✅ SOLVED Crossed Cannon Hat Plate

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Found this yesterday, so far it has not been ID'ed in any of the books. It is one piece stamped brass, looks like there were hook on the reverse. It is a lot like a crossed rifle hat plate I saw dug in he same area. Circa 1830 - 1850s. I hae checked all the books and googlrd till I can't google no more!

If anyone ha any ideas, please let me know. There were bother Artty and rifle militia in the area during the time .

Update: It is 3 1/4" by 1 3/4". It looks like it had solder marks on the reverse, typical of the small wire you see on hat plates. It is very thin, so I have my doubts about it being a belt plate. The area it came from has produced everything from very early Virginia buttons to eagle and US belt plates. First picture is the obverse and the second is the reverse.

Thanks!

Attachments

• obverse.jpg
    obverse.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 112
  • reverse.jpg
    reverse.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Upvote 0
MB this looks like the same type of cannon, minus the attachment loops, this insignia is from
a kepi from the US, Indian Wars, 1872, maybe a route to check out

# 001339
US, Indian Wars, 1872 - 1895 Crossed Artillery Cannons for Kepi or Campaign Hat
Hayes Otoupalik

kepi Hayes Otoupalik U.S. Indian Wars
DSCF2161.jpg
yours
attachment.php

Last edited:
Upvote 0
MB this looks like the same type of cannon, minus the attachment loops, this insignia is from
a kepi from the US, Indian Wars, 1872, maybe a route to check out

# 001339
US, Indian Wars, 1872 - 1895 Crossed Artillery Cannons for Kepi or Campaign Hat
Hayes Otoupalik

kepi Hayes Otoupalik U.S. Indian Wars
View attachment 943056
yours
attachment.php

I agree the cannons do have that style, but the fact it is stamped on a thin plate... most likely a cross belt plat, is the stickler. It really is just th not knowing where it cme from... militia, school etc.. seems it has had ti have been reference someplace! I would just like to be able to attribute it, and no one seems to have seen one reference anywhere. I "might" be a little anal retentive about it!! ;-)

Thanks!
MB

Upvote 0
I'll post complete information later.. but it has been ID'ed!! Bannerman made plate for Militia, ROTC etc.. fits with other items found in the area.. post Civil War.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back