate in the forums today... Next time, I will post it dirt and all, lol. It's not fake, it is mine, I am lucky to have found it, along with the others, in very good condition. I am not concerned about passing them down, selling them, or doing anything but looking at them, because they are mine. I understand completely, everyone's suggestions, and have reconsidered posting my other finds as a result. Personally, I don't see the value in a dirty old coin like most members do. That's my story and I am sticking to it. Thank you all for your input.

You guys should see the 1882 Seated Liberty Dime that I found near these... You would throw a fit if you saw what it looks like now, lol...

Ohhhh... Now I have to take my coins to the grave too, lol... Maybe someone will dig up the cache buried in my coffin, and then they will be recirculated, but still have no value.

Anthony

Attachments

• 1906 Barber Quarter Front.png
    1906 Barber Quarter Front.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,312
  • 1906 Barber Quarter Back.png
    1906 Barber Quarter Back.png
    159.9 KB · Views: 1,312
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
You're on a roll, just don't polish a key or rare date like that! Not sure how long you've been interested in coins, or have detected, but if not long you might grow to not like that type of cleaned condition. I have a couple friends that did the same thing to Spanish reales. (8R & 2R)
I did it once to an 1895 Barber Quarter. It was heavily oxidized and pure black. Only once.
Chris

nice barber!!! i use Wright's silver cream on the regs and it does not over shine... MR TUFF

You should'nt have polished the coin! It's worth considerably less now. Nice find though. kane 23

Sorry if my humor was lost on some.

Anthony already understands the consequences of polishing an important coin, as previously stated, and this is not one of them so he is very happy with the results and so am I. It looks very nice, IMHO.

BTW Crusader, I polish and drill holes in everything I dig up.

Cheers.

Jim

Yes, you have every right to do whatever you'd like with your coins that you find, no doubt about that.

However, I am more than just little bewildered at your short-sightedness. Unless all of your finds go to the grave with you there will most definately be another owner at some point..............a very sad new owner.

Why would you take the time to dig history, save history and then destroy history?? :icon_scratch:

HH all!

Greg

XPress2 said:
I clean them with SF-77, which is a degreaser, made by Damon Products. Absolutely the best degreaser for coins. Then I polish them with Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, because it gives them a mirror finish. Sometimes I use NEVR-DULL by Eagle One, if they really need to be cleaned, and then I will go back over them a couple of times with the Mothers. I also use paper towels to buff because cotton leaves fine scratches.

Although I can't physically SEE it, I can almost HEAR half of T-Net gasping for air and grinding their teeth into nubs.

Sim_Player said:

Anthony already understands the consequences of polishing an important coin, as previously stated, and this is not one of them so he is very happy with the results and so am I. It looks very nice, IMHO.

Cheers.

Jim

Good for you :icon_thumright:

fathead said:
Great coin!

The ones that I have seen are all pretty worn and no amount of polishing will change that. Yours must have been lost coming out of the mint door.

As for cleaning, I think it looks awesome. I usually scrape mine with my digging tool which also makes this forum cringe.

Do you detail cars for a living? I think you would clean up.

-Fathead

Actually... I do a lot of car detailing for fun, but not for a living. No pun intended about "cleaning up", I assume, lol... I just have OCD and a passion for restoring metal. May sound weird but we all have something that we are gifted or cursed with...

GopherDaGold said:
XPress2 said:
I clean them with SF-77, which is a degreaser, made by Damon Products. Absolutely the best degreaser for coins. Then I polish them with Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, because it gives them a mirror finish. Sometimes I use NEVR-DULL by Eagle One, if they really need to be cleaned, and then I will go back over them a couple of times with the Mothers. I also use paper towels to buff because cotton leaves fine scratches.

Although I can't physically SEE it, I can almost HEAR half of T-Net gasping for air and grinding their teeth into nubs.

Haha... This has been one of my favorite replies... Just try to imagine that not everyone shares the same enthusiasm for a dirty, old coin.

Sim_Player said:

Cheers.

Jim

Thank you... I appreciate your appreciation of the work that I put into this coin.

kane23 said:
You should'nt have polished the coin! It's worth considerably less now. Nice find though. kane 23

It never was worth anything... Maximum value is like $8.00, cleaned or uncleaned. It's not that rare of a coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back