Eagle seal wax stamp of some sort?

dgoodyear

Feb 5, 2018
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this yesterday in the middle of a farm field which is pretty interesting. It looks like some sort of wax seal stamper because everything is reversed and recessed. It's a few inches across (sorry don't have exact measurements as I'm working from the pics on my phone next to some other things I found but there is an ihp in the pic for size reference). It's also about 3/4" thick and solid so it has some weight to it. What's really cool about it is that it has an eagle with a shield in the middle holding the branches and arrows and the ribbon. It's been partially hit by a plow but you can read the writing. Around the top it says Consulate U.S.A. and at the bottom it says "Realejo." I think its all one word and the last letter I'm pretty sure is an O though a plow nicked it. There are no other markings on it but I'll bet it looks cool pressed in wax (assuming that's what its for). The only things I can find are Realejo is a city in South America. The eagle design looks older and closer to 1800's though I honestly don't know. It's really cool either way.
Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg

very cool find,love the eagle, some info
search term....consulate realejo, brings up
a newspaper mention of a
E. S. Lane, Esq., Consulate Agent, Realejo, Nicaragua
Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 4.30.04 PM.png

Sacramento Daily Union, Volume 1, Number 33, 25 April 1851
Page 1 Advertisements Column 4
https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SDU18510425.2.3.4&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1

A mr. j e russell is mentioned for the postion of consulate realejo
in march 1862,not sure if he was appointed
https://books.google.com/books?id=-...ge&q=mr. j e russell consulate realejo&f=true
following the para is this
Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 5.26.06 PM.png

Upvote 0
Great stuff! Thanks for finding the links. I found this in Somerset County Md area. I'm hoping between information like what you're finding and possibly going backwards with land records, they'll meet somewhere that makes really cool sense!

Upvote 0
From the ebay listing I found I thought I'd screenshot the one or two images there for reference here just in case the listing goes away. One is an original letter using a very similar seal (for Montreal office in 1854) and the other is a closer image of the seal.. its spot on, just a different city.
2019-05-14 19_33_30-U.S. Consulate Letter Of Introduction To Embassy In Montreal 1854 _ eBay.jpg
2019-05-14 19_36_09-U.S. Consulate Letter Of Introduction To Embassy In Montreal 1854 _ eBay.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back