Civil War site Still Weird - Got an ID!!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I have been hunting a Civil War site where Sherman and his troops prepared to invade Savannah, GA to complete his "March to the Sea." I can throw a rock and hit the building he headquartered in for several days. My first find at the site turned out to be a Police Uniform button, next find a twist-lock closure. Now I find this.

I have no clue as to what it is. My only thought right now is that if I keep looking, I may uncover the burial site of a UK Policeman. It's just weird.

It is a representation of either the King's Crown or St. Edward's Crown. It has three straight lugs on the back all with a hole in them.

Any ideas as to what weird crap I've managed to find now????

Attachments

• KingCrown.jpg
    KingCrown.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,363
  • St-EdwardsCrown.jpg
    St-EdwardsCrown.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,358
  • badge1.jpg
    badge1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,356
  • Badge2.jpg
    Badge2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,353
Re: Civil War site Still Weird

Just a guess BP, but is it possible it could be from revolutionary times. The Bristh be a comin'.

Upvote 0

The building Sherman occupied was built in 1734. I also found a large musket ball in the same area. Last year, a friend found a cut 8 reale in the field across the valley from the hill I am hunting.

British seemed a real possibility to me as well. It's just funny, I'm hunting one of the most famous Civil war sites in the State and I keep finding "other" stuff. Just my luck. Guess I'll have to "hunt" Ebay for my Civil war stuff. LOL

Daryl

Upvote 0

WW1 IS WHAT ERA THAT YOU SHOULD START LOOKING AT, I HAVE FOUND ONE LIKE THAT WHERE OUR TROOPS WERE TRAINING BACK IN 1916, RANKS CHANGED QUICK AND I THINK THAT YOURS AND MINE WAS PINCHED ON THE BARRET OR FORGE CAP OR ON THE UNIFORM.
WARRENT OFFICERS CROWN (TOP PART OF) PLACED ABOVE THE INSIGNEA, YOU NOTICED THE 2 POINTS ON THE BACK THAT WERE PUSHED THREW THE MATERIAL,THEN PRESSED BACK. ::)

OOPS, I WOULD SAY THAT YOU CROWN GOES BACK TO THE EARLY 1800'S

Upvote 0

Hi Hardy,

Can you post a picture of yours? Mine has three rectangular lugs with holes in them on the back. They aren't pointed to be pushed through and they aren't made to bend.

Is your the King's Crown or the St. Edward's Crown? What is yours made of? I don't think mine is brass. Can't tell what it is yet.

Thanks for the info. I'll look at some WWI uniform stuff.

Daryl

Upvote 0

MINE IS ALOT SMALLER AND WAS LOST :-\ BUT MADE OF COPPER AND WAS HALF THE SIZE OF YOURS BUD, I THINK YOURS WAS WORN ABOVE THE CUFF AND FROM A EARLIER TIME PERIOD.
HENSE THE WAR OF 1812 COMES TO MIND. ::) I LOOKED LIKE CRAZY FOR THE SAME THING IN THE BOOKS , YET HAD NO LUCK UNTIL AN OLD TIMMER TOLD ME WHAT IT WAS.

Upvote 0

Too bad you lost it. I guess if nobody ever lost anything, we wouldn't find anything. When somebody does find it, let them figure out how it got there.

I think it is British and earlier than WWI too. When I look at uniforms from that period, the crown they used was the smooth top. Not the one with the dip like the one I found.

Thanks for the help.

Daryl

Attachments

• British1.jpg
    British1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,301
  • British2.jpg
    British2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,278
Upvote 0

WELL WE KNOW ITS OLD, BRITISH AND A OFFICER'S CROWN. YOURS IS STILL A GEM AND I BET THE LADS THAT COLLECT EARLY BRITISH ISIGNIAS WOULD LOVE IT IN THEIR COLLECTION.

MY BETS ITS FROM THE 1812 TIME PERIOD ;D

Upvote 0

I think you are right on all counts. Just how the heck did it wind up in south Georgia where Sherman marched his men on his way to the sea?

I sure hope one of those collectors will shed some light on this. Maybe I'll post in the Revolutionary War Forum and see what they say.

Thanks!!

Daryl

Upvote 0

BioProfessor said:
I think you are right on all counts. Just how the heck did it wind up in south Georgia where Sherman marched his men on his way to the sea?

