New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was over in Delaware today, had some business to take care of, so I knocked on a door and asked for permission. The owner said ok after he interrogated me as to "what exactly are you looking for?" I told him old relics and old advertising tokens. He said, "ok but outside the fence" which meant the front and side yards.
This rang 13-46 at 6 inches, down eight inches I found it. I believe it is a match stick case, I looked hard for the other half/lid. It came out looking like silver, couple hours later I had myself convinced it was aluminum. I looked and looked for a silver mark and could not find one. So I broke out the baking soda and a few minutes later I seen the sterling mark.

Enjoy the pix
HH & GL
Brad

Upvote 25
Oh yeah, Abe, I used a dremel with 800 grit sandpaper and baking soda, two minutes later this was the finished product. That's how commercial roofers do things, fast and hard. It frees us up for metal detecting. And guess what else, I'm going to have to do that four letter word next week instead of metal detecting.

WORK! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, lol.

My oh my! At six inches?! I just bet that was a screamer! :)
What did the homeowner say about it?

Really nice!

Very nice. Fancy

That's a sweet honkin chunk of silver. I use an ultrasonic cleaner on my goodies, have you tried that method?

Nice find Brad. I got an interrogation this morning too lol. "How many hours do you detect at a time? How many times will you come back? Exactly where do you plan on detecting? If you find something valuable will you share with us? Will you text me before coming over?" I felt like I was asking to date their daughter instead of detecting their property! But, I got a yes for this Friday!

That's a sweet honkin chunk of silver. I use an ultrasonic cleaner on my goodies, have you tried that method?

Not yet, I hope you realized that the dremel was a joke. I used hot water and baking soda paste

Thanks Ray and Dave and everyone else. I noticed that the sterling mark was a little different . The s is backwards, George says that means it's English. I wish I could put a date on it. If anyone knows please let me know.

Very nice find my man! That CTX is treating you well! GL&HH.

Beautiful sterling match safe!
If you look on the bottom of the case there should be a "wash-board" pattern used for striking the matches.

About two years ago I found the bottom portion of one and spent about an hour looking for the missing top portion. . . no luck. Then, about two years later my friend & I were hunting the same park and he found the missing top and gave it to me as a gift. . . how nice was that!

Nice!, you've been finding some beautiful silver lately brad!

That's a beautiful piece. I've found them in the past but have yet to get one in silver.

Beautiful sterling match safe!
If you look on the bottom of the case there should be a "wash-board" pattern used for striking the matches.

About two years ago I found the bottom portion of one and spent about an hour looking for the missing top portion. . . no luck. Then, about two years later my friend & I were hunting the same park and he found the missing top and gave it to me as a gift. . . how nice was that!
SAM_0971.JPG

There it is, thanks that is so cool, any idea how old? That was great of your buddy.

Dave (old dude) you are very funny!

Beautiful piece! Hope you find the lid!

The houses are on top of one another, same type foundations, could be in the neighbors yard. The side yard where I found it is, no lie, 6 ft wide on both houses. They must hear each other flush their toilets! I hope the neighbor says yes!

Very nice find my man! That CTX is treating you well! GL&HH.
Wish you were with me.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I forgot, found two wheats, 1945 and a 1958. George said I'm getting spoiled because I didn't, last few post even mention the wheats.That's not good I should have more gratitude!

View attachment 1063901

There it is, thanks that is so cool, any idea how old? That was great of your buddy.

Dave (old dude) you are very funny!

If I had to venture a guess for age, I would say early 1900's.
The match safe I found was engraved 1902 and had the word "sterling" marked along the top edge of the case (same as yours).

Again, wonderful recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back