Danimals lunchtime unearthments-10/26 update-ok dig

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Danimal's lunchtime unearthments-10/26 update-ok dig

So yesterday I started hunting an area just behind where all my lunchtime digs have taken place. Same woods, just deeper and older. Hunting alongside an old roadbed (just two deep ruts running through the woods) I found a 1887 Indian Head Penny. This REALLY is my first found IH. My other one was kinda a gimme from Mirage's son Nate, who allowed me to listen to and dig a signal he though might be an IH, as it was near some he found.
This one I found on my own!...felt real good. It's in real rough shape, but the date was easily readable after a peroxide soak and brass brushing.
I also found a musketball in beautiful condition, unfired (but I can't find it now!...might be in my car somewhere).
Since this is still near where I work, I will devote the next few weeks hunting this older area and see what else I can find!

HH all!

Attachments

• 1887indian.jpg
    1887indian.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,408
Upvote 0
Re: Danimal's lunchtime unearthments-10/26 update-ok dig

The 44 mag cartridge was the design of Elmer Kieth.

The .44 Magnum is a large-bore, dual-use cartridge designed for revolvers; however it is also used in many rifles as well. It was developed in the mid-1950s by lengthening the .44 Special cartridge. Despite the ".44" designation, all guns chambered for .44 Magnum and its parent use bullets .429 inches (10.9 mm) in diameter. A .44 Magnum revolver or rifle will accept both .44 Magnum and .44 Special ammunition, but a weapon designed for .44 Special will only accept the Special, due to the longer overall length of a .44 Magnum cartridge.

Keep at it danimal!! You are sure to find more goodies. Great stuff!!

Danimal, first off cool finds I'm really enjoying the thread. Second, I think the weird lag bolt is a valve stem remover similar to this one.

Attachments

• valve stem remover.jpg
    valve stem remover.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 186
  • valve stem remover.jpg
    valve stem remover.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 176

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back