Exceptional Quality - 1906 Barber Quarter... ;o)

XPress2

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this 1906 Barber Quarter yesterday in an area that I found a 1907 Barber Dime, last week. I am shocked at the exceptional condition this coin is in, however, the Barber Dime matches its quality perfectly. I posted the dime on the 25th of May, I think, if you are interested in comparing the two. This is now my favorite coin in my collection, and I can't imagine getting anything better. I found it with my Fisher F4, and it was no deeper than 3"... Lucky me, lol...

OK... Sorry to cause such a huge coin cleaning debate in the forums today... Next time, I will post it dirt and all, lol. It's not fake, it is mine, I am lucky to have found it, along with the others, in very good condition. I am not concerned about passing them down, selling them, or doing anything but looking at them, because they are mine. I understand completely, everyone's suggestions, and have reconsidered posting my other finds as a result. Personally, I don't see the value in a dirty old coin like most members do. That's my story and I am sticking to it. Thank you all for your input.

You guys should see the 1882 Seated Liberty Dime that I found near these... You would throw a fit if you saw what it looks like now, lol...

Ohhhh... Now I have to take my coins to the grave too, lol... Maybe someone will dig up the cache buried in my coffin, and then they will be recirculated, but still have no value.

Anthony

Attachments

• 1906 Barber Quarter Front.png
    1906 Barber Quarter Front.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,312
  • 1906 Barber Quarter Back.png
    1906 Barber Quarter Back.png
    159.9 KB · Views: 1,312
Upvote 0
nova said:
The coin looks like a copy. :icon_scratch: It probally is geniune, but thats just my opinion from the picture.
Very nice find though.

It's not a copy... I will show you exactly where I found it if you are interested. I have said too much in this post for your response to be validated. I am a graphic designer and that's why I am good at taking the pictures of my coins.

XPress2 said:
nova said:
The coin looks like a copy. :icon_scratch: It probally is geniune, but thats just my opinion from the picture.
Very nice find though.

I am a graphic designer and that's why I am good at taking the pictures of my coins.

That has nothing to do with it, it's the cleaning, and I did a double take whether it was legit or not. But I remember your other coins, plus a repo Barber would be an odd one on here and I wouldn't expect it.

Great coin!

The ones that I have seen are all pretty worn and no amount of polishing will change that. Yours must have been lost coming out of the mint door.

As for cleaning, I think it looks awesome. I usually scrape mine with my digging tool which also makes this forum cringe.

Do you detail cars for a living? I think you would clean up.

-Fathead

Nice!!

Anthony....I personally don't care how much you clean them, they are yours!! Just keep showin' and sharin' your finds for us to enjoy!!

Congrats!!

Dave

Iron Patch said:
XPress2 said:
nova said:
Very nice find though.

I am a graphic designer and that's why I am good at taking the pictures of my coins.

That has nothing to do with it, it's the cleaning, and I did a double take whether it was legit or not. But I remember your other coins, plus a repo Barber would be an odd one on here and I wouldn't expect it.

well thats 3 peoples minds it crossed

Resemble its original condition..you mean when it was dropped? Cuz it probably looked something like artzstuff1's coin originally when it was lost (much of the luster was probably gone from being in circulation for a bit). I find it interesting how different people find totally different perspectives to be desirable...for me, I like my coins to look as close as possible to when they were lost and clean try to clean without removing/adding any layers to the original surface of the coin. My dad, however, is like you. ;D

A silver dip would give a much better result than polishing if the desire is to get the coin looking close to its original condition. (Shiny without the excessive mirror reflection)

XPress2 said:
Thank you... Personally, I wouldn't change a thing with this coin. It's absolutely beautiful, and restored to it's original beauty.

It's very pretty, but even fresh out of the mint they never had that "mirror polish" that you gave to that coin. Original beauty, it's not - but beauty, it is. It's hard to say what the original condition of the coin is before the polishing, but looks like somewhere between VF and EF. It'd be considered a "type coin" now. You've easily buffed out 90% of the value of the original coin in terms of collection value.

Greg

Geez! If some folks are giving you grief for cleaning them I would threaten to drill a hole in them and wear it like a necklace.
:icon_thumright:

Jim

Sim_Player said:
Geez! If some folks are giving you grief for cleaning them I would threaten to drill a hole in them and wear it like a necklace.
:icon_thumright:

Jim

Who's giving grief? Its an open forum which freely gives advice & experience to anyone reading. Why don't you threaten to drill your own belongs, because your advice is about as useful.

IP and hammong are just offering helpful advice/info. XPress2 can do whatever he wants with it and with his coin. It's just that sometimes we don't know things til others on the forum point em out to us.

Nate in Ohio said:
IP and hammong are just offering helpful advice/info. XPress2 can do whatever he wants with it and with his coin. It's just that sometimes we don't know things til others on the forum point em out to us.

Exactly right :icon_thumright:

CRUSADER said:
Nate in Ohio said:

Exactly right :icon_thumright:

Like I said I have two buddies that have cleaned beautiful Spanish that way. Irorhorse and I had a good laugh a few years back when "Lucky Lee" told us he did such a bang-up polishing job on his 8 reale that he could see his reflection. Actually make that all three of us laughing because it's not that big of a deal!

Cleaning a coin that much only makes it look more shiny/polished. The numismatic value has depreciated greatly because of over cleaning. I know you said you would never clean a key/semi-key coin as you did this one, so at least you understand your consequences.

I also had to do a double take on it, because I didn't think it looked real.

icon_thumright

Jim

Actually, it wouldn't hurt it one bit if you were to do just like he said. :laughing9:

Here's a NGC proof 68 quarter that sold for over $7000. It doesn't have that polished look as yours does....it also has a ton more detail!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• 1906_pf68.jpg
    1906_pf68.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 550
nice barber i only clean my coins after checking red book values ive polished alot of mercurys just cause i like the shine

Captn SE said:
Cleaning a coin that much only makes it look more shiny/polished. The numismatic value has depreciated greatly because of over cleaning. I know you said you would never clean a key/semi-key coin as you did this one, so at least you understand your consequences.

I also had to do a double take on it, because I didn't think it looked real.

icon_thumright

Jim

Actually, it wouldn't hurt it one bit if you were to do just like he said. :laughing9:

Here's a NGC proof 68 quarter that sold for over $7000. It doesn't have that polished look as yours does....it also has a ton more detail!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

So what you're saying is it doesn't look original? ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back