I sure hope one of those collectors will shed some light on this. Maybe I'll post in the Revolutionary War Forum and see what they say.

Thanks!!

Daryl

I believe Georgia has lots of Rev War artifacts that are found, I will PM you with a individual who hunts in that area and perhaps he will help you, but I am sure he has found quite a bit of Rev era artifacts in the general area, not sure exactly where but nearby I believe.

Don

Upvote 0

You may have seen this before but it shows savannah 1734 british colony.One day im going to make it there.. Did you find it by the palm tree ;D Busy place in 1734? Try a sifter along the waters edge ;) have fun /and goodluck

Attachments

• petergordon.jpg
    petergordon.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,209
Upvote 0

The British and Canadian Hussars had metal insignia similar to that design , I hope you figure it out ! Nice find !

Upvote 0

Since I was pretty sure it was British, I sent the image to the person that runs the hunts in Colchester, UK that I go on. He said it was a British cap badge and that they find some over there. He said the size and shape indicate era and use. Now that I can narrow it down, I am looking on sites that have British Cap Badges. Problem is, I can't find any that are old - 1800 - and any that are just the Crown. I can't find any indication that something broke off the piece so I have to assume it is complete. All the cap badges I find have the Crown (always the wrong shape) as part of a much larger insignia. This one is just getting tough.

Thanks for all the help.

And yes RelicDude07, I did find it by the palm tree. How did you know??? A sifter would be nice along the waters edge IF SAVANNAH HAD A WATER'S EDGE!! It's all seawall now. The closest beach is where I am on Tybee island. Site of Fort Pulaski where the new Union artillery shell took down the 3 foot thick walls and changed the war.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Daryl ..Im sure savannah has changed over the past 300 yrs.. If you can find that area the map shows, and then search shallow water and land near by , im sure there are lots of goodies ..I have never been to savannah ,so im not sure about the sea walls and where that spot is even at.But it looks like a great place to live.. GOODLUCK p.s. it was just a guess on the palm tree ;)

Upvote 0

I have found some sites from old maps and such. Just can't get permission. I keep trying and getting rejected. With all the people suing everybody, the owners of the land will not let you on. Other known sites are all tied up with current or planned excavations or searches by the local university history department that has an association with the State Archeology group. I tried to find a place to search around Fort Pulaski. All the land within 6 miles is protected. I tried to hunt little Tybee Island (actually larger than Tybee and uninhabited and accessible only by boat) but the entire island is designated a nature conservancy site and is closed to hunting.

They are dead serious around here about hunting without permission. A member of the local MD club was detecting an city-owned industrial park that has been built but never occupied. Just bare land. No signs, no buildings, no roads, nothing. He was arrested for trespassing, his metal detector and all his accessories were confiscated, his truck was confiscated. He finally got it all back but spent in excess of $25,000.00 to stay out of jail and get his stuff. I'm just not ready to deal with that kind of mentality around here.

Daryl

Upvote 0

I got ya.. I thought it may have been over grown woods?You may have just save me a trip and alot of gas money. I have always dreamed about savannah to m.d. and was going to try and go soon.Thanks for the info

Upvote 0

I still think i might try it :)Can you see any big bluffs /cliffs by a river in savannah daryl ? Or do you know where this place is, the pic. shows? It could be downtown :-\ I just have to look it . I may ride my bike ,and use a cheap detector . If they take it all , they wont get much :D :D

Upvote 0

I'll try Google Maps Terrain to see.

Don't forget there is no "Get out of jail FREE" card here.

Daryl

Upvote 0

savannah was one of the worst battles during the rev war --- a huge battle took place between the british regulars and loyalist on one side and french and americans on the other ---the british held the town when the smoke cleared -- savannah was taken by the british early in the war and held until the very end by them --- check your history books and you'll see --- Ivan

Upvote 0

Yeah, I know they "did us in." I grew up in Georgia. But its just strange I'm hunting such a historical site for the Civil war and can't find anything related to it. I mean Geez, 30 miles from Savannah, a stones throw from Sherman's "house" for a few days, and in the middle of where more 20,000 troops camped and I find a police button from God knows where and a Cap Badge some are telling me is Scottish???? What do I have to do to find a civil war relic around this place? ???

Daryl

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back