Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Silver uMax

Attachments

• 20120328193317.jpg
    20120328193317.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Hard to say. Put a dime in the photo for size reference.

And please resize the pic before posting.

Thx

DCMatt

Upvote 0
will do this evening when i get home...resize? smaller?

Did some more research last night and they do resemble the .54 merrill

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cadman68, I was typing this reply when your new one showed up. Your bullets look exactly like a civil war era US .54-caliber Merrill Carbine bullet. But for 100% certainty about that ID, we need to know your bullets' very-exact diameter measurement. Because the .54 Merrill Carbine is a Beechloading rifle (bullets get loaded into it from the back end of the barrel), Merrill Carbine bullets actually measure about .55-inch in diameter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
cannonball....ty for the reply and the measurement you gave for the diameter sounds promising, i was just thinking of putting some guestimate measurements on the post when your reply popped up....i was thinking the length is around 3/4"-1" and diameter is around 1/2" but i will measure this evening and post the dimensions.

I also read these guns were used mainly by csa calvary, which if true would further excite me because the campsite (or supposed campsite) is located in an area where forrest was known to have at the very least passed through.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You were right on the money cannonball..... .55" diameter and .75" in length....ty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back