Pretty Sure I Dug Up a Previously Unknown Type of George Washington Inaugural Button!!!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been awhile since I last posted here! I've been digging as much as possible, but mostly posting on Instagram as I've been trying to build myself up to maybe doing long-format digging videos or something similar. Getting the hang of all that has been a slow and time consuming process for me though! :laughing7:

I just found this over the weekend and had to post it here in part because I'm really curious to see if anyone else has found anything like it! I'm pretty confident in my assessment of it, but the idea that I discovered a new type of GWI button is just so unfathomably crazy that I would love some input!

The site is an early Dutch settler's house that I stumbled on this past summer. It's completely buried in thick, woody scrub and to detect anything I have to cut down every single one and drag it away to get at the ground. Fortunately the landowner is 100% on board with that, but it's a ton of work and very slow so I can only do small sections at a time. This past weekend I cleared a little area next to the cellar hole itself and was pulling out some nice relics and even a draped bust half cent! I got a choppy tone and from the same plug I pulled a brass flat button, iron rod, and a big pewter button. At first the pewter button looked plain, but it air dried and I could start to see a design on the face:

Dug Button Front.jpg

Quickly I realized I could see wings! I was still thinking possibly military, so I packed a little baggy with the button and dirt so I could work on it at home. The edges were crumbling a little so I knew cleaning it without loosing edge chunks would be tricky. My technique with these is to do a very cursory clean of the reverse and edges with water and let it almost completely dry on the back, with the front siting on a damp towel. Once the back is mostly dry, I seal it and the edges with several coats of the 50/50 glue and water mixture and let it completely dry. At that point I can work on the front with the button at least partially stabilized. The front was just very slow and careful work with an Andre's brush, but as the pewter polished down, I could see more and more of the design appear and it became clear what I was!

GWI Button Front 2.jpg

GWI Button Reverse 1.jpg

Classic heraldic eagle with two bands of edge beading! It even had a six-pointed start above the eagle's head which is what really clinches it for me as a GWI button. It's a little tough to see in the above photo, but with some more extreme light shading the star starts to pop out:

GWI Button Front 1.jpg

It's pretty much identical to the heraldic eagle and estoile style buttons except that the material is pewter and the image is mirrored. The eagle is still facing towards the olive branch, but they're in the left talons on this button. I don't think the maker did this intentionally, I think instead this is a less sophisticated button maker who used one of the brass ones as a model and inadvertently mirrored the central design.

The GWI buttons were popular, but expensive, so it isn't too far fetched that a local pewter button maker would try to put out their own version to capitalize on the fervor. The dual circles of beading show that there was still a high degree of craftsmanship and the button maker certainly intended this to be part of a high-quality set. I'm mostly just surprised that there aren't other examples out there. I did look around and there are some smaller GWI eagle buttons, but they seem to universally be brass or copper. There's a script "GW" button that's pewter, but very few examples seem to exist of that one. Could be a similar situation though where a pewter smith put out a limited number locally and they just weren't made in large numbers so few have survived.

This is definitely the crown jewel of the site so far, but there are many other 18th century and later relics from this spot. The intact rat-tail pewter spoon is pretty rare for me:

Pewter Spoon 1.jpg

Pewter Spoon 2.jpg

Nice handful of smaller relics including an absolutely gorgeous openwork dandy button:

Assorted Finds.jpg

Finally a surprisingly intact pewter wick assembly from a whale oil lamp:

Whale Oil Lamp 1.jpg
Whale Oil Lamp 2.jpg

This has been such an incredible site, and I've only cleared about 1/3 of it so far! I'm really hoping more GWI buttons from the set are around and maybe even in a better state of preservation! Even if I don't find more, finding just this one will make clearing all that ground worthwhile and if I really have found a new variety talk about a piece of history!!!

Upvote 60
There's another good article from Carlton University on colonial pewter marketing here:

file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/pcarson,+vol_6,Witkowski,page+27.pdf

The import restrictions stopped at the end of the Revolutionary War so pewter smiths could likely buy ingots and such starting in the 1780s. There was definitely a domestic pewter manufacturing industry prior to that too, they just relied on recycled pewter to cast new goods. It seems some pewter smiths advertised a three for one deal, where they would provide 1 pound of new cast pewter ware in exchange for 3 pounds of scrap pewter. I often dig up pewter fragments that are cleanly clipped which I imagine would have gone towards this sort of exchange. Pretty neat history though!

Yes you are on an excellent site. And much more digging to go! Hope you can find more goodies to show us. Good luck.

Yes you are on an excellent site. And much more digging to go! Hope you can find more goodies to show us. Good luck.
Thank you! More digging is the plan as long as the weather cooperates and the ground stays thawed! :laughing7:

Very interesting post and thread. That is a special button for sure, and I admire your cleaning/preservation skills.

Man, those are some old relics there. Congrats on the rare button. :hello2:
I love those rat tail spoons. I hope I dig one some day.
MM

Very interesting post and thread. That is a special button for sure, and I admire your cleaning/preservation skills.
Thank you! Some of my best ever buttons are pewter, but they are so stressful to work on! I wish more GWI buttons were made of tombac, those always seem to be in perfect shape. :laughing7:

Been awhile since I last posted here! I've been digging as much as possible, but mostly posting on Instagram as I've been trying to build myself up to maybe doing long-format digging videos or something similar. Getting the hang of all that has been a slow and time consuming process for me though! :laughing7:

I just found this over the weekend and had to post it here in part because I'm really curious to see if anyone else has found anything like it! I'm pretty confident in my assessment of it, but the idea that I discovered a new type of GWI button is just so unfathomably crazy that I would love some input!

