Civil War site Still Weird - Got an ID!!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I have been hunting a Civil War site where Sherman and his troops prepared to invade Savannah, GA to complete his "March to the Sea." I can throw a rock and hit the building he headquartered in for several days. My first find at the site turned out to be a Police Uniform button, next find a twist-lock closure. Now I find this.

I have no clue as to what it is. My only thought right now is that if I keep looking, I may uncover the burial site of a UK Policeman. It's just weird.

It is a representation of either the King's Crown or St. Edward's Crown. It has three straight lugs on the back all with a hole in them.

Any ideas as to what weird crap I've managed to find now????

Attachments

• KingCrown.jpg
    KingCrown.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,363
  • St-EdwardsCrown.jpg
    St-EdwardsCrown.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,358
  • badge1.jpg
    badge1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,356
  • Badge2.jpg
    Badge2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,353
Re: Civil War site Still Weird

Thanks Relic Dude. I'm pretty sure it is a Cap Badge that signifies rank - Major - and it is from either the UK or Scotland. I just can't find out the period when it was used. If it wasn't the Revolutionary war, why is it in Georgia? I can find the Crown on other Cap Badges but they are not the right shape and most of the time the Cross on the top is missing.

Thanks for the help!!! It looks like on this one, I'm going to need all I can get. I am really surprised it hasn't been ID'ed yet. I thought it would be pretty simple.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Were there any Union regiments with Scottish ties in Sherman's army? There's a slim possibility it could have come from one of them. (I know there's a 79th "Highlander" regt, but I don't know if it made it down to Ga.)

Upvote 0

That's an interesting question. Maybe somebody can chime in. I'll look around too.

Thanks,

Daryl

Upvote 0

Would it help to say that this musket ball was found in the same area? Seems to be about a .69 Caliber.

Why did it have to be chewed? Oh Lordy, Lordy, what have I done????

Daryl

Attachments

• MusketBall.jpg
    MusketBall.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,001
Upvote 0

interesting... sure looks alot like the crown on the button I found today.

Attachments

• button close.jpg
    button close.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,021
Upvote 0

Sure does. That's the type crown I have been finding on most all the sites. Either a King's Crown or the St. Edward's crown. The difference is in the bottom. They are all flat so that the crown bottom appears "round." Mine is not flat. I can't find the curved bottom and the cross on the top anywhere I look.

There's something different and I can't figure out what the reason is.

Thanks for the help.

Daryl

Attachments

• KingCrown.jpg
    KingCrown.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 962
  • badge1.jpg
    badge1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 949
  • St-EdwardsCrown.jpg
    St-EdwardsCrown.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 949
  • KingCrown.jpg
    KingCrown.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 956
  • St-EdwardsCrown.jpg
    St-EdwardsCrown.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 955
  • badge1.jpg
    badge1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 943
Upvote 0
Here's the update. I sent some emails to some dealers in the UK. I got the same answer from both so I think it is good.

They both said that it not a cap badge. The lugs on the back aren't right.

They said it was a badge that would have been attached to leather. They said:

I don't think this is a cap badge. Off a leather cartridge pouch, possibly a Hessian or a British one circa 1776. In the case of a British one, there would have been a separate 'GR' pinned underneath the crown on the leather.

It would appear to be from the cartouche of an 18th century British soldier.

So, holy crap, I've got a find from the Revolutionary war.

Now about that chewed bullet. ;D

Thanks for all the help and direction.

Daryl

Upvote 0
EXCELLENT FIND! Glad you got an ID on it. I've been watching this thread for a while, and hesitant to post a reply because I didn't have an idea about your find. Congratulations!

-Buckleboy

Upvote 0
the british "brown bess" rifle was 72 cal -- however its ball was 69 cal in dia --undersized to be easily loaded due to heavy fouling by the black powder of the day --- hope this helps --- also 69 was the cal of the 1842 model "musket" type us infantry guns some of which were used in the civil war --- Ivan

Upvote 0
The curvature at the bottom does match these badges. :) (cartridge box badge)

Don

Ref: Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution by George C Neumann and Frank J. Kravic

Attachments

• GRbadge.jpg
    GRbadge.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 926
Upvote 0
think we got a winner here folks -- part of a cartridge box badge --- the 69 cal ball most likely from a british brown bess --- they used 69 cal balls in their 72 cal gun (slightly undersized to assist in loading do to fouling from the old blackpowder of the day --- Ivan

Upvote 0
Ahhhh, come on Daryl, I still think it is fake! LOL ;D So next time we meet up, I'll take it from ya. LOL

Nice find indeed, seems the site still yeilds some nice odd stuff. I was told that George Washington stayed at a tavern near the area (see the road side sign by the 4 way stop). I also heard that there is a lot of rev. war history in the area.

Good luck and quit chewing up the bullets! ;D

BTW, one of the bullets I found last weekend was partially melted, maybe when they cleared the area by burning, I don't know.

Upvote 0
Interesting find there BioProfessor!!! If you would like, I can take a gander at some old newspaper archives and see if I can find any articles to Sherman and/or any other occupied forces in that area...I can't promise anything, but be happy to search...never know ;)

Hope you find lots more interesting items!!!
Annmarie

Upvote 0
Funny thing about the find is that I found it in the leaf litter on top of the ground. If I had dug it, I would think the medallion that would have accompanied it (not attached to it) might be close. But it was scratched up by the chickens that live in the area. Over 200 years on the ground and it is in the leaf litter? Part of the weirdness of the site.

Daryl

Upvote 0
Very nice find, BioProfessor!

Over 200 years on the ground and it is in the leaf litter?

In the 1920s my father kicked up some treasure while swinging on a swing . It was just an inch under the surface. He kicked up a couple of gold doubloons & an awesome ring. The coins were lost when their house burned down in 1931. I'm not sure if he found it at his house in Millhaven or the the newer house in Girard. It's totally possible for very old items to be near the surface.

My cousins in the area are just getting into MDing. I will be sure to pass on your info about hunting restrictions to them. I'm glad you posted that! So far they are just hunting on their own land.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back