The site is an early Dutch settler's house that I stumbled on this past summer. It's completely buried in thick, woody scrub and to detect anything I have to cut down every single one and drag it away to get at the ground. Fortunately the landowner is 100% on board with that, but it's a ton of work and very slow so I can only do small sections at a time. This past weekend I cleared a little area next to the cellar hole itself and was pulling out some nice relics and even a draped bust half cent! I got a choppy tone and from the same plug I pulled a brass flat button, iron rod, and a big pewter button. At first the pewter button looked plain, but it air dried and I could start to see a design on the face:

View attachment 2131230

Quickly I realized I could see wings! I was still thinking possibly military, so I packed a little baggy with the button and dirt so I could work on it at home. The edges were crumbling a little so I knew cleaning it without loosing edge chunks would be tricky. My technique with these is to do a very cursory clean of the reverse and edges with water and let it almost completely dry on the back, with the front siting on a damp towel. Once the back is mostly dry, I seal it and the edges with several coats of the 50/50 glue and water mixture and let it completely dry. At that point I can work on the front with the button at least partially stabilized. The front was just very slow and careful work with an Andre's brush, but as the pewter polished down, I could see more and more of the design appear and it became clear what I was!

View attachment 2131231
View attachment 2131234

Classic heraldic eagle with two bands of edge beading! It even had a six-pointed start above the eagle's head which is what really clinches it for me as a GWI button. It's a little tough to see in the above photo, but with some more extreme light shading the star starts to pop out:

View attachment 2131233

It's pretty much identical to the heraldic eagle and estoile style buttons except that the material is pewter and the image is mirrored. The eagle is still facing towards the olive branch, but they're in the left talons on this button. I don't think the maker did this intentionally, I think instead this is a less sophisticated button maker who used one of the brass ones as a model and inadvertently mirrored the central design.

The GWI buttons were popular, but expensive, so it isn't too far fetched that a local pewter button maker would try to put out their own version to capitalize on the fervor. The dual circles of beading show that there was still a high degree of craftsmanship and the button maker certainly intended this to be part of a high-quality set. I'm mostly just surprised that there aren't other examples out there. I did look around and there are some smaller GWI eagle buttons, but they seem to universally be brass or copper. There's a script "GW" button that's pewter, but very few examples seem to exist of that one. Could be a similar situation though where a pewter smith put out a limited number locally and they just weren't made in large numbers so few have survived.

This is definitely the crown jewel of the site so far, but there are many other 18th century and later relics from this spot. The intact rat-tail pewter spoon is pretty rare for me:

View attachment 2131235
View attachment 2131236

Nice handful of smaller relics including an absolutely gorgeous openwork dandy button:

View attachment 2131237

Finally a surprisingly intact pewter wick assembly from a whale oil lamp:

View attachment 2131238View attachment 2131239

This has been such an incredible site, and I've only cleared about 1/3 of it so far! I'm really hoping more GWI buttons from the set are around and maybe even in a better state of preservation! Even if I don't find more, finding just this one will make clearing all that ground worthwhile and if I really have found a new variety talk about a piece of history!!!
Congratulations! These are nice finds. One of them caught my eye. I found one of these as well on a farm in Pennsylvania. Can you tell me what it is (pic of yours attached, mine is identical).

Attachments

• IMG_8249.jpeg
    IMG_8249.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 14
Congratulations! These are nice finds. One of them caught my eye. I found one of these as well on a farm in Pennsylvania. Can you tell me what it is (pic of yours attached, mine is identical).
Part of a shoebuckle

Yup, it's half of the internal mechanism from a Georgian era (1700s) shoe buckle. Below is a photo of a complete one to give you an idea of how the whole thing was assembled:

Georgian_Shoe_Buckle_-_Top_View_(FindID_613388).jpg

The mechanism was held in with just an iron or brass pin so they broke apart easily and it's not unusual to find them separate. Every now and then I get lucky and find a whole one which is a real treat!

Yup, it's half of the internal mechanism from a Georgian era (1700s) shoe buckle. Below is a photo of a complete one to give you an idea of how the whole thing was assembled:

View attachment 2132286

The mechanism was held in with just an iron or brass pin so they broke apart easily and it's not unusual to find them separate. Every now and then I get lucky and find a whole one which is a real treat!
Wow, this is really something. Thank you for the detailed explanation!

AMAZING finds :) !!!!!!!!!!!

I agree but pewter was limited in what was sent here from England. A true craftsmen or lesser craftsmen as you mentioned also making a button defiant of English rule I would think wouldn’t be sitting around a campfire moulding them and for zero to be known of other then yours. Have you looked at other country’s military buttons to maybe find a match?
LOL.. Since they were made to celebrate George Washington becoming our first President do you really think they cared what the English rule was ?

The point is the scarcity of that particular metal at that time. Where is it shown it was made at that time? Could have been a novelty item like tokens from 1830’s.

The point is the scarcity of that particular metal at that time. Where is it shown it was made at that time? Could have been a novelty item like tokens from 1830’s.

GWI buttons were manufactured starting in 1789 and at least through Washington's two terms. Trade restrictions of pewter ended after the Revolutionary War so obtaining pewter in the late 1780s or early 1790s would have been much less difficult.

Pewter buttons are also very common on 18th century sites and unusual on 19th century sites as fashion styles had changed and domestically produced brass buttons became much cheaper and more plentiful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back